User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eternabond is awesome, just make sure you prep the area according to their instructions and use a metal roller afterwards.
    They sell that too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on the eterna bond. I tried removing it around a broken skylight just to see how well it stuck. It's not coming off unless you TRY to remove it, and trying to remove it is a pain in the **********.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - Eternabond is nothing more than a commercial roofing product that's sent to a finisher that resizes and packages smaller rolls. If your repair is large, and you need something wider, it can be had from the commercial world. If you have any flaps or membrane pulled from the adhesive, it's best to get repair adhesive and secure them before patching. Properly prepared and constructed patch will last as long as the primary membrane.

As for the cost, it's fair for professional replacement. The labor is intense because the roof sheathing has to be sanded, usually then overlaid, mylar taped, and new membrane adhered with all finishing. Keep in mind the cap has to be removed to do a proper replacement.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lan4555 View Post
    Hi All,

I have a 2019 GD 21 BHE. I scrapped a tree while driving that scratched and tore the edge of the roof in about a 5 foot section. I am being told by a repair shop that the only right way to repair this is to replace the entire roof since its all "one piece" . The total cost is around 12k.

I have some tape as you can see from the picture and the tear isn't too extreme.

Is there a cheaper way to properly repair this without replacing the entire roof?

<<<URL removed>>>
    Did you file a claim? If the RV repair center thinks you need a new roof, most of the time the insurance company will pay. In my case, I pulled into a parking lot and struck the telephone wire with the front Air unit. It moved the air unit and tore the roof. I patched it and continued with my vacation. My insurance would not pay for a new roof but they reimbursed me for the work I did. I'm taking my RV in next week for damage done by a blow out so I'm gonna have them look at my roof and hopefully they will agree with me that the roof needs to be replaced.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    Did you file a claim? If the RV repair center thinks you need a new roof, most of the time the insurance company will pay. In my case, I pulled into a parking lot and struck the telephone wire with the front Air unit. It moved the air unit and tore the roof. I patched it and continued with my vacation. My insurance would not pay for a new roof but they reimbursed me for the work I did. I'm taking my RV in next week for damage done by a blow out so I'm gonna have them look at my roof and hopefully they will agree with me that the roof needs to be replaced.
    Why replace it? It must not be leaking
    I personally would never want that extensive type of work done if it wasn’t really needed.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the repair estimate is valid IF they do a good solid repair as was outlined in an earlier post meaning either replacing the wood sheathing or sanding it If this were me, I would look at doing a couple of things...

Gluing down what remains in place making the gap/cut/rip sa small as possible.
    Cleaning the roof in larger area around that now split in the roofing material.
    putting down eternabond tape
    get a roof patch and use primer in the area around the tape and glue down a patch of TPO roofing material.
    Seal the edges of the patch with eternabond
    Enjoy

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenasboy View Post
    RV Armor and Flex Armor are both better options and I believe at a lesser cost. Somebody who knows more will surely chime in. I plan to do one of these when the time comes but haven't put the research in yet to know which is better. I believe one company will come to you and do the work and the other you will have to take the rig to them.
    Just got Flex Armor on my 42 foot Solitude. About $8000. They warrant it for life.

They have installers all over the country.
    2020 Solitude 382WB-R
    2020 F-350 Lariat CC DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had same issue but mine was a spot about the size of a quarter.
    Great American RV wanted me to turn it in to insurance to have the whole roof replaced for $12,000.
    To me that was crazy. Insurance company said patch it but RV place refused to patch it and would only replace entire roof. They said patch is only temporary for a couple months.
    I called Grand Design and they laughed and said use EternaBond.
    I called another RV repair facility and they said use EternaBond on something that small. I took a 6 in by 6 in piece and cut it into a 6 in circle and cleaned surface with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Great American RV did put some sealant over the small tear till I was able to come get it for another problem. I kinda trimmed that flat so EternaBond would fit flatter and rolled it with a wooden roller.
    The RV shop I bought the EternaBond from recommended going around the edge of the EternaBond with roof sealant to keep air from trying to get under it. Anyway that’s how I fixed mine.
    The RV place was trying to get insurance to pay $12,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I have a 2019 GD 21 BHE. I scrapped a tree while driving that scratched and tore the edge of the roof in about a 5 foot section. I am being told by a repair shop that the only right way to repair this is to replace the entire roof since its all "one piece" . The total cost is around 12k.

I have some tape as you can see from the picture and the tear isn't too extreme.

Is there a cheaper way to properly repair this without replacing the entire roof?

<<<URL removed>>>
    Cost me almost 13k to get our roof repaired/replaced. They have to remove everything down to the framing when replacing it, which is why it costs so much.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, yup there is eternal bond on there now. According to the shop its a temporary fix and has to be replaced every 6-12 months. Seems like BS to me but thanks for confirming.
    They want to sell you a roof.

You are fine with the patch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast