User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping the battery warm

I am looking at my options to keeping my battery warm. If I was full time, this wouldn't be an issue. I would just install it in the TT and it will stay warm.

I think the issue is to cut off the battery when the temp gets too hot or cold. Do they sell a device that does this for my cheapo battery I use?

I got a Victron Smartshunt and that does well. I can even hook up a temperature probe to it but I don't think that does anything to control charge/discharge.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at my options to keeping my battery warm. If I was full time, this wouldn't be an issue. I would just install it in the TT and it will stay warm.

I think the issue is to cut off the battery when the temp gets too hot or cold. Do they sell a device that does this for my cheapo battery I use?

I got a Victron Smartshunt and that does well. I can even hook up a temperature probe to it but I don't think that does anything to control charge/discharge.
    As you say, moving it inside is a good option. What kind of battery do you have?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    As you say, moving it inside is a good option. What kind of battery do you have?
    Just the stock Lead Acid, but I think all the types have the issue with no charging above certain temps and below certain temps. I was thinking of upgrading to an AGM because I am lazy and forget to check levels. I really do not see the need to go to lithium at this point.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Just the stock Lead Acid, but I think all the types have the issue with no charging above certain temps and below certain temps. I was thinking of upgrading to an AGM because I am lazy and forget to check levels. I really do not see the need to go to lithium at this point.
    You won't have a problem with Lead Acid batteries (including AGM) in cold weather as long as they are healthy batteries.

Car batteries sit in the cold, cold, weather and they survive just fine.

The issue is with Lithium batteries, you can't charge them below freezing, you can discharge them, just not charge them.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always take mine out for extended storage, over a month. Also I live near woods and just having them left in but everything turned off they seem draw mice.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    You won't have a problem with Lead Acid batteries (including AGM) in cold weather as long as they are healthy batteries.

The issue is with Lithium batteries, you can't charge them below freezing, you can discharge them, just not charge them.
    Thanks for this answer. It was exactly what I was looking for. I half expected the $10k solution. Not from you of course.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

I second this. but make sure it is fully charged, then remove the -ve wire. The factory disconnect...isn't a disconnect
    Heating your battery will actually make it discharge faster.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I second this. but make sure it is fully charged, then remove the -ve wire. The factory disconnect...isn't a disconnect
    Heating your battery will actually make it discharge faster.
    Well, this year we just left the RV plugged in so the current battery will stay changed. I need to learn how to disconnect the battery completely. From what I gather, removing the battery is not what you do. You need to disconnect it and disconnect the solar. My thought with that is there should be a switch to turn off the solar but I assume it is not that easy.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have decent solar, then you should be fine as long as you get some sunlight. No need to disconnect anything...assuming not lithium.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    If you have decent solar, then you should be fine as long as you get some sunlight. No need to disconnect anything...assuming not lithium.
    Decent solar in Upstate NY in the Winter? I think I will get an AGM battery for my lazy butt and just leave the RV plugged in.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast