User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank slinger / spinner quit

I searched and didn't find anything related to slinger or spinner.

Up until now I could always hear my black tank slinger spinning and spraying. Now I don't. Also, the vacuum breaker/one way valve started buzzing when applying water at the inlet, whereas it didn't do that before.

I removed the vacuum breaker and I don't think it's working correctly. I cannot blow air into the inlet but the vacuum breaker does work when I suck air at the inlet. I cannot get air flow either direction at the outlet. (don't throw up, I rinsed it in bleach).

I removed the vacuum breaker and inserted a short length of 1/2" threaded pipe. I do get water to fill the black tank (slowly) but I still don't hear the slinger spinning.

I presume I'll have to replace the slinger. Not sure I want to drop the chloroplast and black tank to replace the slinger.

Anybody have any experience with these two components that might be useful?

thanks,
    Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn’t bother with it. In my experience they actually do very little. A spray wand down the toilet is far more effective
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I personally wouldn’t bother with it. In my experience they actually do very little. A spray wand down the toilet is far more effective
    That's what I'm thinking. I think mine worked pretty good, but I'd have to let it run for about 10 minutes to do the job. The two minutes recommended did very little. I'll find a spray wand to clean the tank every once in awhile. Thanks for the feedback.

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First of all - DON'T start using the BT spray without the vacuum breaker! All too easy to have a backflow that contaminates the campground water supply, potentially for everyone. To be safe, replace the one you have, even if you don't intend to use it ever - you'll forget and when you sell the trailer the next person will be at risk of polluting the campground. Do a search here, it is a pretty easy retrofit with one better from Home Depot, etc.

Drag a hose and a sprayer into the bathroom? - that's a chore of a process to have to face repeatedly!

Two minute rinse? NEVER enough! The BT flush on its own does some, but not very much! Time how long it takes to fill a 5 gal pail with your hose. Then do the math to see how long it would take to fill your empty black tank 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Or get a cheap flow meter from the hardware store. After the first dump, close and partially fill the tank using the BT flush, according to the time you calculated (or your meter). Then dump again. Repeat as needed until only clear water comes out, or at least only a few tiny bits of paper. In camp, it will take me three times. When getting ready for putting away for awhile (last empty of the trip), I may do it 5 times to get everything completely out. It is surprising how much stays behind...

Yes, overfilling can be very bad, hence watching your timer/meter closely, and never letting something/someone distract you.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. I think mine worked pretty good, but I'd have to let it run for about 10 minutes to do the job. The two minutes recommended did very little. I'll find a spray wand to clean the tank every once in awhile. Thanks for the feedback.

Dustin
    I do still use mine each time I dump but I always use the toilet wand at the end of a trip
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    First of all - DON'T start using the BT spray without the vacuum breaker! All too easy to have a backflow that contaminates the campground water supply, potentially for everyone. To be safe, replace the one you have, even if you don't intend to use it ever - you'll forget and when you sell the trailer the next person will be at risk of polluting the campground. Do a search here, it is a pretty easy retrofit with one better from Home Depot, etc.

Drag a hose and a sprayer into the bathroom? - that's a chore of a process to have to face repeatedly!

Two minute rinse? NEVER enough! The BT flush on its own does some, but not very much! Time how long it takes to fill a 5 gal pail with your hose. Then do the math to see how long it would take to fill your empty black tank 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Or get a cheap flow meter from the hardware store. After the first dump, close and partially fill the tank using the BT flush, according to the time you calculated (or your meter). Then dump again. Repeat as needed until only clear water comes out, or at least only a few tiny bits of paper. In camp, it will take me three times. When getting ready for putting away for awhile (last empty of the trip), I may do it 5 times to get everything completely out. It is surprising how much stays behind...

Yes, overfilling can be very bad, hence watching your timer/meter closely, and never letting something/someone distract you.
    I have tested the rinser by running it 8 times using almost 200 gallons of water I close the valve and put in 25-30 gallons then dump. The water was crystal clear. I then used a toilet wand and filled the tank up and dumped. The water was black. Tank rinser are almost useless
    A toilet wand is quite a simple task. Just put it through the window
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have tested the rinser by running it 8 times using almost 200 gallons of water I close the valve and put in 25-30 gallons then dump. The water was crystal clear. I then used a toilet wand and filled the tank up and dumped. The water was black. Tank rinser are almost useless
    A toilet wand is quite a simple task. Just put it through the window
    Point taken - milage may vary depending on the trailer layout. On mine, no bathroom window, so either have to take the screens off a bedroom or living room window to route the hose, or under the trailer and in through the main door and then into the bathroom. The other camper takes a dim view of that....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

That's pretty much the process I go through now. I typically let the spinner help me add water. I use a timer when filling the black tank and if someone comes up to talk I shut it off. I've already ordered a new vacuum breaker for the reason you mentioned.

I replaced the bathroom sink a couple years ago and added a hand held bidet. Works fantastic, so I can just use the bidet hose to operate a hand held toilet swivel stick.

It was very easy to disassemble the vacuum breaker/check valve. Curious. Turns out the check valve is a rubber (not plastic) ball. It was "stuck" against the seat it rides against. It was stuck firmly enough it has the imprint of the seat into the ball. Not sure why or how that can happen. The "instructions" that come with a new breaker say not to leave it under pressure for more than 12 hours or the ball can get stuck. Water pressure from the inlet should move the ball forward away from the seat and compress the spring. For the ball to be stuck in the seat, by deforming the rubber ball, pressure would have to be coming from the black tank. I'm not sure how that would happen, but it did. I got the ball unstuck so re-installed it until the new breaker arrives.

Here's a new one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JC2Y5PU4&psc=1

Dustin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum breaker.jpg  
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post

I replaced the bathroom sink a couple years ago and added a hand held bidet. Works fantastic, so I can just use the bidet hose to operate a hand held toilet swivel stick.

Dustin
    I'll order a wand. That makes a lot of sense and will use way less water to clean the tank. Since I have this bidet hose, I can use it to avoid having to pull a garden hose into the trailer.

Here's a photo of the light weight sink, faucet and bidet I installed a couple of years ago. When not in use the wand hangs on a holder at the red arrow.

Here's a link to the bidet. But a taller faucet than the stock faucet is really needed to make this work.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Dustin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sink bidet.jpg  
    Last edited by toolman.dustin; 01-29-2023 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank rinsers get clogged and encrusted and need a little care. If you want some advice from a long-timer, use them and then get yourself a can of pressure washer pump saver, which is basically a soap an descaling solution and use it after rinsing. It'll keep the sprayer in good condition for a long, long time. I personally haven't needed to use a wand for at least 3 campers ago as my tank treatment regime works. Nonetheless, it's very easy to add a QD sprayer port in the bathroom so you can use a short length of hose and a wand if that's your preferred way to go. You could even use your existing rinser inlet, just be sure when you disconnect from the tank's rinser you cap that.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast