User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I buy my TT. ???

I am close to buying a GD imagine xls 17mke. Is there any “extras” I should be talking to the dealer about before I sign the paperwork (ex. Add a trailer hitch, upgrade solar, etc.)?
    Thx

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you don't already have a hitch I would say that's a "must have".
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, hitch for sure. Slide topper perhaps, I prefer them anyway. Solar and that stuff, assuming you're new to RVing I say wait and use it for a while. See how you like to camp first, how much boondocking you do, what style of travel you do, etc.. Then look at upgrading things after a season and you'll have a better feel for what you will consider money well spent.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slide topper- good idea. Thanks for the advice. Now to pick out a decent inverter/generator - looking at a Cummins P4500i

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Things a dealer should (but a few don't) include, without extra charge:
    Battery
    Full LP tanks

There are some rock bottom items you must have to be able to use your camper, that usually are "extra":
    Hitch - dealer may only offer one brand, and may not be a recognized "good" one. Depends on the dealer, and that you may be on your own to install and setup in their lot if you want something else! Find out first what they offer, and do research!
    Drinking water safe hose.
    Sewer hose and associated couplings.

Minimal nice to have extras:
    Adapters for 50-30 amp (if your trailer has 50 amp)
    Adaptor for 30 amp to 15 amp, so you can power some of it at home.
    Clear adaptor for the above sewer hose.
    Pressure regulator for water.
    Surge/over-under voltage protector.

The selection of any of the above supplied by the dealer may be minimal or of lowest cost/quality. Some you may get "included", some may be additional cost items. Do some pre-shopping on Amazon to get an idea of what costs actually are. Some dealers just give you "store credit" to shop their highly marked up parts store.

More costly updates (toppers, powered fans instead of vents, self adjusting brakes, suspension upgrades, solar, inverters, lithium ready converters, etc.) that require actual install work MAY be a better deal if included as part of a complete purchase package - but depends on how knowledgeable and strong of a negotiator you are.

Stay far, far away from:
    Extended warranties.
    All "finish protection" add-ons.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good input; another item I have negotiated are the vent covers; not a necessity, but they are nice to have and cheap/simple enough that dealers may be willing to toss them in to close the deal.

I guess a lot depends on how aggressively they have already moved on price. I tried to get them to toss in slide toppers, but best I could do was get them at cost.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that anything extra you get from the dealer will most likely be more expensive as they take a cut. Sometimes a real big cut. And you might not have a chance to choose which make model. No dealer will carry every wdh out there. If you are handy, you could save on cost by shopping around for accessories and installing them yourself. Some are harder to install like slide toppers. Some could void a warranty like hardwired EMS (this one is debatable) and frame welded rear hitch. Just things to think about. Personally, if the price was right, I'd do the topper, hardwired EMS and SoftStart. But only if the price is right.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for your advice.
    I am now the owner of a new GD Imagine XLS 17MKE. I was able to negotiate the price down to my satisfaction. The things I still need I will get on Amazon (or elsewhere) and do the work myself.
    I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond- take care,
    C u on the road…
    Mike

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Max-air fan is another nice-to-have I didn't see mentioned. Our previous camper (Flagstaff) came from the factory with one, but GD does not put them on standard, at least I have not seen them in the Imagines. Those things really move air through the camper and are awesome for sleeping comfortably at night when you are boondocking and can't run a generator past quiet hours.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast