Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanitizing and 7% Sodium Hypo-Chlorate

Hi Everyone
    My wife and I are on the road January through mid April in our 2022 GD Reflection. I have never used the fresh water tank but will need to as we will occasionally dry camp… so I was getting ready to sanitize it.

My wife noticed the Clorox Bleach I bought is 7.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and the GD owners manual calls for 5% Sodium Hypo-Chlorate

Is this OK to use?

Thank you

Greg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. You can increase the water or decrease the bleach volume by 33% to accommodate the higher concentration, but it’s okay either way.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Yep. You can increase the water or decrease the bleach volume by 33% to accommodate the higher concentration, but it’s okay either way.
    Agree with this, just dilute a bit more and it’s fine.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Perfect, thank you!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Agree with this, just dilute a bit more and it’s fine.

Bill
    Great, thank you

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of 5% or 7.5% Sodium Hypochlorite, what is a good dilution rate to use? I've always just guessed at it, probably using too much, but never had any issues.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usual recommendation is 1/4 cup (of 6%) for every 16 gal the tank holds. Dilute in 1 gal first, before adding to tank and filling with water. Let sit for 6+ hours.

That gives roughly a concentration of 75 ppm, or about 20-25 times the amount usually recommended for drinking (3-4 ppm) - so don't do that.

I've seen RV references (Jayco) for doubling and cutting the time in half. That is a pretty harsh amount. The actual amount for drinking water only is far less, but in RV's we want it strong enough, and long lasting enough, to kill things that may be adhered to the tank/plumbing surfaces and not just floating around. That takes time, so going even stronger and even less time doesn't do anything except risk damage to you or your system.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember growing up as Boy Scout; we use to put teaspoon of Clorox in our canteens to santize spring water. It was even on Clorox label way, way back then, ha.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffofpa View Post
    Hi Everyone
    My wife and I are on the road January through mid April in our 2022 GD Reflection. I have never used the fresh water tank but will need to as we will occasionally dry camp… so I was getting ready to sanitize it.

My wife noticed the Clorox Bleach I bought is 7.5% Sodium Hypochlorite and the GD owners manual calls for 5% Sodium Hypo-Chlorate

Is this OK to use?

Thank you

Greg

Appreciate the replies. I put a cup of the bleach in my city water hose, then power filled the tank. Then turned on the pump and ran some water through each of my faucets. Waited 3 hours and then drained and refilled the tank with fresh water. Ran som water through each faucet again and then re-drained the tank. Hopefully good to go now, back on city water for a few stops until we hit parts of Texas

Greg

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't not hurt to have 1 or 2 oz of Clorox in fresh water tank at all times; depending on amount of water you have in tank. I usually run with less than 1/3 tank of fresh water at all times for traveling and stopping at rest areas then drain when I get back home unless camping again soon. We drink bottled water when camping and traveling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast