User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFCI Outlet for Washer Trips Under Normal Load

Attempting to use a new washing machine in our new 2023 GD Solitude 373FB-R. The washing machine is 120 V / 15 Amp. We installed the washing machine. When plugged in, it powers on and begins wash cycle just fine but then the GFCI outlet trips after a few minutes into the normal wash cycle. No other AC draw at the time except refrigerator. I switch off all circuit breakers (including sub-panel) and then switched off main circuit breaker at the post. After several minutes I turned all breakers back on. I reset the GFCI outlet (orange light went out). Started the load again again and after several minutes it again tripped the GFCI plug.

I have confirmed that my Miele WXF660WCS washer is 120 V/15 Amp.
    Confirmed that the it is only the GFCI at the outlet that is tripping, not any of the circuits.

Do I need to replace the GFCI outlet? Does the washer sometimes draw more than 15 Amps and therefore cause the GFCI circuit to trip? Am I correct in assuming that the GFCI outlet for the washer should be able to handle a 15 Amp load.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GFCIs have been known to be cantankerous. I would start with replacing that (it's the least expensive option) and see what happens.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with replacing the outlet. The washer probably doesn't draw more than 3A, it's when you are using dryer mode that most of the high current operation occurs.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Agree with replacing the outlet. The washer probably doesn't draw more than 3A, it's when you are using dryer mode that most of the high current operation occurs.
    The gfci receptacle will only trip if there is a ground fault. It will not trip if over amp. You may want to try plugging in another appliance (like a blender) if it trips, then remove gfci and look at the ground wire it could be touching or almost touching the hot leg. Or bad gfci receptacle. If no trip, look at your washer
    Dennis and Janice
    2022 4500 chassis cab with custom CM bed
    2017 Momentum 388M

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olecountry09 View Post
    The gfci receptacle will only trip if there is a ground fault. It will not trip if over amp. You may want to try plugging in another appliance (like a blender) if it trips, then remove gfci and look at the ground wire it could be touching or almost touching the hot leg. Or bad gfci receptacle. If no trip, look at your washer
    I wasn't implying it tripped on overcurrent. OP had asked about washer exceeding 15A, just giving my opinion on the washer current draw.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guidance. I'll try out the above troubleshooting and, if necessary, replace GFCI. Relieved that the washer amperage won't be a problem!
    Last edited by kbhehl; 01-29-2023 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be helpful to know the model number. It helps to understand the electrical layout and potentially what else may be on that circuit.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS