User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operating hydraulics in freezing temperatures

I am trying to prepare for a trip to Texas from Minnesota and last night went down to 10 degrees. Just now, after installing warm batteries and having the unit plugged in to electric, I tried to operate the landing gear and just got a loud noise from the hydraulic pump. It was a steady noise like it was operating but louder than normal. The leveling rams were not moving. Tried both front and rear operating separately with no luck. The front compartment of my 310-GK is not heated. Do I need to put a heater in there to try to warm up the hydraulics?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydraulics do hate cold temps. But usually just operate slowly, not stop. Heat will help.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out that when I installed my golf cart batteries I forgot to install the crossover wire so the hydraulic pump was trying to run off of the charging unit which I'm sure is not designed to put out that many amps. Another live and learn lesson.

Texas here we come!!

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RayF59 View Post
    Turns out that when I installed my golf cart batteries I forgot to install the crossover wire so the hydraulic pump was trying to run off of the charging unit which I'm sure is not designed to put out that many amps. Another live and learn lesson.

Texas here we come!!
    It might be worthwhile to check the converter/charger and make sure that it's still working. It is likely a 55 amp unit, and the hydraulic pump will pull upwards of 70A when running.....and even more than that when things are as cold as where you are/were. It doesn't take too long to burn up the converter/charger.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a battery warmer around my oil tank and it heats the oil enough that the hyd work used it at 25 below