User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRW, here we go again.

I own a 2020 GD momentum 395M, This is a 42 footer, triple axle, 15,000 empty. I haul a Harley Triglide with me, or a golf cart not both. When I bought the trailer I had a SRW 2019 chevy 3500 silverado, since then I opted to trade it in on a new 2020 silverado 3500 SRW with the added tow capacity and 10 speed tranny. The truck pulls it good, Im not gonna lie, I know its there. The rig is level. The truck has a 21,300 max 5th wheel with 4000#payload. Here are some facts. The 5th pin weight is 3200, with nothing in the back. I am not looking for a blessing or a lecture but my truck is a everyday driver, yes less since I retired, I live in upstate ny and subject to snow in the winter. A dually has been on my mind but they suck in the snow and are not fun to drive around. How much real concern should I have. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220502_123041.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	44693

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 4k the payload listed on your truck, or the advertised number? Guess you should probably figure out your pin weight with the cart or bike in the back as well as whatever else you normally have and go from there.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scales are your best friend - and the only way to know for sure. Would a dually with 4WD be out of the question? If it's just my wife and me going shopping for the day or out to dinner, we take the car, but I don't have any issues driving the dually around on errands when she has the car or I need to bed to carry something.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    I own a 2020 GD momentum 395M, This is a 42 footer, triple axle, 15,000 empty. I haul a Harley Triglide with me, or a golf cart not both. When I bought the trailer I had a SRW 2019 chevy 3500 silverado, since then I opted to trade it in on a new 2020 silverado 3500 SRW with the added tow capacity and 10 speed tranny. The truck pulls it good, Im not gonna lie, I know its there. The rig is level. The truck has a 21,300 max 5th wheel with 4000#payload. Here are some facts. The 5th pin weight is 3200, with nothing in the back. I am not looking for a blessing or a lecture but my truck is a everyday driver, yes less since I retired, I live in upstate ny and subject to snow in the winter. A dually has been on my mind but they suck in the snow and are not fun to drive around. How much real concern should I have. Thanks

Just curious, did you round off the numbers for payload and pin weight? 3200 and 4000 sound like you either round them or you are going by brochure number and/or guessing on the weights. Have you actually scaled the truck and trailer to know the real number?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not yet but I need to,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The scales are your best friend - and the only way to know for sure. Would a dually with 4WD be out of the question? If it's just my wife and me going shopping for the day or out to dinner, we take the car, but I don't have any issues driving the dually around on errands when she has the car or I need to bed to carry something.

Rob
    We went through the same dilemma. I didn't want a dually because it would be our daily vehicle - grocery store, hardware store, propane, trailhead, exploring, etc. The numbers just didn't work out, so we went with the DRW. Empty pin weight, the hitch, us, and a few tools would have eaten all the SRW payload.

I have to admit that it hasn't been much of an issue. I've driven it quite a bit all around a big (home) city (600,000 pop.) without any issues. We spent two weeks in Banff, Alberta, driving around town and to trailheads, and almost a month in southern Utah doing the same thing. It has never been a problem. At most, we park 3 or 4 blocks further away than we would normally. It fits into most parking spaces at Costco, grocery stores, etc., but we park in the outer areas of the lot just to keep door dings to a minimum. Daily exercise is our goal anyway. The power folding mirrors are nice. I wish I could make them auto folding when the engine is off. You have to develop a heightened awareness of your width driving on narrow streets, but that is probably a good thing anyway. We are hardly ever in a big hurry so that helps. And, I never have to worry about exceeding payload.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not yet but I need to,
    You're likely going to find you are heavier than you think on the pin. You can find your actual truck's payload on the sticker on the driver's door or jamb. 4K should be pretty close unless lots of options. Driving a dually in snow is very subjective. Those who don't drive them routinely interpret how they're different as "sucking" and those of us who drive them routinely as normal. Everyone adjusts to what they drive. Studded tires and weight in the bed an option. Sounds like you're not going full-time, so another option is a bad weather vehicle/winter driver.

Nonetheless, in your efforts, don't forget to have everything in camping form. Whatever you normally have in the truck. The Mo loaded up as you'd camp, including holding tanks, and see where you are.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through this same dilemma. Used to tow a triple axle weekend warrior with an srw. When we bought our grand design, I also opted for the F450 dually at my wife's request. Have never regretted it. Thought using it as a daily would be a pain. Nope, minor adjustments to your routine and all is good. If it's in your budget, I'd get a dually and not worry about load.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am towing our 42' 378MBS with a 2022 Ram 3500 SRW and weighed at the scales pin weight is just over 3200 lbs. So far we have towed over 8000 km (5000 miles) and it all tows and handles very well. I am right at the limits or slightly over the payload of the truck with DW and I in the truck. I am also lighter than you at about 16,000 lbs loaded for camping. With toys in the back your pin weight will be easier to adjust than mine since most of my storage in in front of the axles. I would load up and go to the scales, see what your weights are and decide from there.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not yet but I need to,
    I'll just add this bit of info in here too. As I stated, I have almost the same exact trailer....minus the 1/2 bath in the garage. I've been at just under 4000 lbs of pin weight before, and that was with a Can Am Spyder in the garage and all the normal stuff I carry back there. Likely it would have been over 4000 lbs on the pin without the Spyder. It weighs in at just over 1000 lbs and is behind the axles, so that lightens the pin weight a little.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast