Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water pump usage

I have heard that if you are at an park with poor water pressure, it is best to fill up your fresh water tank and use it for better pressure.

Is this a thing? Also, do you leave the pump on all the time (I assume it shuts off)?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. It will take longer to fill the tank because of the low city water pressure, though. You then configure your Nautilus panel for "Dry Camping" and leave the pump on. It has a pressure cut-off switch that only turns the pump on when a faucet is opened. Your dealer should have gone through this with your during your PDI - but it's in your manual, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes. It will take longer to fill the tank because of the low city water pressure, though. You then configure your Nautilus panel for "Dry Camping" and leave the pump on. It has a pressure cut-off switch that only turns the pump on when a faucet is opened. Your dealer should have gone through this with your during your PDI - but it's in your manual, too.

Rob
    Nautilus for Dry Camping? I don't have that kind of rig.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Nautilus for Dry Camping? I don't have that kind of rig.
    I just looked at the manual for your trailer (you should have one in your paperwork packet). Apparently, you have a check valve system. Put the lever for the water system in the "City Water" position, turn off the city water, and turn on the water pump.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    If you do this, be sure to turn off the water from the "City" and disconnect the hose from the camper (otherwise you might forget and have pressure on the "City" side of the system).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that if you are at an park with poor water pressure, it is best to fill up your fresh water tank and use it for better pressure.

Is this a thing? Also, do you leave the pump on all the time (I assume it shuts off)?
    Yes, it is a "Thing"...

We do this whenever the overnight temperatures are expected to get below freezing. We fill the onboard tank and switch on the water pump.

When we are dry camping we do not leave the water pump turned on, we simply turn it on and off as needed. This saves our battery.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is a "Thing"...

We do this whenever the overnight temperatures are expected to get below freezing. We fill the onboard tank, roll up the hose and switch on the water pump.

When we are dry camping we do not leave the water pump turned on, we simply turn it on and off as needed. This saves our battery.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, it is a "Thing"...

We do this whenever the overnight temperatures are expected to get below freezing. We fill the onboard tank, roll up the hose and switch on the water pump.

Thanks. We were at one place that was on a well. The pressure would be anything between a dribble and waterfall. Glad we had the regulator. It looks like we will be at 45 psi if we use the pump.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, it is a "Thing"...

I have never seen a water pump that draws power after it has pressurized the system. The pump has a pressure switch in it, when it hits it's set point (around 45 PSI) it shuts off,

I do not like to leave it on when it is not needed for a different reason. A water leak.
    I installed a one hour mechanical timer for my pump. That is enough time for dinner/dishes etc. It ensures that when we leave the coach that the pump will not have power for long, With 155 gallons on board, a leak while we are gone could be a catastophic event
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-28-2023 at 06:22 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got in the habit of using the tank when we started out in the Foretravel. With a 105 gallon fresh water tank we could go about a week between fills. The black and grey tanks were sized accordingly (50 and 110 gallons) so it was a weekly item to dump and fill. Our Reflection has smaller tanks, so we're needing to fill and dump more often. One thing I miss is that the Foretravel had latching relays for the pump, with a switch in the bathroom and another by the kitchen sink. We could turn the pump on or off from either spot.

Although we never had a disaster, we read about others, so we are in the habit of turning the pump on when water is needed and then turning it off when we're done. That way there is less of a chance of a water leak.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar