Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Term Traveling with 280RK

We have been RV hunting for several years. Good, bad or otherwise, we are still in the hunt. Today we saw a 280RK for the first time. We absolutely love the inside. Our big concern is there is hardly any - and I mean small - outside storage.

Would love to hear from anyone traveling for a few months at a time how you carry what you/we would need. I don’t see how to carry much more than tubs for hoses, tools, maybe a couple of chairs. No room for portable grill, anything else.

Would appreciate any help!

v/r

TexSol20
    Last edited by TexSol20; 01-21-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: edit

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of the Solitude 280RK (which is being discontinued, by the way). The living area is not well-suited for long-term habitation. In addition, everyone starting out WAY underestimates the amount of stuff they will need/want to take with them. If you're interested in long-term traveling and longer stays, I would consider other models - assuming you have a truck that will handle the payload. This is just one person's opinion...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Storage has been a long time issue with some of the newer floor plans. If you find any of the S Class floorplans to your likking you will get better storage (except the 2930 is lacking a good basement in my opinion) alsso much more capacity.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the insight and replies so far. After coming home and thinking on it more, we do not see any way to travel long-term in a 280GK, or really even have someone visit.

Second Chance, how long have you had your 310GK? That is the model we initially went to go see. Pros/Cons? Enough storage space?

v/r

TexSol20

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We fulltime in the below S Class Solitude. Rob is right owners initially underestimate what they end up carrying long term. Our RV model has a massive storage compartment, and a CCC of 4,478# compared to many other Solitudes and we have just about filled our storage capacity, of course we fulltime. They don't make our model anymore

Check the different floorplans carefully for storage compartments and CCC, some or most are puny and at @ 1500# or less, that's not very much. And like Rob said, with large capacity, RVs get heavy, especially on the pin weight, most storage is up front forward of the axles. Our pin weight is 3,550# so that means you got to have the tow vehicle to handle it.

To keep the storage compartments organized we use a couple different types/sizes of stackable storage containers, like for H2O hoses, Electric H20 hoses, 120vacpower cables, 50 amp RV extension cable, spare parts and such. We even have a Green Mountain smoker grill Davy Crockett, propane fire pit and a big water softener in the storage compartment.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-22-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other end, for 4 years we've gone 3-6 months in our 30' 10,000lb Reflection. It has far less inside or outside storage than any Solitude I've seen, and 2000lbs CCC.

We carry about 1000lbs of stuff so 400lbs of water is fine. We camp a week or so at a time in small public campgrounds most of the time. So no BBQ, site decorations, bikes or bulky stuff. We have lots of cast iron cookware for the fire, 4 chairs and a screen room, at least 100lbs of tools and an inflatable kayak (in the truck) and some backpacking/ tenting gear (that doesn't get used much.) 1/3rd of my pass through is hoses, cords, and leveling stuff. Oh yes, a 100lb generator rides in the front storage. More would be nice, maybe another kayak or e-bikes, but nothing critical.

It's all about compromises and travel style. Some folks full time in a van! Youtuber RVmiles is a family of 5 with 2 teens, spending the next 9mo in 25'ish travel trailer!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 290RK last year and we keep stuffing things in it and it still has more room. I pressed hard for this model because I fell in love with the spacious rear kitchen. The pull-out garage under the kitchen in the back and all the side compartments hold a lot and then thereÂ’s still the pass-thru and the front storage.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    We have been RV hunting for several years. Good, bad or otherwise, we are still in the hunt. Today we saw a 280RK for the first time. We absolutely love the inside. Our big concern is there is hardly any - and I mean small - outside storage.

Would love to hear from anyone traveling for a few months at a time how you carry what you/we would need. I don’t see how to carry much more than tubs for hoses, tools, maybe a couple of chairs. No room for portable grill, anything else.

Would appreciate any help!

v/r

TexSol20
    Do you plan on full-time or extended trips? We spent 80+ nights in our 310 this past season over three major trips - 26 days, 43, and 11. Over packed on the first trip, reduced tools for the second but still over packed the pantry and refrig - really too much food. We had a lot of unused storage. Nothing under the bed or in many cabinets. Planning for a 60+ day trip this next season. Very comfortable floor plan.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxn5ac View Post
    We purchased a 290RK last year and we keep stuffing things in it and it still has more room. I pressed hard for this model because I fell in love with the spacious rear kitchen. The pull-out garage under the kitchen in the back and all the side compartments hold a lot and then thereÂ’s still the pass-thru and the front storage.
    I assume you mean the 390RK. Probably with the bigger Solitudes is unless you get the 8K lb axles from the factory, CCC is low and typically less than 2,000 lbs. Lots of room to stuff, but you can be overweight quickly.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post

It's all about compromises and travel style. Some folks full time in a van! Youtuber RVmiles is a family of 5 with 2 teens, spending the next 9mo in 25'ish travel trailer!
    Isn't that the truth, there is always some give and take with any trailer.
    I met a couple that was full timing in a full size van and an older Aliner with no dormer... Loved or Aliner but not for full time!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast