Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slides, toppers and wind

Here in New Mexico people don't talk about the wind until it gets over about 30 mph. Then it is considered a bit breezy. We often have winds of 30-40 mph sustained with gusts of 60-80 mph. At what point should I bring the slides in? Our trailer will be parked with the door side to the east, and our prevailing winds are from the west. We can use the bedroom with the slide in. I think we can get to at least part of the refrigerator with that slide in. Monday we'll see exactly what is accessible with slides in. What's the best practice here?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a native New Mexican, "I feel ya!" The slides aren't the issue - the toppers are. When I'm in one place long enough, I run a length of parachute cord around each slide over the topper and tie it loosely at the bottom to hold the topper down during high winds. It works very well. I didn't do that last winter in Las Cruces (back end of the rig facing west) and had a topper start to rip at the inside rail. I had it replaced before we left last spring and I'm much better about putting the parachute cord on now.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 01-28-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last winter we had one day in open country in southern Arizona with 65 mph gusts hitting us broadside all day. I left the slides out and felt quite secure. Only minor rocking. I don’t have slide toppers so no concern there.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the wind is noisy or the rig is rocking we bring the slide in. Since we can get to everything anyway it's not big deal.

We had one wild night where we hooked up the truck just to lessen the rocking. 9000lb truck adds some ballast.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide