User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar and RV Storage

Hi-new to the GD forum and couldn't find a post (or anywhere in my manual) about what to do about the solar charging system and long term storage of the TT. I turned the red battery switch off. I also disconnected my battery from the cables. Anything else I should do or not do??

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TL-Imagine View Post
    Hi-new to the GD forum and couldn't find a post (or anywhere in my manual) about what to do about the solar charging system and long term storage of the TT. I turned the red battery switch off. I also disconnected my battery from the cables. Anything else I should do or not do??
    thats what the maual says to do.
    my coach did not have solar panel disconect.
    NEC requiers this, so i installed one
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have solar disconnect. I use it alot actually if camper sits in driveway i turn it off as to let the batteries go down don't like them being at 100% all the time .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any recommendations for a solar disconnect for a factory set up and do you install it before/after the solar charge controller? Normally, I just pull the fuse but that really isn't a good long term solution.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. Thanks for adding that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230412-111144_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	45801
    I put mine after controller don't think it matters really.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally you want 2 disconnects, one between the controller and the bus/batteries and another between the panels and the controller. The idea is that the switch between the panel and controller can turn off the incoming power from the panel if you need to work on the controller and then the controller to battery allows you to turn off the power to the controller should you need to isolate the solar controller from your system. If you are only going to do one of these (acceptable and better than nothing) you should prioritize the one between panels and controller.

There is some debate on the internet on whether you should use a single pole or dual pole disconnect for the line between the panel and the controller; the debate is because dual pole is best practice and required by most residential solar setups but there is no regulating body that dictates for RV solar. Given this and that it doesn't hurt to go slightly overkill when the cost isn't too much more, I installed a dual pole.

The breaker I used is: https://a.co/d/hutz0VH and then I also got a simple box housing to install it into.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Any recommendations for a solar disconnect for a factory set up and do you install it before/after the solar charge controller? Normally, I just pull the fuse but that really isn't a good long term solution.
    I put it before the controller so when it is off the controller is not energized by the panel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    thats what the maual says to do.
    my coach did not have solar panel disconect.
    NEC requiers this, so i installed one
    Let me start by saying that I am not an expert on solar...
    My understanding is the code only applies to residential and commercial applications that feed power to the grid. The disconnect is a safety device that prevents AC power from feeding to the grid during emergencies and scheduled maintenance. Most utilities require that the power be disconnected from the generation point - the PV panels. On my house, the disconnect simultaneously disconnects both the DC from the solar array and the AC from the inverter. Solar in an RV is a very different animal. At no time should a portable solar system provide an AC output that feeds electricity back to the power grid.

The solar in an RV has one purpose - charge the battery bank. Will it at times power the DC circuits in the RV? Yes. Can it be tied to an inverter? Yes. If done correctly, that inverter is wired through an ATS that essentially acts as a disconnect when connected to the grid.

Having said all that, I plan to install a 2 pole disconnect between the solar panel(s) and the solar controller. Most solar controllers instruct you to connect battery power before attaching the solar array. That is very difficult if you don’t have a disconnect between the solar and the controller.
    Last edited by Jomani; 04-12-2023 at 01:58 PM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am not an expert on solar...
    My understanding is the code only applies to residential and commercial applications that feed power to the grid. The disconnect is a safety device that prevents AC power from feeding to the grid during emergencies and scheduled maintenance. Most utilities require that the power be disconnected from the generation point - the PV panels. On my house, the disconnect simultaneously disconnects both the DC from the solar array and the AC from the inverter. Solar in an RV is a very different animal. At no time should a portable solar system provide an AC output that feeds electricity back to the power grid.

The solar in an RV has one purpose - charge the battery bank. Will it at times power the DC circuits in the RV? Yes. Can it be tied to an inverter? Yes. If done correctly, that inverter is wired through an ATS that essentially acts as a disconnect when connected to the grid.

Having said all that, I plan to install a 2 pole disconnect between the solar panel(s) and the solar controller. Most solar controllers instruct you to connect battery power before attaching the solar array. That is very difficult if you don’t have a disconnect between the solar and the controller.
    looking at the wiring it is obvious that there are NO standards in the RV world. IMO, that doesn't mean I should be OK with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast