User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof repair estimate, is this crazy??

Hi All,

I have a 2019 GD 21 BHE. I scrapped a tree while driving that scratched and tore the edge of the roof in about a 5 foot section. I am being told by a repair shop that the only right way to repair this is to replace the entire roof since its all "one piece" . The total cost is around 12k.

I have some tape as you can see from the picture and the tear isn't too extreme.

Is there a cheaper way to properly repair this without replacing the entire roof?

<<<URL removed>>>
    Last edited by xrated; 02-01-2023 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Url removed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Armor and Flex Armor are both better options and I believe at a lesser cost. Somebody who knows more will surely chime in. I plan to do one of these when the time comes but haven't put the research in yet to know which is better. I believe one company will come to you and do the work and the other you will have to take the rig to them.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof repair estimate, is this crazy??

Just use eternabond

It comes in many different widths

It will permanently repair any roof

It may not look pretty but who cares , it is on the roof out of sight
    It wouldn’t bother me to buy your trailer either because I would appreciate the fact that you noticed it and repaired it
    I personally would never spend thousands to replace an entire roof
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White gorilla tape is really good too.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Just use eternabond

It comes in many different widths

It will permanently repair any roof

It may not look pretty but who cares , it is on the roof out of sight
    It wouldn’t bother me to buy your trailer either because I would appreciate the fact that you noticed it and repaired it
    I personally would never spend thousands to replace an entire roof
    Thanks for your reply, yup there is eternal bond on there now. According to the shop its a temporary fix and has to be replaced every 6-12 months. Seems like BS to me but thanks for confirming.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lan4555 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, yup there is eternal bond on there now. According to the shop its a temporary fix and has to be replaced every 6-12 months. Seems like BS to me but thanks for confirming.
    That is B.S. Eternabond will last years, unless they did not put it on properly, which is pretty hard to do. I had some on, and was still going strong when I sold my trailer after 5 years. Part of my emergency kit has a roll of Eternabond.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 02-01-2023 at 10:46 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lan4555 View Post
    “According to the shop looking to profit 1000s?”

Yeah No, eternabond is quite permanent
    Even if you had to retouch in 4-5 years it would take you just a few minutes and cost a few bucks
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I encountered a similar situation several years ago. A tree branch fell about 50 feet onto the edge of my roof and damaged the roofing material. I had someone who specialized in RV roofing look at it. He recommended and installed a piece of Eternabond as a permanent repair. I did keep a close eye on the area, but it never needed any additional repair or replacement and never caused any problems.

After that incident I, like many others, have added a roll of Eternabond to my emergency kit. If I had a similar issue, I'd use Eternabond again (this time do it myself), and call it good-to-go.
    Don and Linda along with Trixie and Chase the Camping Dogs
    Jacksonville, Florida

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax Crewcab LTZ
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Eternabond, I wouldn't say it's temporary unless I was in the business of selling you a new roof....

Our 311 got scraped on the roof by a low hanging branch at a campground. It didn't penatrate the material, but scraped it pretty good. I cleaned and covered the area with 6" Eternabond, no worries. When I sold the 311, the buyer had no concerns about it and I did make sure to walk up on the roof with him to show the repair.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with others on Eternabond. That stuff will last years if the surface was cleaned well before application. You can also apply adhesive caulking around the edges of the Eternabond which will add additional protection for the edges and keep it secure that much longer.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast