User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at a New Ladder - Anyone Know Their Solitude Slide Roof Outside Heights?

As the title says, I'm looking at a new ladder to replace my existing GP Logistics 7 foot folding ladder. I primarily use the ladder to look at slide roofs prior to retracting the slides, but also us it for windows, washing the front cap etc. I'm hoping someone might know the slide roof heights of their Solitude. We keep our 2930 S-Class out of state during the winter, otherwise I'd just measure my own. I'm guessing the heights to be around 11 feet.

Now - about ladders. I know many owners use the GP logistics folding ladders, but I find the narrow rungs (steps) used on this ladder to be narrow and hard on my feet. The steps measure just under 1.25 inches wide while a typical A frame step ladder has 3 inch steps. I'm looking at a Little Giant Select Step ladder and want to be sure its tall enough to let me see the slide roofs.

Thanks!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B1Byr2aml4S.pdf
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    As the title says, I'm looking at a new ladder to replace my existing GP Logistics 7 foot folding ladder. I primarily use the ladder to look at slide roofs prior to retracting the slides, but also us it for windows, washing the front cap etc. I'm hoping someone might know the slide roof heights of their Solitude. We keep our 2930 S-Class out of state during the winter, otherwise I'd just measure my own. I'm guessing the heights to be around 11 feet.

Now - about ladders. I know many owners use the GP logistics folding ladders, but I find the narrow rungs (steps) used on this ladder to be narrow and hard on my feet. The steps measure just under 1.25 inches wide while a typical A frame step ladder has 3 inch steps. I'm looking at a Little Giant Select Step ladder and want to be sure its tall enough to let me see the slide roofs.

Thanks!

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B1Byr2aml4S.pdf
    I have two GP ladders, a 6' and a 7'. I also have two little Giant ladders. I forget lengths. so I will just one is pretty tall, and the other is really tall. The width of the rungs is actually similar, unless you use the little Giant at it's collapsed height, then you stand on two rungs. The little giant in your link touts it's comfort step. which appears similar to the multi function platform mine have. It can be put on the rung of your choice. I rarely use mine, as I find it cumberson. It is handy to hold paint when I am doing that
    Both are fine products for their intended use. Th GP7 is the one I keep in the RV.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-22-2023 at 06:51 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to height, if our Solitude 380FL is close in height to your Solitude, it's 11' 10" from the ground to the gutters. The top of our highest slide is about 8" below the gutter, so just over 11" above the ground.

Regarding ladders, I wrestled with this for quite a while. We finally got this: https://a.co/d/1QpDpPP and these: https://a.co/d/craJemF. I wanted something compact and light that did everything we need it for, including cleaning the tops of slides before closing. I can think of times when an A-frame ladder would be better, but, on balance, I'm happy with this choice. It fits in a storage bay and doesn't take up much space. There is an 11.5 ft version of this that's 6# lighter that might be more appropriate.
    Last edited by Tom Traveler; 01-22-2023 at 07:19 PM.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have two GP ladders, a 6' and a 7'. I also have two little Giant ladders. I forget lengths. so I will just one is pretty tall, and the other is really tall. The width of the rungs is actually similar, unless you use the little Giant at it's collapsed height, then you stand on two rungs. The little giant in your link touts it's comfort step. which appears similar to the multi function platform mine have. It can be put on the rung of your choice. I rarely use mine, as I find it cumberson. It is handy to hold paint when I am doing that
    Both are fine products for their intended use. Th GP7 is the one I keep in the RV.
    huntindog...thanks for the ladder info. Finding any kind of multi ladder with wider rungs is impossible from what I've seen. With the comfort step on the little giant, I was hoping to adjust the ladder height so that most of my time would be on that larger comfort step. Sometimes I think that instead of a new ladder, maybe I should just keep the GP Logistics and wear work type boots with steel shanks to lessen the impact of narrow rungs on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    As to height, if our Solitude 380FL is close in height to your Solitude, it's 11' 10" from the ground to the gutters. The top of our highest slide is about 8" below the gutter, so just over 11" above the ground.

Regarding ladders, I wrestled with this for quite a while. We finally got this: https://a.co/d/1QpDpPP and these: https://a.co/d/craJemF. I wanted something compact and light that did everything we need it for, including cleaning the tops of slides before closing. I can think of times when an A-frame ladder would be better, but, on balance, I'm happy with this choice. It fits in a storage bay and doesn't take up much space. There is an 11.5 ft version of this that's 6# lighter that might be more appropriate.
    Tom Traveler...thanks for the slide roof heights! I looked long and hard at telescopic ladders and was concerned about leaning them against the side of the trailer. Maybe I'm overthinking (wouldn't be the first time) but do you see any issues leaning the ladder against the fiberglass sides of the slides or gutter of the trailer body? A telescoping ladder would store easy in my situation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Traveler...thanks for the slide roof heights! I looked long and hard at telescopic ladders and was concerned about leaning them against the side of the trailer. Maybe I'm overthinking (wouldn't be the first time) but do you see any issues leaning the ladder against the fiberglass sides of the slides or gutter of the trailer body? A telescoping ladder would store easy in my situation.
    You're not overthinking. I was concerned about the same thing. If you look at the picture on the Amazon link, you can see that the top of the ladder has a rubber "tab" on both sides of the ladder. They are pretty soft and they have a 1/2" hole in the ends with the hole facing whatever you lean the ladder against. I cut two 6" diameter pads out of 3/4" plywood. I drilled a small hole in the center of each pad and attached 3/4" of 1/2" doweling with a small screw. The doweling fits snugly into the hole in the end of each tab on the ladder. Then I glued a thin rubber material onto the face of each pad. (Sorry for the tedious detail.)

The end result is that the ladder leans against the RV on the two 6" diameter rubber faced pads. I would never lean the ladder rails against the gutters or the top edge of a slide. I always lean the pads close to the top of whatever I wanted to get to. The nice thing about the telescoping ladders is that you can extend them however long you need them, gaining a foot with each step extended. That brings us to the adjustable feet in the second link. Not only to they allow you to make up for an uneven base, but, using both of them, you can "micro adjust" the ladder in between the 1 foot increments.

I've leaned the pads against the windshield on our Solitude to clean it with no problems. If you think about, with the angle of the ladder, there isn't a lot of force leaning against the wall. The small rubber tips probably would be OK, but I didn't want to take any chances, so I built the pads. If I had to do it over again, I think I would get the 11.5' ladder instead of the 13.5'. You'd save $50 and 6 lbs and still be able to reach everything on the RV. I've got a bit of the "go big or go home" in me when it comes to buying tools.

I did look at other, cheaper, telescoping ladders. I like this one because it is more stable and has wider rungs which are much easier on the feet. Sometimes, I think that an A-frame ladder would be better because you could set it up next to a slide without touching it. Then I think of the space that it would take for storage and I know I made the right choice for us. A good place to store an A-frame ladder would be in the space between the roof ladder and the RV. I just like the look of a "clean" RV with nothing hanging off of it.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a pool noodle on the top rung of the telescoping ladder. That entire noodle rests on the side of the RV. Works great.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huntindog...thanks for the ladder info. Finding any kind of multi ladder with wider rungs is impossible from what I've seen. With the comfort step on the little giant, I was hoping to adjust the ladder height so that most of my time would be on that larger comfort step. Sometimes I think that instead of a new ladder, maybe I should just keep the GP Logistics and wear work type boots with steel shanks to lessen the impact of narrow rungs on my feet.

I also have the Harbor freight version of a telescoping ladder.
    I bought it specifcally to haul on my quad when I set up trail cameras. I really did not think I would like it and end up returning it. It turned out to be a quality ladder, and I am keeping it. I will not use it on the RV though as I have full body paint.

It just occured to me That I may have a ladder fettish. I seem to collect them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of thoughts. I currently own no less than 8 ladders. They seem to just multiply in the garage.

I have that collapsable 7' ladder I use to carry in a 5" fence post under the RV. I stopped using it for the same reason @roegs doesn't like it - narrow steps (I have the top platform accessory on it too).

I also have a "Little Giant" that will extend to 16'. A major consideration of these multifunction ladders is the weight - they are heavy. And if you lean it, or any extension ladder (Little Giant or telescoping) against the roof you risk bending the side gutters (ask me how I know).

I currently carry this one: Telesteps Telescopic A-Fram Ladder. It works well. It collapses nicely, fits well in my storage compartment and is handy, sturdy, and has wide steps along with the sort of extending top to hold on to. I is suppose to have a 13' 'reach', that depends on how tall you are.

I think if I were to sell the TeleSteps I would just carry an aluminum 8', lightweight step ladder strapped to my back ladder. It is now my go-to ladder form most home needs as well as when waxing the RV. It would be easy to get to, light, and accomplish whatever I might need to do while on the road.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 01-23-2023 at 08:22 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. Although I'm only in my mid 60's, I miss the days where I could stand on anything for long periods of time without bothering my feet.

I've looked long and hard at the Telesteps that Traveldawg mentioned. Both it and the USteps telescoping latter that Tom Traveler mentioned have one thing in common - the tube assemblies are not round. Telesteps is oval and USteps is triangular. I believe not being round would give a telescoping ladder much more stability.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to add one more comment about checking slide-out roofs before retracting....

I put my cell phone on a selfie stick and take a video of the top of the slides. It helps me decide if I have to use my blower gutter leaf attachment to clean the roof before retracting or if I have to get up there for some other issue. It saves getting out a ladder.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast