User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does make a bit more sense, but I'm a real noob when it comes to the solar and lithium battery scene.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...some great advice. I, too, think the BMS has put the battery to sleep (at least that is what I am hoping). I am going to try to wake it up as suggested. It sounds like I need to replace the stock converter with a lithium converter. Do you agree and any suggestions as to brand? I will report back after I try the wake up procedure. Thank you all for the solid feedback!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...hooked the charger and my Ford F-150 up to the battery. Lo and behold, the charger is now working. Readings, after 50 minutes of charging,, are: 14.7V, and 2.6Ah (started at 0.00). I cannot unhook the Ford as the charger shuts down when I do. More to follow...
    Last edited by TREVTRAVELER; 02-04-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TREVTRAVELER View Post
    Ok...some great advice. I, too, think the BMS has put the battery to sleep (at least that is what I am hoping). I am going to try to wake it up as suggested. It sounds like I need to replace the stock converter with a lithium converter. Do you agree and any suggestions as to brand? I will report back after I try the wake up procedure. Thank you all for the solid feedback!
    First, glad you woke the battery up!
    Lots of good brands out there. Until I install my inverter/charger I am using a Progressive Dynamics Deck mount 9160alv for lifepo4 about 300 bucks.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    First, glad you woke the battery up!
    Lots of good brands out there. Until I install my inverter/charger I am using a Progressive Dynamics Deck mount 9160alv for lifepo4 about 300 bucks.
    Thanks Red Apple and to all of you who helped me through this. I have now got the problem solved and don't anticipate any more trouble. It has been a good learning experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comments about WFCO converter not charging LiFePo4 batteries properly are true if the unit supports only FLA batteries. At some point GD started using converters that are switch-selectable between FLA and Lithium, so you may want to check yours, and optionally replace it if it's FLA only. Good luck!
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biery-Bullock View Post
    Comments about WFCO converter not charging LiFePo4 batteries properly are true if the unit supports only FLA batteries. At some point GD started using converters that are switch-selectable between FLA and Lithium, so you may want to check yours, and optionally replace it if it's FLA only. Good luck!
    Thanks for the heads up on the converter. I believe my converter was undercharging, so a Progressive Dynamics converter should fix that!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that at some point, Grand Design started installing Lithium Capable Converters, however, Grand Design installed "Auto Sensing" Converters that are capable of Auto Sensing whether you have a Lead Acid battery or a Lithium battery. Unfortunately, there have been problems with the Auto Sensing feature both sensing the Lithium battery and staying in "Lithium Mode" once a Lithium battery has been detected. I do not believe that there is a physical switch on the Converters that will let you permanently switch the Converter to "Lithium Mode".

Note: if you have a factory installed Solar system, there is a physical switch on the Solar Charge Controller that will let you switch to Lithium batteries.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I agree that at some point, Grand Design started installing Lithium Capable Converters, however, Grand Design installed "Auto Sensing" Converters that are capable of Auto Sensing whether you have a Lead Acid battery or a Lithium battery.
    The auto-sensing may be true for you Solitude owners, but the WFCO WF-8735LiS used in the Imagine XLS (or at least in the 21 BHE model we have) has a switch. And did I mention we don't have auto-leveling either!
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The auto-sensing may be true for you Solitude owners, but the WFCO WF-8735LiS used in the Imagine XLS (or at least in the 21 BHE model we have) has a switch. And did I mention we don't have auto-leveling either!
    That is good to hear.

Is your Converter inside the Power Distribution Center?

Maybe the Auto Sensing Converters are only on the Non-Integrated Converters that are typically hidden behind a wall somewhere.

PS: sorry about your auto leveling situation !!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast