User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You have access to a CAT scale. There are more than 2000 of them in the US with locations in every one of the contiguous States. There are 60 in PA alone. Grab the app and find the local.

I have a very different opinion that the OP is 'fine' since we have no idea what he carries in the cab and bed that'll erode payload. 50 gallon auxiliary diesel tank is 350#. Pair of Caucasian Shepherds are 350#. Chest full of tools is ???#. Relying on anything published is a folly. Absolutely NO-ONE runs their truck or camper in such manner, and plenty more forget what they added I'm the first place... The little things soon add up to hundreds of pounds. For instance, my dually with flip down steps at both sides and one in the rear, tonneau, BAL tow-n-stow, ViAir compressor, heavy duty jumper cables, breaker bar, torque wrench, recovery strap, extinguisher, triangles, ICECO fridge, safe, goose ball and chain cleats, Maglite, and the larger midship tank took just shy of a 400# bit out of payload...

You want to see something a lot heavier than realized? Pull all clothing out of the camper and weigh it!

Getting on the scales is the only definitive way to determine what is what with how one loads and travels.
    We are full time. I agree with geotex1. Except for the dogs I carry most of the things he has listed.

Yes weight adds up really fast when full timing. I never knew how much clothes weighed until we went on the road. If you are a big guy your shoes will weigh a lot and you need hiking boots, fishing boots, street shoes ……

Things that add weight

Mattress - did you upgrade your mattress?
    Tool add up real fast but if you are on the road in the middle of nowhere you had better be able to fix what is broken.
    Don’t forget all your sewer, electrical and water stuff.
    Do you have solar?
    What about chocks, snap pads. Leveling blocks?
    Electric heaters, dehumidifiers

On and on. It all adds weight.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't trust advertised weights either. Some manufacturers are better than others, but some are terribly wrong. For example, we bought a weekend warrior back in '07. It's tag said 12,600#. Being naive, I towed with my F350 srw for years. Pulled into a weigh station once and found that the trailer was over 18k. And that was with a relatively empty garage. There was no way I had 5000 lbs of stuff in that trailer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have access to a CAT scale. There are more than 2000 of them in the US with locations in every one of the contiguous States.
    I don't live in the States. Closest one in my country is an 8 hour drive away.

But, you load like that because you can. Pulling a 337 with an SRW is entirely doable. Published pin weights are reasonably close..to an empty trailer, it's a reliable starting point.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you going to ford over chevy?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My user name was from my 07 CVO Road King.. Now I'm on 3 wheels. 20 Years of motocross and age now my knees are shot!. lol

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    What are you going to ford over chevy?
    Not sure if this was directed at me?

I wanted an F450, and ordered one, but couldn't find a reasonably priced one on a lot. I needed a truck to pick up our camper so I bought the Chevy. Whenever the F450 is built I will swap trucks as long as I get close to what I paid for the Chevy. The Chevy is a great truck and pulls the camper without any issues; if I have to keep it, I'll still enjoy it. The rest of my family thinks the seats aren't too comfortable in the Chevy compared to our previous Fords, but I don't think it's a problem. The F450 will have a bigger fuel tank which I like. If I have to keep the Chevy, I will be swapping fuel tanks. Holding off on any truck mods for now until I know what happens with the F450.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    My user name was from my 07 CVO Road King.. Now I'm on 3 wheels. 20 Years of motocross and age now my knees are shot!. lol
    I have a 2018 Ultra Limited Anniversary that I don’t ride much anymore. 3 wheeler definitely helps with the knees for sure. I will add back too! Been riding for 42 years.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I don't live in the States. Closest one in my country is an 8 hour drive away.

But, you load like that because you can. Pulling a 337 with an SRW is entirely doable. Published pin weights are reasonably close..to an empty trailer, it's a reliable starting point.
    I missed you're North of the border, but you do know it's easier for you right? The MTO will let you weigh at no charge, and you have that facility they spent 10s of millions on in Thunder Bay.

I'm sorry, but your faith in the sales literature is misplaced. I speak from real world knowledge having literally spent 2.5 mos. worth of time at the GD SC, and their scale is right there, on top of nearly a half century of trailering. Sales literature is basically a stripped coach in terms of options. Most everything scaled off the line, which all are for GD, are literally hundreds of pounds heavier on the pin. If you were saying to rely on the scale sheet provided with the rig, that would be a good start and then weighing everything put in and calculating holding weights. This isn't new nor unusual in the RV industry, and no different than the automotive industry. Gotta work off the actual builds. I cannot tell you after being on these boards 25+ years how many are stunned when they roll over the scales versus all their figuring... Part of the reason every major rally of the manufacturers has the portable scale guys busy for the duration. Heck, one of our members here was 560# short of what he figured he was on the pin and over payload by half a ton after we went to the scales together. In bed tank went bye-bye as did the hard tonneau, and roof rack with bikes. Bikes went to a rear receiver on the 5er lightening the pin, lessening clothes, and ditching unused cookware and now he's rolling along within the limits of the SRW.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed you're North of the border, but you do know it's easier for you right? The MTO will let you weigh at no charge, and you have that facility they spent 10s of millions on in Thunder Bay.
    No, I didn't know it was easier. Where is this place they spent millions on? The transport scale close to my house doesn't look like spent anything on it. lol.
    Really thanks for the idea. I didn't think the MTO would let campers bother them. I'll look up some phone numbers. It would be nice to know rather than guess.
    Actually, you say they carry portable scales to rally? Cool. I'll be in Quartzsite in a few weeks for the rally. I hope they bring them.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Edit..I guess the 20% rule doesn't really work for stuff you load, but it must be a significant amount to add 1000# to the pin.
    If you load weight half way between the pin and the axles, about 50% of that will go on the pin... and on the 310GK and 337RLS the basement, battery compartment, and front closet (including W/D) are a bit closer to the pin than they are the front axle.

I thought all you full-timers were thrifty on possessions...
    It's relative. We're "thrifty" in the sense that we don't have nearly as much stuff with us as we had when we lived in a four-bedroom house with a double garage, but we also need to carry four seasons' of clothing with us, maintenance stuff for the rig that weekenders might leave at home to do there (wash/wax equipment and supplies and a few woodworking tools for example), more food and kitchen stuff than recreational campers might carry, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast