User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King back to Queen

Our new Reflection has an optional king mattress in it. We would rather have a queen mattress and at least some nightstand arrangement on each side. The dealer won't do anything about changing it back, other than to take the king mattress and sell us a queen. Cutting down the platform would all be up to me. Therefore we're taking the king mattress for now. At least for the first few nights we'll use sleeping bags while we decide what to do. Most likely we will get a queen mattress and cut down the lift section.

Anyone else do this?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen threads where people went the other way and I'm sure someone out there has done it. You'll most likely have to remove the plywood deck to cut the part in the slide. Grand Design now sells parts directly to owners - you might check with them and see if they can get the little nightstands that go on either side of the queen. If not, they would be pretty easy to make if you do any woodworking and have the tools. Two cautions: 1) there are wires that come up through the rear outside corner of the bed slide (for the lights over the bed, etc.), and 2) the dealer is the last place you want to buy a mattress. Get a good foam mattress like the Tuft & Needle and put a ventilation substrate under it like this:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David,

We purchased a 2022 Momentum that had the king in it as well. We negotiated for the dealership to convert it back to a queen. This involved them purchasing the materials through GD and subsequently GD's wood shop and doing the installation at the dealership. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on the conversion kit to arrive - it's supposed to ship on Monday which will be almost 2 months since we purchased the Momentum. The conversion kit consists of the bed frame, top, matress, comforter, and the right side nightstand.

Maybe you can talk to GD about purchasing the kit yourself and doing the installation if the dealer won't do it? The dealership we used said it's only a couple hour job to complete, although I'm sure it would take me longer.

Clif

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. We've looked at a couple of videos to see what a queen setup looks like. We're thinking that maybe I'll just cut off the sides of the lifting part and leave the head end alone. Then I'll build/buy something to sit there, either permanently or removable. That will be up to Jo Ann.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Our new Reflection has an optional king mattress in it. We would rather have a queen mattress and at least some nightstand arrangement on each side. The dealer won't do anything about changing it back, other than to take the king mattress and sell us a queen. Cutting down the platform would all be up to me. Therefore we're taking the king mattress for now. At least for the first few nights we'll use sleeping bags while we decide what to do. Most likely we will get a queen mattress and cut down the lift section.

Anyone else do this?
    We did the conversion from Queen to King, unfortunately, we were not too happy with the results (there was hardly any space on one side to get into the bed). Additionally, we figured out that the sides of the slide actually limited our ability to use the extra space we gained with the conversion.

Consequently, we cut back one side of the bed and trimmed the mattress (and plywood base) to allow space for climbing into the bed. Note: we have a memory foam mattress and they can be easily trimmed with an electric carving knife (the kind you use to carve a turkey).

We have contemplated replacing the mattress with a Queen, however we do not anticipate cutting the wood back in the slide area. We will simply create a couple of "end table" boxes to fit the space which will allow us to place items on top. One note: we intend the top of the "end table" boxes to be well below the surface of the mattress top, this way we aren't bumping into it whenever we roll over in the middle of the night. We will however, be cutting back the plywood base on the sides of the bed between the foot of the bed and the slides.

Obviously, "contemplating" making a change, does not mean that "motivation" will happen in order to make that change happen.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawing and erasing lines on a piece of paper is much cheaper and easier than taking a saw to wood. Before we do anything I'm sure we'll have several designs on paper.
    David Lininger, kb0zke