User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer switch install

New to the forum. I wanted to install a dimmer switch in a 2023 Momentum 351MS-R. I bought one with the slider just to the right side of the toggle button. It came with a red, black, and white wire. When I took the screws out of the switch in place today I was surprised at the wiring. I am posting a picture to show it to you. Any advice on how to install the new switch? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Switch.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	44573
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slider.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	44574

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like on your original switch, you have two positive wires crimped into one terminal. The other wire goes to the light.
    With your dimmer, you also need a negative or ground wire. Check the instructions, some dimmer manufacturers provide two methods, one being a negative wire, the other method using a wire connected to the trailer frame. It may be possible to tap into a negative source in the other bundle in the wall opening.
    Good luck!
    Peter Hoemsen
    Prince Albert SK Canada
    2022 337 RLS
    2021 GMC 2500 Duramax L5P

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of those wire lugs on your switch is a 12v 'hot' lead (12v on it all the time). The other lug goes to your lights.

On your dimmer you connect the hot lead to the lead your instructions say to connect to. Same for your load (lights) - connect it to the lead your instructions tell you to use.

The remaining lead on your dimmer is for ground (and, again, the instructions should tell you which lead that is). You need to find a ground inside the cavity where you pulled the old switch out of and connect your dimmer to that ground. If there isn't a ground in that cavity then you need to find a ground to use.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I put in my dimmer just like that, I found a big bundle of ground wires joined together in the wall cavity. I was able to fish it out and add that ground wire from the dimmer switch. If you only find one ground wire running nearby in the wall, you can splice into it.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdoty View Post
    New to the forum. I wanted to install a dimmer switch in a 2023 Momentum 351MS-R. I bought one with the slider just to the right side of the toggle button. It came with a red, black, and white wire. When I took the screws out of the switch in place today I was surprised at the wiring. I am posting a picture to show it to you. Any advice on how to install the new switch? Click image for larger version. 

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    One of those wire lugs on your switch is a 12v 'hot' lead (12v on it all the time). The other lug goes to your lights.

On your dimmer you connect the hot lead to the lead your instructions say to connect to. Same for your load (lights) - connect it to the lead your instructions tell you to use.

The remaining lead on your dimmer is for ground (and, again, the instructions should tell you which lead that is). You need to find a ground inside the cavity where you pulled the old switch out of and connect your dimmer to that ground. If there isn't a ground in that cavity then you need to find a ground to use.
    Traveldawg instruction are great.
    I got lucky and found a ground just a ways down in the hole.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsdoty View Post

I have a question for you. I would think that your trailer has the "One Control" system on it.....am I correct? If it does have the one control system, most of the lights that are tied to the one control system are dimmable, via the one control panel or phone app. Having said that, I that there are lights that are not tied to the one control, and maybe that is what you are trying to put the dimmer on. It would be worthwhile to check though, and just see if the light you are working on is tied into One Control or not.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Electrical System and Wiring.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired