User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Black Tank Valve handle Broke

Well it finally happened to us, the black tank dump handle broke right off the cable on the nautilus panel with the black tank valve partially open. Handle and shank broke right off the cable! Now to find the part number and get it ordered then arrange to replace it, down comes the corolplast to get to the valve and of course it's cold outside!.
    Maybe I can get the valve all the way open once I get in there, and thoroughly rinse the black tank before I or so0meone else, starts replacing the dump valve.

Well, shoot the GD parts listing isn't very clear, it does list part number 310112 3S x 3S Term Valve 72" cable. What does 3S x 3S mean, I think that's it but I'm not so sure. The pic doesn't look like it's 3 inch and I believe the black dump valve is 3". It lists a 72" cable and I believe that's what the black dump valve has.

Then our RV is a 2019 and I don't know what kind of black tank dump valve it has Bristol / LaSalle or Valterra or something else. Of course the handle and shank that came off in my hand has no markings on it. The cable just broke right off the end of the shank.

Then what to replace it with............. I think that's it GD number 310112 or 34466N4BB72GM LaSalle/Bristol

This kind of stuff only happens at the most inopportune times!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-31-2023 at 03:31 PM. Reason: additional
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valterra valves typically have Valterra on the handle. Someone mentioned the Bristol valves now have the ability to change the handle/cable without removing the valve. My 2017 did not have that ability, but hopefully your 2019 does.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Valterra valves typically have Valterra on the handle. Someone mentioned the Bristol valves now have the ability to change the handle/cable without removing the valve. My 2017 did not have that ability, but hopefully your 2019 does.
    Shoot!! Those dump valves are typically glued to the connecting black pies aren't they?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-31-2023 at 03:32 PM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Those dump valves are typically glued to the connecting black pies aren't they?
    Yes and no. The flange is glued to the tank and a manifold pipe, the valve is bolted to each flange.

The problem is there isn't much play in the manifold pipe, so aligning the valve properly while ensuring the oring is properly seated is difficult.

I had the best outcome by using a sawzall on the manifold pipe so the valve could be aligned by itself and used a sewer pipe rubber coupling with hose clamps to cover the cut. Did this on two location in my 399 and never had any follow on leaks.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I wonder if I go with a replacement LaSalle/Bristol can I take the bolts out and not use the new flanges, then slip it between the existing flanges and put the bolts back in, using a little plumbers grease to hold the seals in place?

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...6N4BB72GM.html

or go with something like the Valterra replacement, you cant take the pull handle T end off this one. Gotta fish the cable through the sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-TC37...id=674469&th=1

Or this one from campingworld
    https://www.campingworld.com/72quot%...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-31-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    So I wonder if go with a replacement LaSalle/Bristol can I take the bolts out and not use the new flanges, then slip it between the existing flanges and put the bolts back in, using a little plumbers grease to hold the seals in place?

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...6N4BB72GM.html

or go with something like the Valterra replacement, you cant take the pull handle T end off this one. Gotta fish the cable through the sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-TC37...id=674469&th=1

Or this one from campingworld
    https://www.campingworld.com/72quot%...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I was able to replace the valve just like you've described, bolt the new one where the old one was, no new flanges. Don't give up hope on the cable, some of the cables have a set screw that allow you to replace the cable without replacing the valve, but the only way to check is to actually get in there and check where the cable attaches to the valve. It is a tight fit getting the valve back in there, but mainly a PIA, not terrible complicated.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I wont know until I get the coroplast down to see what I got. For now I shut the external Valterra valve to keep liquid up into the black tank so hopefully there wont be any clogs. I need to get the black tank dump valve fully open so I can rinse the tank before I tackle whatever I have to do to replace the valve.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I replaced mine I started with Bristol and replaced with Valterra, didn't change the flanges.

I tried your method with trying to slip the valve in, I eventually got it in, and filled the tanks with water to check with leaks, all seemed well. A month or so later, I found this terrible smell when I opened the storage door, dropped a portion of coroplast and gallons of black water came out, it was a mess! That's when I opted to cut the pipe like I described earlier. Turns out one of the valves did leak after all, never had a leak after I installed the valve without having to fight with the manifold. I suppose it depends on your layout, I had 3 tank discharges to a common pipe, so it didn't have much play when swapping valves.
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 01-31-2023 at 04:40 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to replace by dropping the underbelly in the 3350. Clear out your basement and take down the bulkhead. You can get to there. Most all the valves will interchange on the flanges. There's plenty of wiggle room with the tanks to be able to pry apart. Depending how wild they cut the basement floor will be how easy it is, and no problem to clean up some of those cuts.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 337 has Bristol valves which is printed on the handle as in your first Etrailer link. The cable is removable and can be replaced without replacing the valve. There is a set screw that holds the cable to the valve and screw holding the moulded end of the cable to the valve housing. If you can get to the valve you should be able to move it if it is still working. Good luck.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast