User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walk Through for Purchase- What To Expect?

Hello RV Friends,

We are new to RV'ing and are closing the deal on a GD 297RSTS on Tuesday. We will doing a pre purchase walk-through. Other than making sure everything works and there are no obvious faulty craftsmanship issues, does anyone have tips on "specifics" or non-obvious areas of concern to keep an eye out for? Are there walk-through checklists available? Also, kinda wondering how much pressure we will get to add on Extended Warranty. Still recovering from PTSD from our last car purchase where the financing person wouldn't take no for an answer...LOL. TIA!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people look at everything in detail and want any flaws repaired before they take delivery, some go as far as withholding final paperwork until all things are corrected. That's a great approach. Personally, I look for obvious concerns such as water dripping out from the belly or elsewhere or other obvious issues and have it corrected before leaving. But I don't worry about the small stuff as I much prefer to do my own repairs anyway whenever I can. So, it's up to you on your approach. Now we're mid-winter in MN so the 23LDE we picked up was already winterized from the factory and I did not insist on testing any of the water systems. I'll do that in the spring and fix issues myself or bring it back under the 1 year warranty (likely fix it myself). My shortlist would be: Test the slide traveling out and in to make sure it is operating correctly, look for water leaks if convenient given your location, look for any cosmetic damage. You could also check the appliances to make sure they are operating correctly, or plan to bring it back under warranty later.

Good luck and congrats!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGo1965 View Post
    Hello RV Friends,

We are new to RV'ing and are closing the deal on a GD 297RSTS on Tuesday. We will doing a pre purchase walk-through. Other than making sure everything works and there are no obvious faulty craftsmanship issues, does anyone have tips on "specifics" or non-obvious areas of concern to keep an eye out for? Are there walk-through checklists available? Also, kinda wondering how much pressure we will get to add on Extended Warranty. Still recovering from PTSD from our last car purchase where the financing person wouldn't take no for an answer...LOL. TIA!
    Good luck with your purchase, and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few PDI (pre-delivery inspection) forms out there (see https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)). In my experience, the dealer doesn't want to give you enough time for a thorough PDI. Don't be rushed. And don't be drawn off-topic by the person conducting the PDI. If you can find a way, don't sign the final paperwork unit you have completed the PDI and all issues are completed to your satisfaction even if this disrupts your schedule. Most dealers are way more attentive before they've got your money. And don't fall for the extended warranty, as @Riverbug said, you're much better off doing as much of the repairs yourself as you can. Dealers are there to sell coaches, service isn't the priority for most. This forum is full of stories from folks who've had their coach sitting at the dealer's lot waiting for service for weeks, even months. You can't enjoy your coach when you can't use it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Good luck with your purchase, and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few PDI (pre-delivery inspection) forms out there (see https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)). In my experience, the dealer doesn't want to give you enough time for a thorough PDI. Don't be rushed. And don't be drawn off-topic by the person conducting the PDI. If you can find a way, don't sign the final paperwork unit you have completed the PDI and all issues are completed to your satisfaction even if this disrupts your schedule. Most dealers are way more attentive before they've got your money. And don't fall for the extended warranty, as @Riverbug said, you're much better off doing as much of the repairs yourself as you can. Dealers are there to sell coaches, service isn't the priority for most. This forum is full of stories from folks who've had their coach sitting at the dealer's lot waiting for service for weeks, even months. You can't enjoy your coach when you can't use it.
    Oh yes, forgot to mention the extended warranties, nope. I make it very clear from the first mention that we will decline any extended warranties and I find that we do not have to discuss it after that. Of course they want you to sign a ridiculous document stating that you decline the warranty but whatever.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just throw this in the mix of ideas too. I've heard of folks, say a husband wife or ??? doing a video of the entire walk through. I didn't do it myself, but I think it's a great idea. You can then go back and watch the video after you get it home and maybe hear something being explained that you missed during the walk through. There will, or at least should be, a LOT of information being given to you at the time, and if you are like many people, some of it just isn't going to stick in you brain....It can be overwhelming; the amount of info for the campers when you are new. It also gives you something solid to have if there are issues that are misrepresented by the seller, told to do something was wrong or bad information, plus you've got some memories that you might enjoy later on when you become old pros at camping.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, a PDI for an experienced RV'er is completely different than one with folks that have never owned, camped in, or worked on one. I have a lot of sympathy for first time owners as it's got to be really difficult to know what defects to look for, and at the same time trying to take in all the info regarding how to operate the trailer and all the accessories.

In addition, folks are excited about their new purchase and can't wait to start camping.

My only suggestion to the OP would be not to be intimidated, and spend as much time as you want inspecting and learning to use the new trailer before signing the papers. You really can't tell a lot unless the trailer is hooked up to electricity and water.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another perspective
    I travelled 800 miles to pick up my trailer
    I was tired when I got there and all I wanted to do was turn around and head back home
    I spent a total of 20 minutes looking over the trailer while the tech installed my hitch then left
    I only noticed one issue once I got home. The motion lights in the pass through and entry were just regular lights(GD had no stock). A call to GD and they shipped them out quickly
    I couldn’t imagine spending hours looking over a trailer
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Another perspective
    I travelled 800 miles to pick up my trailer
    I was tired when I got there and all I wanted to do was turn around and head back home
    I spent a total of 20 minutes looking over the trailer while the tech installed my hitch then left
    I only noticed one issue once I got home. The motion lights in the pass through and entry were just regular lights(GD had no stock). A call to GD and they shipped them out quickly
    I couldn’t imagine spending hours looking over a trailer
    You may not be able to imagine it, but if you had some issues that needed to be resolved, you could easily have regretted not doing so. We traveled half way across the country, and were completely prepared to walk away if everything wasn't up to snuff. The idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars, and hoping a brief glance found all the problems, holds no appeal. Granted our PDI only took about 4 hours and all issues were resolved to our satisfaction before any papers were signed. Not a big deal if you have money to burn...we don't.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You may not be able to imagine it, but if you had some issues that needed to be resolved, you could easily have regretted not doing so. We traveled half way across the country, and were completely prepared to walk away if everything wasn't up to snuff. The idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars, and hoping a brief glance found all the problems, holds no appeal. Granted our PDI only took about 4 hours and all issues were resolved to our satisfaction before any papers were signed. Not a big deal if you have money to burn...we don't.
    Unless there was some major structural issue which there was no way there could have been I was taking it home regardless. All of my issues with this Grand Design trailer was after using it and most I have corrected myself better than a service dept could do
    You could spend hours and still miss many things or the drive home could shake something loose For me I just can’t imagine spending that kind of time looking
    Now if the dealership has a campground,and many do, I would recommend to take advantage of it
    My dealer has a campground but I picked mine up at the end of November in Canada
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit late to the game here, but the PDI is there to protect you. It provides you the opportunity to inspect and see for yourself that it is in the promised condition and all systems are working as advertised.

It is up to you to ensure you inspect to your satisfaction before you sign paperwork, furthermore if you find issues that are fixable, but you still want to take possession, you get a “Due Bill” that the seller is legally and contractually required to satisfy. Make sure you go through every system including opening and closing slides. Lots of great PDI lists out there. Many in the past several years have actually hired professional mobile mechanics to either do the PDI for you or accompany you to assist.

Strongly suggest you take advantage of the opportunity. Once you take delivery you are automatically agreeing it was in satisfactory condition to do so.

Good Luck and please let us know how it works out.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast