User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800bh... almost identical pricing from dealerships 250miles apart!?

Greetings!

My first time posting on the forum. I did some research on previous posts before posting this, but most of the sales references were from the 2020-2021 era, and I feel like supply/demand is a little different now in 2023.

Wife and I sold our Aspen Trail 1950 last season after 3 years of adventure. Looking to move into a 2800BH this upcoming season to suit out growing little family.

We recently attended an RV Show in Edison, NJ and got to see the 2800BH up close and personal. We are solid this is the unit we want.

I will leave out dealer names but i will leave clues....

I am just baffled at the identical pricing that I received on the initial bid for the coach.

At the show, Dealer 1... lets call them "Mountain House", who has 5+ dealerships in NJ/NY/Northeast, quoted me an 'out the door price' for a 2022 2800bh with a weight distribution hitch.

Dealer 1 cost breakdown:
    MSRP 58,417 + "Hitch and prep/clean $1,899"
    "Retailer Discount" - $18,500
    Customer Price: 41,816.00
    Taxes 3,713.78 - DMV fee 175.00

Out the door: $45,704.78

After the show, I contacted a New Jersey Grand Design Dealer in South Jersey with a Red White and Blue logo.
    Dealer 2 cost breakdown:
    MSRP $58,130 + $695 for hitch
    "Retailer discount" - 15,523.52
    Customer Price: 42,606.48
    Taxes: $2848.65 - DMV fee 121.50 - Other dealer fees 392.00

Out the door: $45,968.63

Now I know that the dialogue I had with the dealerships were over the phone or in the case of dealer 1, limited in person conversation, but the fact that this pricing is so close is just confusing. I bought my last coach in 2019, and unfortunately that dealer has since been bought out by a major RV chain. The pricing was very straight forward in that they made me a flat out offer of 32% off MSRP and we had little negotiations because it was a fair deal.

My wife and I are open to driving out from NJ to Indiana or Ohio to make a purchase if we can get down to the range we are comfortable with. If we could save a few thousand, it would outweigh gas costs to drive out for the weekend. Maybe I've been out of the game but it just seems a 'bit' high. Id feel more comfortable in the 'under 40k' range then add on the taxes and fees.

What is everyone's take? I'm a humble guy, so please if I'm the problem, be honest.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar scenario when we traded up a couple of weeks ago. Both came in within a couple hundred dollars. One dealer was 90 minutes away and the other 8 hours. I had been talking and texting with both (pretty limited stock on the model we wanted). We had pretty much thrown in the towel but the next day I texted the dealer closest to us and asked if there was any last possibility that they could meet us in the middle (between where they wanted to be and where we wanted to be), which meant they would have to drop another $2,000. They did.

IMHO I'm not surprised they are still very close. Stock on various models may still be limited. We haven't hit the spring "rush" where we'll really find out if the sales are in steep decline or not. That is where I think we'll see how all of this is going to shake out with pricing and whether or not they have to compete hard for sales. We only purchased now because I am doing upgrades now for long trips over the next couple of years and didn't want to do more upgrades on a unit we might later replace anyway. If that weren't the case, I would have waited until spring to buy and hope that there would be more units available and lower sales would drive prices down. But that's a risk too because maybe it won't be all doomsday. Where's the crystal ball when you need one?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't advise otherwise, but I would do a bit of homework on the NJ tax and DMV charges. An almost $1,000 diff there is puzzling.
    Note also that "prep/clean" and "other fees" usually are also highly negotiable.

Definitely call other places. Note that your local dealers may refuse to do any work (warranty or otherwise) because you didn't buy from them. It varies from dealer to dealer. In that case, you may need to find a mobile tech to do on site work (GD will cover all but trip fees), or drive back to the purchasing dealer.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I had a similar scenario when we traded up a couple of weeks ago. Both came in within a couple hundred dollars. One dealer was 90 minutes away and the other 8 hours. I had been talking and texting with both (pretty limited stock on the model we wanted). We had pretty much thrown in the towel but the next day I texted the dealer closest to us and asked if there was any last possibility that they could meet us in the middle (between where they wanted to be and where we wanted to be), which meant they would have to drop another $2,000. They did.

IMHO I'm not surprised they are still very close. Stock on various models may still be limited. We haven't hit the spring "rush" where we'll really find out if the sales are in steep decline or not. That is where I think we'll see how all of this is going to shake out with pricing and whether or not they have to compete hard for sales. We only purchased now because I am doing upgrades now for long trips over the next couple of years and didn't want to do more upgrades on a unit we might later replace anyway. If that weren't the case, I would have waited until spring to buy and hope that there would be more units available and lower sales would drive prices down. But that's a risk too because maybe it won't be all doomsday. Where's the crystal ball when you need one?
    Thanks for the insight, was hoping to make the purchase before the spring rush when prices 'magically' go up 10%.... Im also curious about supply/demand this upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Can't advise otherwise, but I would do a bit of homework on the NJ tax and DMV charges. An almost $1,000 diff there is puzzling.
    Note also that "prep/clean" and "other fees" usually are also highly negotiable.

Definitely call other places. Note that your local dealers may refuse to do any work (warranty or otherwise) because you didn't buy from them. It varies from dealer to dealer. In that case, you may need to find a mobile tech to do on site work (GD will cover all but trip fees), or drive back to the purchasing dealer.
    Thanks for your input. I will be putting out calls to other dealerships. I hear you with warranty claims, its a double edged sword. I could buy local and spend top dollar or potentially drive a bit to get a better deal and risk the potential for issues with warranty claims.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK_NJ View Post
    Thanks for the insight, was hoping to make the purchase before the spring rush when prices 'magically' go up 10%.... Im also curious about supply/demand this upcoming season.

Thanks for your input. I will be putting out calls to other dealerships. I hear you with warranty claims, its a double edged sword. I could buy local and spend top dollar or potentially drive a bit to get a better deal and risk the potential for issues with warranty claims.
    I only have 2023 model 2800's on my lot, but I would not sell them for under $40k.....

The numbers you quoted are about where they need to be. Maybe a little movement on 2022 models, but dead on for a 2023.

Not sure why you are so surprised by close numbers. Grand Design sells all their units at the same cost to all of their dealers. Only variable is freight and anything the dealer tacks on.
    Last edited by huntr70; 01-24-2023 at 08:28 AM.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cookeville RV (Tennessee) and Northgate RV (Georgia), which are about 100 miles apart, usually have some of the lowest prices, and a good reputation. One thing to consider, which has been mentioned, is if you don't buy from a local dealer, that dealer (and most others) will put your trailer at the end of the line, that keeps getting other trailers put in front of you for warranty/service. If you are talking multiple thousands difference in price, it could be worth it, and GD will usually okay a mobile tech (minus about $150 service call) for warranty work.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    It's been quite awhile since Nikki and I escaped NJ, but I don't believe there's been any Code changes related to what dealers can charge for doing the DMV paperwork.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to thread. Go to the dealer in Delaware and save lots of money. The NJ dealers are brutal on pricing. I live here and will never buy here.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)