User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking seal in hydraulic leveling leg

During our last outing, we noticed hydraulic fluid on the top of one of the landing gear pads on our 2017 Momentum. The dealer is saying that its a leaking seal. They are also stating that the the parts required are no longer available and we need a whole new landing gear for a cost of $897 plus labor of $447. I cant believe that 1) seals arent't fairly common and somewhat universal and 2)the only solution is a complete replacement. This has us wondering when to expect the other 5 to need a similar repair.

Has anyone else been through this? if so, how did you resolve your issue?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    During our last outing, we noticed hydraulic fluid on the top of one of the landing gear pads on our 2017 Momentum. The dealer is saying that its a leaking seal. They are also stating that the the parts required are no longer available and we need a whole new landing gear for a cost of $897 plus labor of $447. I cant believe that 1) seals arent't fairly common and somewhat universal and 2)the only solution is a complete replacement. This has us wondering when to expect the other 5 to need a similar repair.

Any good hydraulic shop should be able to replace the seal.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule #1 , don't believe a dealer.

Rules 2 & 3, see Rule #1 .

Understand that dealer service "fix" very little. What they do is swap out assemblies. They're charging you full retail plus markup on the assembly and frankly, a laughable amount of labor and fluid for what amounts to under an hour job start to finish.

First place I'd start is GD CS and give them your VIN and ask for the P/N of the jack. Then call Lippert to see if the rebuild kit is still available, P/N, and how to get it. You will then either need to DIY or find a local mechanic the works on hydraulic systems. You're actually better served NOT letting a dealer service attempt rebuild. You have no indication of where you are located, but there are some capable, independent RV repair shops who could do a rebuild if you could get an appointment with one.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a FWIW, I, too, found oil on the landing pad and assumed I had a leaky seal. After some in depth investigation, I found the hydraulic line itself was the culprit. The outside coating had started to craze and the fluid was leaking though the barely visible cracks in the hose. I removed said hose, took it to the local hydraulic shop, and they made me a new hose. Cost was about $60 and the result was a dry hydraulic cylinder. So don't assume the seal is leaking, do some investigating first. And if it's the seal, pull the cylinder and take it to a competent hydraulic shop and have it rebuilt.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good idea to spray down and wipe the chrome cylinder with a good quality silicone spray. Then cycle the cylinders to keep the seals lubed. Dry and dirty cylinders can goof up the interior O rings. I had a friend just experience this - he had a leak, after he cleaned the cylinder and relocated sites the leak disappeared. His dealer also said he'd have to replace the jack and he couldn't find anyone who want deal with rebuilding it.

I had a leak once in one of the capped off unused ports. A dealer said he would have to replace the jack. A hydraulic shop sold me a new cap with an O-ring for less than $2.

And a bill for over $400 for labor seems a bit unreasonable. It should take much more than an hour to remove and replace cylinder.

I think if you live in farming community than the odds of finding someone to repair a hydraulic cylinder is much higher.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post

Back last March I had a leaking landing gear replaced under warranty. $642.95 for the cylinder, $258 for labor (2 hrs.). I called around to different hydraulic shops in Reno, none of them wanted to touch it. Lippert does not sell repair parts any more.
    The work was NOT done by a dealer, but by a mom & pop rv repair facility.

The old cylinder is leaning up in my garage in case I ever need parts
    Last edited by Gronk1; 02-03-2023 at 11:32 AM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a farming area and have had several rebuilds done locally. Never for the leveling system, but the cylinders used on tractors and backhoes are pretty similar. It's usually about 100 bucks to do a cylinder rebuild. That does assume you're handing the guy a cylinder, not an assembly (or an RV) and expecting him to remove it. I'm shocked you couldn't find a shop that would do it, there's nothing special about the cylinder Lippert uses (AFAIK, but my local shop didn't bat an eye when I brought it in and it didn't take any longer than usual, IIRC, it was ready the next day).

At 650 for the cylinder, seems that finding a repair shop would be worth it, I'd be shocked if it was over 200 for the seals and labor.
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F