User Tag List

Thread: Truck Bed Cover

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck Bed Cover

Looking to buy a truck bed cover. Is anyone using the TruXedo Deuce bed cover while towing a fifth wheel? I have a new Chevy 3500 with the standard box. I like the fact that you can open the front to get to the toolbox without having to roll it up. It will have to be rolled up while towing, is that an issue?
    Last edited by KeithH63; 01-26-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Duece looks fine but pretty expensive for a soft cover. Flipping the cab side open is an interesting thought but I probably wouldn't want that feature personally. You need to decide what is best for you, but I like the idea of a hard cover than someone can't tear open or knife easily to access my bed when I close it; keep an honest man honest etc.

Having said that, I have a Truxedo Sentry CT so I can speak to their products being really great. I love the Sentry CT because it looks really clean, gives me an aluminum cover, and rolls up really easy for connecting the fifth wheel. I like that the rolled up bed doesn't block my rear window visibility much and it's really light and easy to use (the 2 main reasons I went with this cover instead of something like the BakFlip. When rolled I have no problems with the fifth wheel connection/clearance. I do lose a tiny bit of clearance but I rarely need to turn that tight anyway, and if I'm in a tight spot where I need to I can also pop the rolled cover off with 2 latches. The only 2 things I don't like about the Sentry CT are (1) that you have to open the cover before closing the tailgate and when friends close the tailgate they don't know this and (2) it wasn't cheap (but you get what you pay for)!

Good luck in your search for a cover.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Amazon cover (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QMBGTB). Pretty basic but works well. I roll it up about halfway when towing the fifth wheel.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Gator covers on my last 2 trucks, about $300. Good cover for the money.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH63 View Post
    Looking to buy a truck bed cover. Is anyone using the TruXedo Deuce bed cover while towing a fifth wheel? I have a new Chevy 3500 with the standard box. I like the fact that you can open the front to get to the toolbox without having to roll it up. It will have to be rolled up while towing, is that an issue?
    We do have the Truxedo Deuce. We got one when we got our 2015 GMC 3500 , and really liked it.So much that when we traded in our 2015 and got a 2022 We bought another one (old one would not fit) Still like it. We do store stuff in the bed of the truck. With the Deuce cover if we want something we can just open the door and not have to roll the cover all the way open. When towing with cover rolled up it doesn't block our view at all. The covers are pretty tuff I don't think it would cut open too easy. The way I figured it was if they can't see if there is anything in there why bother going to a lot of trouble to find out. We have had this cover for 7 years now and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-27-2023 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add on
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too run the Deuce on my RAM 3500 long bed. My dually has to live outside year-round whether home or traveling. Cover still looks great and the company is literally one of the original tonneau cover makers. That front access cannot be beat for a long bed, especially when paired with AMP Research flip-down steps!

Some folks can run with a solid flip tonneau, but that's impossible for us. In order to get into the sticks and bricks, I have to jackknife to set the approach into the driveway because our road and driveway are VERY narrow, and then our driveway slopes up from the road. The nose would contact anything folded over in that manipulation. The hard rollups don't work for me either because of the "can" needing to sit at the front of the bed, which is where I tuck things out of the path of the Goosebox.

Right now, the prices are way up, and that's across the board with the vinyl flood coat fabric tonneaus because that material is all made in China. When I bought mine brand new in 2018, it was $250 delivered due to a distributor warehouse overstock. Regular retail price at that time was $349!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put this $300 tri-fold on my new F-450. Prior to this I had a Bakflip F1 I originally installed on my 2017 F350 short bed and moved it to my 2019 F350 then my 2020 F350. As I get older it was getting harder to fold and unfold so I thought to try the inexpensive high rated Tyger from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N6YDR2...t_details&th=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DE2A1FEE-603D-4F75-815B-3EA5E59464DB.jpg   0E3D5F66-47AF-4933-B81F-FAA75B3815B9.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg