Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I Need a 2nd AC in 2023 GD 297RSTS ?

Hi RV Friends,

We are seriously considering purchasing 2023 GD 297RSTS. We are wondering if putting in a second AC unit is necessary? I believe it comes with a 15k BTU ducted AC with the racetrack ducting. My husband is concerned that the trailer won't get cool enough in the Southern heat. Trailer is 34' in length. Just looking for advice based on experience please. Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What southern heat are we talking about? South Texas? Arizona/New Mexico? South Florida? Northern/Central Alabama/Mississippi?

The trailer with its lower ceiling won't be as hard to keep cool as a 5th wheel, but, personally, I would opt for the second air conditioner. When it comes to coolness and comfort, it's better have it and not need it, rather than vice versa.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similarly sized TT before going 5er. Anywhere in the South, doesn't matter if desert SW or sticky SE, at the peak of Summer and I'd highly recommend having the second unit.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 5th wheel in August of 2020. I wanted a 2nd A/C added but this was during the pandemic so it took a few months to get the unit in and installed.
    We used the rig several times with only the one A/C unit and I can tell you that there was a HUGE difference after adding the 2nd A/C. What also helped was adding an RC Airflow to the main A/C unit.
    The 2nd A/C will also make your rig taller so make sure you get a good measurement.
    I have not added Soft Starts yet so we cannot run both units on a 30 amp outlet.
    There are several campsites we go to that only offer 30amp power so adding those gadgets is very appealing.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Safe travels!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I live in a hot area of the country, I doubt that I've used my bedroom A/C more than a couple of times. But there are 2 good reasons to go ahead and get the second unit on your trailer. One is that it is usually less expensive to purchase the unit on the new trailer than to have it installed at a later date should you decide to need one. Second, the reliability of most components on trailers today are marginal at best. If you are on a camping trip and the living area A/C goes out, you have got a second one to rely on, and salvage the trip. A dead A/C unit can be a real deal breaker on a hot summer afternoon.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to have two. Especially when one of them fails on the 110 degree day in Amarillo. Yes, I was there that day. Had a steak from the Big Texan.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGo1965 View Post
    Hi RV Friends,

We are seriously considering purchasing 2023 GD 297RSTS. We are wondering if putting in a second AC unit is necessary? I believe it comes with a 15k BTU ducted AC with the racetrack ducting. My husband is concerned that the trailer won't get cool enough in the Southern heat. Trailer is 34' in length. Just looking for advice based on experience please. Thanks!
    We’ve had a 35’ and now have a 36’. The 35’ didn’t have the second AC installed, but needed it so we installed it. The 36’ is a GD 3100RD that has two std. The racetrack ducting does a superior job keeping the entire coach cool. I would definitely get the second AC, especially if you expect to camp in the summer months.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 295RL with the second bedroom AC unit. Glad we did, cause the thin poor insulated walls, floor, ceiling, slideouts and windows dont keep much heat out during hot summer days. And our primary AC in the living room does a better job keeping up with the help of our 2nd unit runing occasionally too.

Another tip would be to place full blackout/thermal curtains on all your windows and slide toppers over each slide. After we added our toppers and full blackout thermal curtains, our ACs ran half the time to keep the inside at 73 degrees during 100+ degree days.

Not to mention the DWs wanting to have some white noise from the bedroom AC fan running full time at noisy CGs at night! Like that Nugenix commercial, "She will like it too!".
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add me to the spare air conditioner club. We were out last summer and on our first night, the rear AC wouldn’t work. Got along with with one for the rest of the week. Found a loose wire when I got home. It was kind of a special trip as we were traveling with some folks we had wanted to camp with for a long while, so it would have stunk to cancel 500 miles from home.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who have responded. The dealer has offered to throw in the second AC for free as part of the deal, so we are taking him up on it and getting that second AC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast