Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gasoline Fuel Transfer Tank

We came off the full timing road, bought a house but still want to take long distance trips. I down sized truck and camper. My truck is a 2019 Chevy Silverado XLT gasoline short bed with a with a 26 gallon onboard tank. No chance of replacing the onboard gas tank with a larger tank so I want to haul a 25 gallon plus gas tank in the bed of the truck. Anyone out there that does this? I'm looking at a TSC portable 25 gallon Gas and Go polyethylene DOT approved portable tank. I'm looking at a portable tank so I can remove the tank when I don't need it but if there's a better idea and tank someone recommends I would consider it. I think sense this tank is DOT approved means it can be portable and using common sense I don't have to worry, to much, about sparks setting everything on fire. Any cautions you have on all this I will read and heed! Thanks for your time and input.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campingfeen View Post
    We came off the full timing road, bought a house but still want to take long distance trips. I down sized truck and camper. My truck is a 2019 Chevy Silverado XLT gasoline short bed with a with a 26 gallon onboard tank. No chance of replacing the onboard gas tank with a larger tank so I want to haul a 25 gallon plus gas tank in the bed of the truck. Anyone out there that does this? I'm looking at a TSC portable 25 gallon Gas and Go polyethylene DOT approved portable tank. I'm looking at a portable tank so I can remove the tank when I don't need it but if there's a better idea and tank someone recommends I would consider it. I think sense this tank is DOT approved means it can be portable and using common sense I don't have to worry, to much, about sparks setting everything on fire. Any cautions you have on all this I will read and heed! Thanks for your time and input.
    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want that much fuel in the bed of my truck.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you have it well secured, and protected, I don't see a problem with it. You won't be moving it much when it's full, so you need to be aware it will have to be filled in situ. I think the main thing is don't cheap out, you need a quality tank, not some cheap-o tank that leaks the first time you look at it cross-eyed. I prefer aluminum, but that's just me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t overlook the 150+ pounds of payload the full tank uses.

Filling will be awkward unless you plumb it into the vehicle tank, in which case you lose DOT approval. The tank won’t gravity feed or fully siphon over the bed rail because the bottom of the tank will be below the fuel filler opening.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 02-01-2023 at 03:21 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Don’t overlook the 150+ pounds of payload the full tank uses.

Filling will be awkward unless you plumb it into the vehicle tank, in which case you lose DOT approval. The tank won’t gravity feed or fully siphon over the bed rail because the bottom of the tank will be below the fuel filler opening.
    This was my thought too. So, not sure how you get to use the full capacity.

A friend has a 45 gallon aluminum aux tank for his gasser. He put a pump on it and a hose with a shut off valve. He pumps from the tank as rest areas, etc. Seems a bit sketchy to me but he is comfortable with it. When you consider they make transfer tanks for gas that go in truck beds I guess he is OK.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods