User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire blowout - Double Ram bottle jack - twice lift height as single ram

Amazon sells a double ram 8 ton bottle jack that will lift twice as high as single ram bottle jack. When 1st ram stops the 2nd one starts lifting.

Discovered single ram wouldn't lift may camper high enough after tire blowout to change tire; then started looking for a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-RED-Doubl...01&sr=8-3&th=1
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-30-2023 at 02:56 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tonnage rating for that jack? It sounds good, but anything less than 8 ton rating is going to struggle when you try to change a tire. Be sure to give it a try at home and make sure it does the job without undue strain, and will fit under the axle when the tire is flat.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty nice, short, but lifts high. The 8-ton will struggle a bit, but should get the job done. I may have to check it out closer, my 12-ton can be a bit too tall at times. Especially when the tire is flat.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    That is pretty nice, short, but lifts high. The 8-ton will struggle a bit, but should get the job done. I may have to check it out closer, my 12-ton can be a bit too tall at times. Especially when the tire is flat.
    I have that same jack in the 4-ton version. Jack lift capacities are vastly over-rated IMO. 4 ton = 8,000 lbs, right. When I put that jack under one of the front corner wheel mounts of my 2012 Toyota Tundra (total curb weight is 5,640 lbs) it is all I can do to force the handle down when on the 2nd cylinder. The weight at that front wheel can't be more than 2,500 lbs, only about 33% of the stated jack capacity. I would be surprised if that 8-Ton jack lifted more than 6,000 lbs on the 2nd cylinder.

I really like the jack and use it often. Just don't go into it thinking that 8 Ton jack will lift 16,000 lbs. It should be OK lifting one RV wheel off of the ground.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for information. When it came in I tried lifting one side of camper and it worked fine on camper but our 2250Rk is not that large. They sell higher tonnage and if I had larger camper after what you said I would get higher tonnage jack.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-31-2023 at 03:07 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to try it on the wheel to get it high enough to remove the wheel. Trying it on one side of the camper doesn't really mean much since you're just lifting with the help of the springs and stuff, unless you lifted it high enough to get a wheel off the ground. Don't wait to try it out on the road when you really need it, try it at home and you'll be sure it will work when you need it most, but JMO of course. As was mentioned those rated weights don't really seem to mean much.
    Howard and Peggy