Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding 12VDC Outlet

I'm thinking about adding some 12VDC outlets to several locations in our 337RLS. There are open terminals on the DC distribution block. Has anyone done this?

I know I mispelled outlet!

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DohMan View Post
    I'm thinking about adding some 12VDC outlets to several locations in our 337RLS. There are open terminals on the DC distribution block. Has anyone done this?

I know I mispelled outlet!
    I have not done it, but it should be a fairly straight-forward job. Just make sure that whatever wire that you use is not only sized for whatever the endpoint device(s) will be amperage wise, but also the correct sized/amp fuse. The fuse's job is to protect the wiring, and not necessarily the device or devices. The hardest part will be "fishing" the wire or cables to wherever you are going with them for use. It' not necessarily hard to do, but sometimes cramped and hard to get to places. Make sure that the wire or cables are secured as well as you can, because the trailers bounce around a lot and can easily cause loose connections unless secured properly. If you are adding wires, I would probably follow the standard color code scheme for the wires.....Red being Positive, and Black being Neg.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a cheap socket like https://smile.amazon.com/Cigarette-M.../dp/B07H1MGWFN. I tapped into the existing 12-volt wiring. That would only work for low-amperage uses. Running wires from the fuse block would be required for heavier uses.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a couple of circuits of 12V heat tape to my underbelly. One wire to the fuse terminal and the other to the ground.

I've also added 12V and USB outlets to several existing circuits. The hard part in any 12V wiring is making sure your connections are firm and that you haven't trimmed any copper strands. Anything that causes a bit of extra resistance is bad. It saps power and heats up, in places you probably don't want extra heat. Good crimps and a good crimp tool are golden. NO WIRE NUTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGL_cK3K1h0
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't plan on tapping into the existing wiring but to use new individual runs for each outlet. I have 6 open fuse slots and plan on using 14 guage stranded wire which will allow using a 10A fuse per new circuit. Crimp on terminals with heat shring seals.