User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hitches

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I agree, 100% ...... I would not tow a trailer without a Hensley or ProPride hitch either. Its funny, people but will spend like $30K-$60K on a trailer and then spend another $50K to $80K on tow vehicle, an investment upwards of $80,000 or more, but they won't spend an extra thousand or two on the safest trailer hitch ever designed. I just don't get it. These hitches are expensive, but they hold their value. I could sell my Hensley for more than I paid for it.
    Imo it is less safe than other hitches
    It hides poor towing set ups
    YMMV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a poor towing setup the result of?
    IMO it's starts with the TT specs.
    Not all TT's are built to tow well.
    Case in point. Almost every 2670 owner has sway issues. Most all are within specs.
    2nd example. I had a 2010 F150 Super Crew 145" WB 4x4 with IIRC 11,200 tow rating and 1857 lbs for CCC. 4050 RAWR. Steel body vs new lighter weight aluminum. I added E rated tires. SuperSprings and Rancho 9000 shocks.
    TT had 225/75/15D tires. Also added shocks to the TT.

2010 Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS
    TT weighed 7200+/- lbs loaded with an 8600 GVWR.
    TW was 900-950 lbs for 12.5%
    OAL 30'2"
    Trucks was weighed and measured with the front set at 0-50% of unhitched height.
    WDH was an Equa-Lizer 10000/1000.

Truck was with in 50 lbs of it's 7650 GVWR when loaded for camping.

It still had push pull and a decent amount of wandering in open areas with moderate winds in the 5-15 range.

Never white knuckle but always needed to stay on the wheel. Never felt like the truck was in charge all the time.

Both the truck and TT were all within specs and setup properly. I spent many hours fiddling with the WDH trying to make it tow well. Both were dialed in for level and weight transfer. It was fricking PITA to deal with.

Bought a used HA and the nightmare was over.

Point being is that regardless of whether or not you have done everything by the book, some setups just don't tow as well as others.

There was nothing else I could do except use the HA or as in the end get a 2500 CC LB diesel.

FWIW I've towed my sons 29' 6500 lb TT with my current 19 Ram 3500 CTD without any WDH and it's like nothings back there. Tracks perfect and power wise I hardly feel it. Why did my Heartland at 2' longer and 800 lbs heaver tow like crap? Cause the axles were too far forward giving it a teeter totter effect.
    Last edited by goducks14; 02-06-2023 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    What's a poor towing setup the result of?
    IMO it's starts with the TT specs.
    Not all TT's are built to tow well.
    Case in point. Almost every 2670 owner has sway issues. Most all are within specs.
    2nd example. I had a 2010 F150 Super Crew 145" WB 4x4 with IIRC 11,200 tow rating and 1857 lbs for CCC. 4050 RAWR. Steel body vs new lighter weight aluminum. I added E rated tires. SuperSprings and Rancho 9000 shocks.
    TT had 225/75/15E tires. Also added shocks to the TT.

2010 Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS
    TT weighed 7200+/- lbs loaded with an 8495 GVWR.
    TW was 900-950 lbs for 12.5%
    OAL 30'10"
    Trucks was weighed and measured with the front set at 0-50% of unhitched height.
    WDH was an Equa-Lizer 10000/1000.

Truck was with in 50 lbs of it's 7650 GVWR when loaded for camping.

It still had push pull and a decent amount of wandering in open areas with moderate winds in the 5-15 range.

Never white knuckle but always needed to stay on the wheel. Never felt like the truck was in charge all the time.

Both the truck and TT were all within specs and setup properly. I spent many hours fiddling with the WDH trying to make it tow well. Both were dialed in for level and weight transfer. It was fricking PITA to deal with.

Bought a used HA and the nightmare was over.

Point being is that regardless of whether or not you have done everything by the book, some setups just don't tow as well as others.

There was nothing else I could do except use the HA or as in the end get a 2500 CC LB diesel.

FWIW I've towed my sons 29' 6500 lb TT with my current 19 Ram 3500 CTD without any WDH and it's like nothings back there. Tracks perfect and power wise I hardly feel it. Why did my Heartland at 2' longer and 800 lbs heaver tow like crap? Cause the axles were too far forward giving it a teeter totter effect.
    I agree. Rear kitchen trailers imo should not be built but any trailer over 24 feet needs a 3/4 ton or bigger
    I am at the max with my 2400. I keep very heavy items up front to keep the TW upwards of 900 lbs
    I would rather overload the TV than have a light tongue
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I agree. Rear kitchen trailers imo should not be built but any trailer over 24 feet needs a 3/4 ton or bigger
    I am at the max with my 2400. I keep very heavy items up front to keep the TW upwards of 900 lbs
    I would rather overload the TV than have a light tongue
    I think it has more to do with how the TT is balance and where the axles are located on it then having a rear kitchen. We have no issues with how 22mle tows and love the layout.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I think it has more to do with how the TT is balance and where the axles are located on it then having a rear kitchen. We have no issues with how 22mle tows and love the layout.
    Yeah I wouldn’t consider your trailer a rear kitchen unit though anymore than mine
    It is over and slightly ahead of the axles
    The OPs is all behind the axles. Big tail weight
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Yeah I wouldn’t consider your trailer a rear kitchen unit though anymore than mine
    It is over and slightly ahead of the axles
    The OPs is all behind the axles. Big tail weight
    I think what happened is I used a word that was not what I was experiencing. During normal towing the truck and TT go along very well. I think what I meant is when a truck passes me or a slight gust of wind it causes the trailer to push to the side and the truck then goes with it. Again, not a big issue and as I have read, very normal. My preference would be to push truck and TT at the same time (like a fifth wheel) which I believe the ProPride hitch would do.

