User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nervous about load / pulling

Purchasing 2023 Imagine 2500RL. Will be pulling with 2021 GMC 1500,stand bed,extra cab,4x4, denali., 3.0 duramx
    This is a longer trailer than used to. Hoping wont squat to much.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn’t squat at all with a weight distributing hitch.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will need a weight distributing hitch which will eliminate the squat, I would stay with something with integrated sway control, such as Blue Ox sway pro or equalizer 4point. Or step up to the Pro Pride or Hensley arrow.

My trailer is a couple of feet longer and my truck is equipped about as well as possible for towing, but after being happy with the Blue Ox for a year and a half, I got into some bad / almost dangerous conditions a few times last fall. I now have a Pro Pride although I have only had one trip with good conditions so far but I believe it will help
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire362 View Post
    Purchasing 2023 Imagine 2500RL. Will be pulling with 2021 GMC 1500,stand bed,extra cab,4x4, denali., 3.0 duramx
    This is a longer trailer than used to. Hoping wont squat to much.
    Spend $1500 on Load Range E tires and a RoadMaster Active Suspension mod.

Ping Sean at ProPride and see if he has any refurb units he'll sell you. I saved about $600 dollars buying a refurb.

My trailer is similar to yours and I'm towing with the previous generation Denali half ton, which has less wheelbase than yours. You'll do fine.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fire362 - I don't know what state you are in, but on the off chance you are in Indiana, I've got an Equalizer 4 point system we used for two years that you can have super cheap!
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the towing capacity and focus on the tow vehicles payload capacity

The 2500RL is about 8000 lbs loaded times industry standard 13% or about 1040 lbs towards the payload capacity. The other part of payload capacity is adding the contents of the tow vehicle.
    Include passengers weights, generator, tools, chairs, grill, clothes , food etc. For two adults ( 150 each is 300 lbs. chairs tools , hitch easily. 400 lbs brings you up to 1700 lbs to the payload capacity of the 1500. You vehicle has between 1800 and 2200 payload capacity depending on trim level.

Do you can see you are close to exceeding its payload capacity. Special hiitches , air bags do change the figures but just distribute them better.

Payload capacity is an indicator of control of the trailer/ truck “train” towing capacity means nothing and you will often run over payload capacity before exceeding tow capacity.

Youl. Be running you truck at max. If you do any hill climbing and downhill it may stay in advanced rpm’s. Might work great for a few years but you’ll take life off of it. Many will say they have done this for years. Also in an accident exceeding payload capacity will negatively impact insurance evaluation sometimes ( I do this for a living)

Lastly many with 2500 series trucks are impressed with how easily they handled their trailer and would never go back. I went from a 1500 ( tundra) to a 2500 Ram with payload capacity of 3300 and never looked back

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with this post. I realize its not within everyones budget to upgrade their tow vehicle but we upgraded to a Silverado 2500 (6.6l gas) from an F150 to tow our 2500RL. We never towed the 2500RL with the F150 because we upgrade both our TT and RV at the same time but I knew I would be maxing out the capacity and wasn't really comfortable with that. We do some long distance RV'ing and we do get into the mountains. Its plenty of truck for the load with plenty to spare and although we don't technically need it we still use a WDH. Also really glad we went with the gas option given the price of diesel these days. Pulls great and we get about between 8 and 10 mpg while towing depending on terrain. That may be a few mpgs less than a diesel but the cost difference between regular gas and deisel more than compensates.
    Enjoy your new new trailer, we love ours!

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Forget the towing capacity and focus on the tow vehicles payload capacity

The 2500RL is about 8000 lbs loaded times industry standard 13% or about 1040 lbs towards the payload capacity. The other part of payload capacity is adding the contents of the tow vehicle.
    Include passengers weights, generator, tools, chairs, grill, clothes , food etc. For two adults ( 150 each is 300 lbs. chairs tools , hitch easily. 400 lbs brings you up to 1700 lbs to the payload capacity of the 1500. You vehicle has between 1800 and 2200 payload capacity depending on trim level.

Do you can see you are close to exceeding its payload capacity. Special hiitches , air bags do change the figures but just distribute them better.

Payload capacity is an indicator of control of the trailer/ truck “train” towing capacity means nothing and you will often run over payload capacity before exceeding tow capacity.

Youl. Be running you truck at max. If you do any hill climbing and downhill it may stay in advanced rpm’s. Might work great for a few years but you’ll take life off of it. Many will say they have done this for years. Also in an accident exceeding payload capacity will negatively impact insurance evaluation sometimes ( I do this for a living)

Lastly many with 2500 series trucks are impressed with how easily they handled their trailer and would never go back. I went from a 1500 ( tundra) to a 2500 Ram with payload capacity of 3300 and never looked back
    Bill and Nancy from SC
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '21 2500RL and tow with a 2019 Sierra Denali 1500 with the 6.2L gas engine and full tow features. Have a WDH installed, and needed to have that adjusted by the dealer after the first year due to squatting issues. Now working fine. While we are just towing in the midwest, I have had no issues with this set up. If we were doing mountains, or full timing, I might upgrade to a 2500, but for our current use, have had no issues with the GMC/trailer set up. Always white knuckle when heading to Michigan via 80-90 south of Chicago - only start relaxing once we are past the I65 turnoff to Indy.

Safe travels to all.

mjg
    MJGUTH
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2019 GMC Denali 1500 6.2L
    Curt TruTrack 15K WDH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not say this to anyone in particular, but something to consider. Along with the obvious safety issues of a lightweight truck at its payload capacity limits controlling the “train” in accident avoidance or potential quick stops, there are other areas to consider with the 1500 series lighter truck. Is the alternator stock or a beefier one like our Ram 2500. How many leafs / springs under the rear axel, what are the gear ratios for the transmission, is their increased cooling radiator capacity and possibly for the transmission. All these issues are advantages of the 2500 series and have absolutely nothing to do with towing ability or capacity. When I see post which are towing ability focused I find it’s someone who has bought into marketing mantra these dealers use to reel buyers in. To ignore payload abilities is not a good thing

Lastly and also very important is what happens in the long run with the truck screaming along on uphill grades at 4500 plus rpm over long periods of time vs loafing along on the same grade in a better gear.

You will see in many posts “ I have been doing this (1500) towing for years with no issues. “ “ you don’t even know it’s behind you” and other phrases. You cannot judge the extra strain placed on the frame or suspension in the beginning years of the truck of a “train” with an at or over payload capacity setup. This kind of gradual pressure put on by this setup is rarely evident in the first 5-7 years of the trucks life ( the warrenty period) . The comments should be taken with a lick of salt as they don’t reflect a long range ownership. Again these issues are related to payload vs towing capabilities.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast