User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 volt questions

1. Until this morning, every time I looked at the percent of charge it was near 100%. This morning, though, it was less, and was dropping during the day. When the sun came out around noon the charge started going back up. As soon as the sun set, though, it started heading back down. Currently (7:30 p.m.) it is at 73.3%. We are plugged into shore power, and various 120 V items are working, so I would think that I'm getting shore power. So why aren't the batteries (I have two Li batteries) charging? Isn't there a converter in here somewhere that is supposed to charge them? Where might it be hidden?

2. The cabinet under the sink is very dark, and it would be nice to have some light under there. Is there a source of electricity (preferably 12 volt) that I can easily tap into?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your battery disconnect switch and then the breaker panel first for a tripped breaker. Your converter is likely behind the breaker panel and I think you get to it through the hutch on your trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say "Until this morning", but how long are we actually talking about? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month... Yes, you have a converter that will charge your batteries when plugged into shore power. First thing to do is to make sure your Battery Disconnect Switch has not been accidentally turned to "OFF". It happens sometimes. After that, check converter supply circuit breakers, and then the converter itself.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    1. Until this morning, every time I looked at the percent of charge it was near 100%. This morning, though, it was less, and was dropping during the day. When the sun came out around noon the charge started going back up. As soon as the sun set, though, it started heading back down. Currently (7:30 p.m.) it is at 73.3%. We are plugged into shore power, and various 120 V items are working, so I would think that I'm getting shore power. So why aren't the batteries (I have two Li batteries) charging? Isn't there a converter in here somewhere that is supposed to charge them? Where might it be hidden?

2. The cabinet under the sink is very dark, and it would be nice to have some light under there. Is there a source of electricity (preferably 12 volt) that I can easily tap into?
    I will try to answer #2 first:
    Typically your converter is located behind the false wall in your cargo bay near the water control panel. I'm curious if you changed out your converter to one that can charge lithium batteries at a higher voltage? most stock converters will charge them but only around 75% SOC. Also the cold will have some effect on the SOC. If that is the case, it may be the answer to question #1 .
    I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I have some things to check in the morning. To answer some of the questions above, we got the trailer Monday afternoon. We spent Monday night in it on the dealer's parking lot. Tuesday they fixed a few things, and we spent Tuesday night in a commercial campground a couple of blocks away. Wednesday we came home. Today (Thursday) is when I noticed the problem.

Tomorrow I'll go looking for the converter.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I have some things to check in the morning. To answer some of the questions above, we got the trailer Monday afternoon. We spent Monday night in it on the dealer's parking lot. Tuesday they fixed a few things, and we spent Tuesday night in a commercial campground a couple of blocks away. Wednesday we came home. Today (Thursday) is when I noticed the problem.

Tomorrow I'll go looking for the converter.
    We bought our then new trailer 6 years ago and I'm still learning. The only way to learn stuff is to research, ask questions on the forum, and jump in and start exploring your trailer. YouTube is a great resource as well. What helps us learn more is your response to your actual fix so keep us posted.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    I will try to answer #2 first:
    Typically your converter is located behind the false wall in your cargo bay near the water control panel. I'm curious if you changed out your converter to one that can charge lithium batteries at a higher voltage? most stock converters will charge them but only around 75% SOC. Also the cold will have some effect on the SOC. If that is the case, it may be the answer to question #1 .
    I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else will chime in.
    I agree with SilentService's answer above.

When you are plugged into Shore power, your Converter should keep your batteries at 100% as well as provide all the power you need for your 12v lights and accessories.

Some newer coaches have an "auto sensing" Converter which will sense that you have Lithium batteries. However, the WFCO Converter that Grand Design uses has had problems with the "Auto Sensing" part and often reverts back into "Lead Acid" mode which may explain your 75% SOC (State of Charge).

I am assuming from your description that you also have a Solar system installed. Having Solar would explain why your batteries charged up to 100% later in the day. Your Converter is only able to maintain a 75% SOC and your Solar system is able to properly charge (top off) your batteries because your Solar Charge Controller is properly set for Lithium batteries.

If your Converter is not the auto sensing type, or you continue to have problems keeping it set to Lithium mode, I would recommend replacing it with a Converter from Progressive Dynamics, probably with one capable of charging at around 90 amps (OEM Conveters are usually 35 to 55 amps). This will allow you to charge your batteries almost twice as fast as the OEM (WFCO) Converter.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 02-02-2023 at 10:12 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regard to your dark/missing under cabinet lighting, you have two options, install 12v lights and find a power source, or you can find some battery operated lights that you could install. Some of the battery powered lights even have motion sensors for whenever you are working on the countertop.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 volt questions

Hi David,

We have the same rig.

A couple of things for you to check.
    1. Make sure the battery disconnect is turned off meaning it won’t s connected to the system and the converter can charge when plugged in.
    2. Make sure you are getting voltage from shore power into your rig with a digital multimeter.
    3. Check the ac circuit breaker for the converter to make sure it’s not tripped.
    4. Your converter and a behind the grill for the little hutch. It takes about 8 screws and it’s there (picture attached). There are two fuses in the converter, make sure they are not blown.
    5. Now that you have access to the converter measure the output voltage. In bulk charge mode for lead acid you should get approximately 13.6..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5368.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	44756

I hope this helps.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory battery LED/percent of charge is just a volt meter. It doesn't work well with standard batteries, and is useless with lithium. A standard LA battery is fully charged at 12.8 volts. A lithium is fully charged at 14.5 volts. Your factory percent gauge will show 100% at 12.8 volts..... That is close to empty with a lithium battery. You need a lithium convertor, to properly charge your battery and a shunt style battery monitor to accuratly display it's state of charge.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast