User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Shocks Maybe

On my last tow of about 500 miles, I noticed that the truck seemed to be porposing a lot more than I remember or expected. Most noticed at road to bridge transitions. The front end of the truck going up and down a couple of times. Not comfortable and I’m pretty sure it’s worse that it was prior. Or it could just be the bad condition of I-10.

2021 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax with 35,000 miles, of which 20,000 is towing the big 312 BHTS.

I got a quote for 4 Bilstein 5100s of $990 installed which for some reason includes a front end alignment. Does this sound reasonable?
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks cost about $440, so you have to figure out if the alignment and installation are worth $450. I installed the ones on my Dodge and it was a fairly simple job. I wouldn't think an alignment would be necessary after installing shocks, but if you're noticing any symptoms of out-of-alignment, it couldn't hurt.

Considering the shop will have a lift and all necessary tools at hand, an hour should really be sufficient, maybe an hour and a half if they stopped for lunch.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-26-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the Bilstein's on my truck last year. Depending on how handy you are, installing them is actually pretty easy. I have done it to my Chevy 2500 and my RAM 3500, and it is just undoing bolts, no need to lift the truck. Took me about 45 minutes to do it.

Agree on not needing to do any alignment, unless you see something in your tires, or the truck is not tracking. Then again, 35,000 miles is not a bad time to check it anyway. Alignments usually are around $100, or less.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed on my 2019 superduty $368 on Amazon took an hour no lift needed 1k seems very expensive even if you needed a lineup. I would shop around .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bilsteins are definitely the way to go. They do a great job with ride, tow and overall stability on my truck. But like Hoppy posted, I too installed mine and it was well worth the savings. I did have the TV realigned afteward, but I purchase a lifetime alignment from Firestone due to using the vehicle for towing on these great highways we have in MO....

As for the labor of installing and renting a strut compressor, that might be a bit high, but, it does mean someone else has to remove the old and install the new, and that maybe worth it to some.

If planning on keeping the vehicle for awhile, consider Firestones lifetime alignment instead. I have my TV checked/aligned each time I pull my RV, and like having someone else install your shocks, its a nice luxury to just take in and let some one check it without having to pay each time for the last 10 years. I know my tires have also benefited from it too.

Note. One could always do their own alignment too..... know some fellow offroad Jeepers who do it all the time. Again, its just what one wants to pay for.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 01-26-2023 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Note
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it sounds like shocks need replacing. Not a difficult job to do yourself.
    Last edited by JCR GD; 01-26-2023 at 09:03 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    On my last tow of about 500 miles, I noticed that the truck seemed to be porposing a lot more than I remember or expected. Most noticed at road to bridge transitions. The front end of the truck going up and down a couple of times. Not comfortable and I’m pretty sure it’s worse that it was prior. Or it could just be the bad condition of I-10.

2021 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax with 35,000 miles, of which 20,000 is towing the big 312 BHTS.

I got a quote for 4 Bilstein 5100s of $990 installed which for some reason includes a front end alignment. Does this sound reasonable?
    I installed Bilstrein 4600 about 4 months ago. Replacing the Rancho shocks front and rear. Noticed huge improvement in the front end response instantly unloaded. Excellent handling improvement when loaded. Ordered through Shock surplus $350 plus tax. Arrived in (2) days. Installation is straight forward as the rear shocks only take 5 minutes each to replace. The fronts are a little more time consuming only due to needing to raise the truck to facilitate installation. Be sure to follow the torque procedure for the fronts as well. Start to finish took me about (2) hours. Well worth the $$ and effort. On a side note the front Rancho shocks are not gas pressurized. Once compressed they remain in that position. The rely on internal valving only. The rears are gas pressurized and rebound back. I feel over time the Rancho front shock performance is compromised without the gas pressurization IMO.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman2 View Post
    ... On a side note the front Rancho shocks are not gas pressurized. Once compressed they remain in that position. The rely on internal valving only. The rears are gas pressurized and rebound back. I feel over time the Rancho front shock performance is compromised without the gas pressurization IMO.

Dutchman2

?? They should be!

Edit: My Ranchos were shot at 23,000 miles.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [which for some reason includes a front end alignment. Does this sound reasonable?[/QUOTE]

Are they installing the steering damper as well?
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    ?? They should be!

Edit: My Ranchos were shot at 23,000 miles.
    I would typically agree but based on Multiple GM-Duramax forums it seems the torsion front suspension/Rancho stock combo was not gas charged on the HD trucks. Fluid dampened only based on Tenneco (Rancho Manufacture) customer service. I left mine in the garage a week to see if they rebounded - they never moved except to the curb.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast