User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Shower Skylight leaking

I have a skylight over the shower that has a water leak (I believe) due to the factory over tightening on screw in the corner. When I removed the sealant I can see cracked plastic. I thought I saw a post about a technical service bulletin about this "known" issue from GD (I can't seem to find it). Can someone assist me in finding the TSB? My dealer can't seem to locate it. Thanks in advance! J
    2023 RAM 2500, 2021 Transcend 240ML

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of threads about skylights on the forum, but I don't find any mentions of a TSB (doesn't mean it doesn't exist). You might give GD customer service a call next week and ask them. Be sure and have your VIN handy.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this isn't something you get covered under warranty or TSB and you want to patch the crack rather than replace the skylight, get yourself a tube of Marine Goop. Spread a thin layer over the crack and I promise it will seal it up nicely. Clean the area first with isopropyl alcohol. That stuff won't come off and will last forever. I use it to repair things like those 7 gallon blue water jugs that we use for boat-in fishing camping trips and end up punctured one way or another. Lasts for years.

Good luck!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design considers the skylight a "consumable" if that gives any indication on quality. A GD tech told me that if we are full-time and not under sun cover the majority of the time, we should plan on replacing every 1-2 years. Our first one lasted 16 months. The sun and temperature changes are rough on these plastic domes.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Grand Design considers the skylight a "consumable" if that gives any indication on quality. A GD tech told me that if we are full-time and not under sun cover the majority of the time, we should plan on replacing every 1-2 years. Our first one lasted 16 months. The sun and temperature changes are rough on these plastic domes.
    The shower skylight on our Reflecion 337 was still intact when we sold the RV after 4-1/2 years (and the buyer hasn't mentioned replacing it since). Our Solitude is now three years old and the skylight is fine.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are a couple of threads about skylights on the forum, but I don't find any mentions of a TSB (doesn't mean it doesn't exist). You might give GD customer service a call next week and ask them. Be sure and have your VIN handy.

Rob
    Thanks, Rob. My apologies I think I may have seen the post on the GC website in the technical forum. I call GD. Thanks again.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The skylight in our last trailer, lasted over 10 years with no issues. However I do think the crank up covers over the OEM fans, not Maxx-Air and the like, are pretty fragile. I had to replace both of ours in that trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks the quick replies! Very helpful.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shower skylight on our Reflecion 337 was still intact when we sold the RV after 4-1/2 years (and the buyer hasn't mentioned replacing it since). Our Solitude is now three years old and the skylight is fine.

Rob
    I wonder if these newer builds are using a different brand or newer type. When ours failed, it wasn't cracked but was actually disintegrating on the inner layer and starting to do the same thing on the outer layer. GD replaced it at no cost while in Middlebury. Learned A LOT from those techs.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Same here - our Reflection is 4+ years old (stored uncovered when not traveling) and the skylight cover is doing fine.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast