Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Compressor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12v compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Looking to add a portable air compressor to my rv. 12 volt versus 120 ? Any suggestions.
    I've been extremely disappointed in what the 12v compressors can deliver, but then again, I have a Solitude 380FL and the tire pressures are 125psi!
    The decision to go 12v totally depends on the volume of air you need to bring your tires up to pressure.
    If you are 125psi like we are, 12v just won't cut it.
    If you're closer to 35psi, it will work, but just not as quickly as say a small pancake compressor (which is what I use)
    Yes, that pancake compressors take up more space than a 12v compressor, but it's like using a full sized compressor and getting pumped up quickly is my concern.
    My DeWalt pancake compressor cost me <$200.
    Some of the RV 12v compressors can cost up to $500. I can't say how well they work, because there is no way I'm paying $500 for a small bagged 12v compressor.
    Good luck in your search.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David.Basinger View Post
    I've been extremely disappointed in what the 12v compressors can deliver, but then again, I have a Solitude 380FL and the tire pressures are 125psi!
    The decision to go 12v totally depends on the volume of air you need to bring your tires up to pressure.
    If you are 125psi like we are, 12v just won't cut it.
    If you're closer to 35psi, it will work, but just not as quickly as say a small pancake compressor (which is what I use)
    Yes, that pancake compressors take up more space than a 12v compressor, but it's like using a full sized compressor and getting pumped up quickly is my concern.
    My DeWalt pancake compressor cost me <$200.
    Some of the RV 12v compressors can cost up to $500. I can't say how well they work, because there is no way I'm paying $500 for a small bagged 12v compressor.
    Good luck in your search.
    I totally agree that the price of the VIAIR 450P-RVS ($400) is a tough pill to swallow. For me, it came down to use case. I store at a remote lot with no power source. I typically find myself needing air as I pick up from storage. 12 V is best for my use case.

My tires are 110 PSI and the VIAIR can get there. It is slow; but we are talking a few minutes; it's a workable solution.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridgid 18-Volt Digital Universal Inflator (Tool Only) (RENEWED) https://a.co/d/c7zmPol

I have this guy and like it for most small tasks. Anything more gets the big compressor and hoses.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not very big has all the pressure I need, and builds pressure pretty quickly. I get that some people need the 12VDC systems but for those with access to 120VAC this would be a good choice.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Looking to add a portable air compressor to my rv. 12 volt versus 120 ? Any suggestions.
    I bought this 12v on Amazon for less than $60. GSPSCN Silver Tire Inflator Heavy Duty Double Cylinders with Portable Bag, Metal 12V Air Compressor Pump 150PSI with Adapter for Car, Truck, SUV Tires.
    I have used it quite a lot & is great for adding 10-20 lbs of air at a time. I pumped up a Super Duty truck tire from flat, just have to be patient with the time it takes. Definitely a lot more portable than conventional air compressor.
    JP
    2019 Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 F-250 SRW Lariat Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k Super Slide

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good reason for 12v vice 120v:

My wife's cousin lives full time in their TT. They were on the road today leaving Florida and had a blowout, tire looked shredded based on the picture. Her husband got the spare out, but it was too low on air, and they have a 120v compressor with them. Turns out their generator wouldn't start for whatever reason, so they had to drop the trailer to take the tire somewhere to get filled, certainly a waste of time. Other lesson, check your spare tire pressure as well (he is more of a corrective maintenance worker vice preventive maintenance, that's a different issue in itself).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Another good reason for 12v vice 120v:

My wife's cousin lives full time in their TT. They were on the road today leaving Florida and had a blowout, tire looked shredded based on the picture. Her husband got the spare out, but it was too low on air, and they have a 120v compressor with them. Turns out their generator wouldn't start for whatever reason, so they had to drop the trailer to take the tire somewhere to get filled, certainly a waste of time. Other lesson, check your spare tire pressure as well (he is more of a corrective maintenance worker vice preventive maintenance, that's a different issue in itself).
    And a suggestion in the same breath - if you have a TPMS, add sensors to the trailer and tow vehicle spares!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 12 volt Bulldog 150 psi air compressor from E-Trailer for $64. Top off my tires with it for a trial run, seems to work o.k. Make sure the truck is running it will run down the battery.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Scott and Brenda
    2019 F250 6.2
    2022 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Keeping an eye on this thread as will be needing one this year...
    The 20v DeWalt.

Thats the one and I love it.

Get it!
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234