That being said, I think for what I have ow, I am good with it. I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton in the future and then we (Wife and I) will discuss what to camp in. I am looking at the 303RLS to do full time in and a 3/4 ton will do just fine. Not too small for full time because we are minimalists.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ProPride and Hensley Arrow are basically the same.

I agree proper weight and loading blah, Blah, Blah Blah-

Yes I paid a lot, Yes I load my trailer right, I have generators on the tail compensated by a battery bank in the front. I use scales religiously.
    I still had sway.
    With the Hensley Arrow I have NO SWAY EVER. Including a trip cross country in 40 mile per hour winds that fivers and big rigs were weaving and bobbing.

Hensley has a solid Stinger/ ProPride is adjustable. I do not know the facts but Jim Hensley and Hensley Manufacturing had a falling out and he partnered up with ProPride. I would use which ever I got a better deal with.

Here is the keynote- my wife will drive the trailer comfortably, she hardly wanted to ride shotgun before.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I agree, 100% ...... I would not tow a trailer without a Hensley or ProPride hitch either. Its funny, people but will spend like $30K-$60K on a trailer and then spend another $50K to $80K on tow vehicle, an investment upwards of $80,000 or more, but they won't spend an extra thousand or two on the safest trailer hitch ever designed. I just don't get it. These hitches are expensive, but they hold their value. I could sell my Hensley for more than I paid for it.
    I fully agree people crack me up. I do think the video with car pulling a trailer is over the top but I would never pull without mine. 35 years in the Emergency Room may have made me paranoid- but I will buy the hitch and brake set up rather than pay the deductible or the funeral home.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I think what happened is I used a word that was not what I was experiencing. During normal towing the truck and TT go along very well. I think what I meant is when a truck passes me or a slight gust of wind it causes the trailer to push to the side and the truck then goes with it. Again, not a big issue and as I have read, very normal. My preference would be to push truck and TT at the same time (like a fifth wheel) which I believe the ProPride hitch would do.

That being said, I think for what I have ow, I am good with it. I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton in the future and then we (Wife and I) will discuss what to camp in. I am looking at the 303RLS to do full time in and a 3/4 ton will do just fine. Not too small for full time because we are minimalists.
    We had a half ton Chevy and a 26' ft TT and it towed like a dream. The WDH that the seller just threw in with the sale must have been just an average run of the mill nothing special because I could never find any name or identification stuff on it. Never had sway or the semi windage movement. The fact that the truck was 5000lbs and the trailer was only 5400 lbs probably was the biggest contributing factor. It does say that with the right combination almost anything has the possibility of working well without spending lots of money.
    I know there has been a lot of discussion on the forum about the 303 and a 3/4 ton. Just looked up the basic stats on a 2022 ram 2500 and it gives the payload range from 1564 lbs to 4012 lbs. What a difference. Obviously some of the 3/4 trucks will not handle the 1850 factory pin weight. Sounds like homework is needed to get the right truck.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    We had a half ton Chevy and a 26' ft TT and it towed like a dream. The WDH that the seller just threw in with the sale must have been just an average run of the mill nothing special because I could never find any name or identification stuff on it. Never had sway or the semi windage movement. The fact that the truck was 5000lbs and the trailer was only 5400 lbs probably was the biggest contributing factor. It does say that with the right combination almost anything has the possibility of working well without spending lots of money.
    I know there has been a lot of discussion on the forum about the 303 and a 3/4 ton. Just looked up the basic stats on a 2022 ram 2500 and it gives the payload range from 1564 lbs to 4012 lbs. What a difference. Obviously some of the 3/4 trucks will not handle the 1850 factory pin weight. Sounds like homework is needed to get the right truck.
    You are very correct. That is why it is so important to understand how these specs work and how each of these trucks fits into them. RV and truck dealers absolutely will not tell you even if they did know. Most are ignorant and just want to sell to you, so they will tell you what you want to hear. It is up to us to learn and understand so we can buy from an informed place.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456