User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitches

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No hitch can completely eliminate truck suck, ProPride included. However, it does a much better job in these conditions than most other hitches. You don't get that "tail wagging the dog" you get with a hitch that has the pivot point at the hitch ball. The ProPride makes it feel more like you're driving a box truck than towing a trailer. It behaves like a 5th wheel going down the road. It's the only way to get the towing manners of a 5th wheel in a TT.

Proper loading is important to a good experience, but the ProPride will give you a much greater margin for error than any other hitch out there. Let's face it. There's no way to load the same way every time with these trailers. Water weight moves around. You might have a different load for long vs short trips or warm vs cold camping. With the ProPride, as long as you have most of the weight forward, you're good to go.

They're expensive, but after owning one, and towing with other hitches before owning mine, I think it's worth it.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Good news, I already do that. I get the proper weight at the hitch. The sway I am talking about is with a gust of wind or a truck passing. From what I gather the Propride changes the geometry and it acts more like a fifth wheel. I mean why would they say "eliminates sway" if it wasn't a thing?
    Thats normal when towing a TT. I get the same thing towing my 31' 9600 lb TT with a Ram 3500 CC LB. Plenty of truck and over 14% TW on the TT. It's just the nature of the beast when towing to get wind push and pull.

OT a little but if you want to feel wind push and pull then ride a large motorcycle like a Goldwing and pass a semi on the freeway. It will suck you in and push you out as you pass the front of the semi. Many times I had to counter steer a good amount to get back on track.

Back to your towing concerns, I would ask if you've actually weighed the truck and TT and set it up as best as possible.
    TT should be parallel to the ground and the trucks front end should be brought back to Ford specs after hitching. Tongue should weigh in around 12.5% min. All tires aired to the max.

The other issue is GD in their infinite wisdom to sell TT's to people with marginal tow vehicles has a habit of building their TT's and some 5er's with marginally low tongue and pin weights. That makes it harder to achieve the 12.5% to get the best tow.

Also what WDH are you using currently? Some are less effective than others.

On the PP/HA premium hitches. Yes they will eliminate the feel of sway in windy conditions or when passing a semi. BTDT with an HA. I had a TT that did exactly what yours is doing and with my F150 it never felt secure. I found a used HA and used it for a couple seasons. It works as advertised. I will note though that even though you can't feel the sway I could still see it in the side view mirrors. It wandered just as much but the effects were mitigated due to the WDH design.

As I became disgruntled with the doggy 5.4 in my F150 towing 7300lbs in the mtns I got a new Ram 2500 CC LB Cummins diesel. I ditched the HA for hitching reasons and went with a simple EAZ-Lift WDH. The TT still wandered and had push pull but the weight of the truck kept things under control. I could see the TT moving but the truck stayed planted solidly.

I would also add that if you're really loaded up at near GVWR in the TT or close to 7000 lbs loaded then IMO you're in 3/4 ton truck range. The alternative is the PP/HA. But it's a bandaid on a situation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at possibly getting a Propride for the TT. How is it compared to the better hitches on the market. Does it really live up to the hype?

I ask because it is stated it does eliminate the sway.
    I didn’t bother reading the whole thread so far. I used the ProPride when we bumper pulled a 32’ TT with a F150. I tried two other WDHs before I broke down and spent the money. [B]There is no comparison![B] Except for the ProPride and its twin, all other WDHs try to reduce sway. ProPride does not allow it to begin. Passing 18 wheelers bumped my truck and trailer sideways as one entire unit instead of one at a time.
    Before ProPride, I could tell when a semi was approaching from behind to pass. Trailer would push sideways but this didn’t happen with the ProPride. ProPride makes your rig and trailer act as one unit that won’t bend in the middle when traveling straight. It was white knuckles before ProPride but relaxed easy going after ProPride. Had I purchased it right from the get go like I wanted, I would have saved a several hundred dollars by not spending it on traditional WDHs. What they advertise is not hype, it really does what they claim. If I were ever to go back to bumper pull, I will buy another ProPride.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at possibly getting a Propride for the TT. How is it compared to the better hitches on the market. Does it really live up to the hype?

Wow. I just read the whole thread. Sounds like you did everything I did to maintain proper balance with how you load. I even purchased a Sherline tongue scale to make sure I had it right. Sway, suck push, etc, could not be eliminated. ProPride did it. The theory in the design of the hitch truly does project the pivot point of the trailer forward. It was hard to spend the cash but it IS well worth it.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would've bought one again but the hitching part is the deal breaker. Under normal circumstances it's not a big deal. Takes a little more finesse than a regular WDH but once used to it it's fine.
    Where the issues arise is on uneven ground. If you camp in CG's that have rough ground or are on a curved slope then hitching back up is a hassle.
    On mostly flat ground it's fairly easy. The other issue is it's a proprietary hitch in that the tow vehicle needs a stinger to move it. Left at a dealer then the stinger needs to stay. If they lose it then you're SOL.
    Plus side is no need to lock it because it's highly unlikely any thief will have a PP/HA stinger.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you asked for experience with the Propride, but I thought I would give perspective on my experience with a large heavy bumper pull and a non Propride hitch.

I can’t speak to the Propride, but, I do know that events can cause sway where there was none. Wind is certainly one of those events as is the truck suck push. When I had my 35 foot rv it was wonderful until a semi passed and then it would take both hands on the wheel to keep it straight.

With my current 38 ft bumper pull I use the Equalizer 4pt and have had zero issues with sway wind or semi’s. With that said, we are fair weather travelers and would choose to stay and wait for conditions to improve before traveling. Foe example we will not drive in winds over 30mph. I have heard amazing things about the Propride, just can’t seem to suck it up enough to shell out the money. I do feel it is overpriced.
    I do believe that a properly set up hitch is as important as the hitch itself and I am willing to bet more are improperly set up than not along with undersized hitches is why this is such a big subject all the time.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use an Equalizer E4 and don't have sway issues.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I know you asked for experience with the Propride, but I thought I would give perspective on my experience with a large heavy bumper pull and a non Propride hitch.

I can’t speak to the Propride, but, I do know that events can cause sway where there was none. Wind is certainly one of those events as is the truck suck push. When I had my 35 foot rv it was wonderful until a semi passed and then it would take both hands on the wheel to keep it straight.

With my current 38 ft bumper pull I use the Equalizer 4pt and have had zero issues with sway wind or semi’s. With that said, we are fair weather travelers and would choose to stay and wait for conditions to improve before traveling. Foe example we will not drive in winds over 30mph. I have heard amazing things about the Propride, just can’t seem to suck it up enough to shell out the money. I do feel it is overpriced.
    I do believe that a properly set up hitch is as important as the hitch itself and I am willing to bet more are improperly set up than not along with undersized hitches is why this is such a big subject all the time.

Bill
    I have no issues spending the money if it helps with safety. Like with batteries, I see no reason to spend $500+ on a battery if a cheap battery does what I need it to do.

It would be great if there was someone that had experience with many of the hitches. Or even better, many hitches and a fifth wheel just to get their opinions.

Currently I have an E2 hitch, I get the truck suck, the wind whip, etc. I feel that maybe my hitch is more of an entry level one.

Also, I do realize that my truck may play a part in this but I see people pulling way more weight with a lesser truck without issues (other than the obvious of going over towing capacity).

But I don't think me getting an F-250 will eliminate the sway.

I am very anal about towing, I will spend the evening before weighing the tongue, shifting weight as needed, etc. Then I hook it up and if the Wife adds something heavy, I disconnect and do it again.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no issues spending the money if it helps with safety. Like with batteries, I see no reason to spend $500+ on a battery if a cheap battery does what I need it to do.

It would be great if there was someone that had experience with many of the hitches. Or even better, many hitches and a fifth wheel just to get their opinions.

Currently I have an E2 hitch, I get the truck suck, the wind whip, etc. I feel that maybe my hitch is more of an entry level one.

Also, I do realize that my truck may play a part in this but I see people pulling way more weight with a lesser truck without issues (other than the obvious of going over towing capacity).

But I don't think me getting an F-250 will eliminate the sway.

I am very anal about towing, I will spend the evening before weighing the tongue, shifting weight as needed, etc. Then I hook it up and if the Wife adds something heavy, I disconnect and do it again.
    Again it really isn’t “sway”
    The reason “people pulling more weight with less truck” dont have issues is perhaps they are not making it one
    I experience suck and push all the time but I don’t even think about it
    It corrects itself with little driver response
    Wind is wind. Nothing is going to help that but again I have felt wind and don’t worry about it
    Around where I live semis get pulled from the highway often because of risk of tipping from high wind

Now true sway is when the heavier rear of a trailer is travelling faster than the front The hitch can’t make the rear go straight of course so the only place for it to go is out the sides
    This is only eliminated by proper loading
    Imo you are not comfortable towing perhaps a different hitch will help I don’t know. Only you can tell
    My Husky Centreline works very well with my combo
    Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Again it really isn’t “sway”
    The reason “people pulling more weight with less truck” dont have issues is perhaps they are not making it one
    I experience suck and push all the time but I don’t even think about it
    It corrects itself with little driver response
    Wind is wind. Nothing is going to help that but again I have felt wind and don’t worry about it
    Around where I live semis get pulled from the highway often because of risk of tipping from high wind

Now true sway is when the heavier rear of a trailer is travelling faster than the front The hitch can’t make the rear go straight of course so the only place for it to go is out the sides
    This is only eliminated by proper loading
    Imo you are not comfortable towing perhaps a different hitch will help I don’t know. Only you can tell
    My Husky Centreline works very well with my combo
    Good luck
    It probably was using the word "sway" was misinterpreted by some. Going down the road under normal conditions I get no sway. Had porpoising but that was addressed early on and that is when I bought the scale. Although, NY has some roads where I think a tank would porpoise.

I can handle the gusts and truck suck, it is not a major thing. You learn just to take it and adjust as needed. I also keep it at around 62 mph or less and that helps.

I just get into "tow" mode when I have the TT hooked up. Wide turns, break sooner than normal, make lane changes slower than usual, etc.

But if I could reduce the "suck and blow" sway then the Wife may drive.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast