User Tag List

Thread: Route to AZ

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Route to AZ

Looking for any tips and/or insights for the best way to go from KC to Apache Junction. From the looks of it we could stick on I35 (coming down from Mnpls/St.P) all the way to Oklahoma City then west on I40 to Holbrook, 77 to Show Low and on to Globe down 60. I was told the Show Low-Globe hwy is a very scenic one to take and don't miss it so I'm trying to fit it in.
    OR....
    Could angle southwest after Wichita along 400/54 until it meets up with I40.
    I figure Kansas and Oklahoma are similar to the Canadian prairies where there's not a heck of a lot of scenery to take in, just hammer down and get through it so maybe sticking to the interstates is faster?
    I don't know. Never been further south into the USA by RV than Rapid City SD.
    Which way would you go?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you coming down? The Show Low to Globe run is pretty but can be closed when there's snow in higher elevations.

The diagonal run across Kansas and the OK and TX panhandles is a lot of two lane highway with oncoming traffic that runs you right through small towns. It's a more quaint drive. I prefer the interstates myself even though it's longer as the crow flies. Easier to find truck stops with large fuel islands, and no oncoming traffic or small town traffic.

If not towing though, I'd do the Kansas 400/54.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    When are you coming down? The Show Low to Globe run is pretty but can be closed when there's snow in higher elevations.
    Approx Feb 15-20th
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Approx Feb 15-20th
    OK, keep an eye on the weather. It can be surprising how fast the snow can pile up, and some of those roads are steep. If it's snowing, stay on 40 and shoot south from Flag on 17.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    OK, keep an eye on the weather. It can be surprising how fast the snow can pile up, and some of those roads are steep. If it's snowing, stay on 40 and shoot south from Flag on 17.
    I can always do the Globe-Show low in April on the way home. It's not a "must do" in February
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approx Feb 15-20th
    If you are traveling in the Winter, I would suggest you get as far south as quick as you can. Anything north can be closed due to storms. Even south is no guarantee you will miss the storms, but your chances are much better.

We traveled from FL to AZ in Jan/Feb 2020 and only hit moderately high winds in New Mexico, otherwise, it was dry roads all along our route -- I-10 straight through to Austin TX, then on to AZ.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can always do the Globe-Show low in April on the way home. It's not a "must do" in February
    I have a friend who lives in Show Low, AZ (I presume you are talking about AZ) and he said this has been one of the snowiest winters he's seen. He is very happy he has a Four Wheel drive truck.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approx Feb 15-20th
    If you're not on a time-line, and/or extra mileage doesn't make you bat an eye, I would say to drop straight down through Missouri/Indiana/Illinois into Oklahoma to take I40, then 30, 20, & 10 to put you into Texas (normally a lot warmer) up through the southern part of New Mexico then into Arizona.
    We winter in Mesa and take this route from Michigan that is 7 nights, 8 days. We average about 300mpd. and the nice thing is, by the time we get to southern Illinois/Missouri we are at RV parks with full hookups the rest of the trip!
    Don't get me wrong, we have been in Texas and have used our heated hose for an overnighter! But it beats Michigan in the winter ��
    Gary & Sheryl 45 yrs tent campers
    2016 Jaco TT (sold) was luxury compared to tent!
    2017 Reflection 29RS (2020 purchase) "like new" <2k miles
    2020 F250 SRW CC 7.3 & love it! Demco Autoslide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you are traveling in the Winter, I would suggest you get as far south as quick as you can. Anything north can be closed due to storms.
    Are you considering I40 as 'north'? And could be closed due to snow?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997