User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22MLE Solar Upgrade

We have a 2022 22MLE with the stock Furrion panel / MPPT controller. We replaced the lead acid batteries with a single 206 AH SOK LiFePO4 battery in the passthrough (we may add a second battery in parallel) and for now this is enough energy storage for a few days of off-grid use but the solar charging is lacking and we're looking at upgrading the 165W panel and controller.

Most of all the solar upgrades seem to use multiple 100W or 200W panels in various locations on the roof for 600-800 W. While this works, I'm considering two LONGi 450 W panels in the front roof area (after removing the existing 165W Furrion panel and Wineguard TV antenna) and a Victron 150/85 controller instead. These panels are LARGE at 41" wide by 82" long and will occupy the majority of the space in front of the AC unit, leaving the area behind uncluttered and fewer holes in the roof. Yes, this is a lot of solar for the storage capacity but my hope is that this will allow the panels to keep up with the load in less than ideal conditions.

Has anyone considered or done this?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you an idea with a smaller rig, we put 8X200w panels on top of our 2600RB. Also have a Victron 3000W inverter plus solar controller and 5x 105AH Lion Energy LiFeP04 batteries (525AH. Plenty of power (microwave does suck up a lot of power though) and we could go for several days of clouds if we watch our usage.

With our setup, my main concern was being able to move around on the roof to check sealants, clean, etc. If you have enough room to move between the panels, it should be fine.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turkington View Post
    We have a 2022 22MLE with the stock Furrion panel / MPPT controller. We replaced the lead acid batteries with a single 206 AH SOK LiFePO4 battery in the passthrough (we may add a second battery in parallel) and for now this is enough energy storage for a few days of off-grid use but the solar charging is lacking and we're looking at upgrading the 165W panel and controller.

Most of all the solar upgrades seem to use multiple 100W or 200W panels in various locations on the roof for 600-800 W. While this works, I'm considering two LONGi 450 W panels in the front roof area (after removing the existing 165W Furrion panel and Wineguard TV antenna) and a Victron 150/85 controller instead. These panels are LARGE at 41" wide by 82" long and will occupy the majority of the space in front of the AC unit, leaving the area behind uncluttered and fewer holes in the roof. Yes, this is a lot of solar for the storage capacity but my hope is that this will allow the panels to keep up with the load in less than ideal conditions.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    Very good choice.

I have long advocated for use of the higher wattage "residential" panels instead of the 100-200 Watt panels that are commonly used on RV roofs.

The only caveat is to ensure the panels will fit on your roof including any space required for the mounting brackets.

I have 4 Canadian Solar residential panels on my roof and I am very, very, pleased with them. I mounted each panel using six "Z" brackets screwed directly into the roof. In my case this required me to drill an extra hole in the middle of the long rails in each panel, something I suggest you do very carefully and with a piece of wood behind the metal. Before I mounted the panels, I placed a strip of Eternabond where each "Z" bracket was going to sit for added protection of the roofing material.

If your panels will fit I highly recommend you proceed with your plan.

PS: I also highly recommend using the Victron Solar Charge Controller.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi More Tired and David!

I'm planning to use a Victron 12/24v 150/100 MPPT controller ($15 more than the minimum spec 150/85 that I need) to go along with the Victron shunt and Smart Charger (replaced the WFCO that was a lame duck) that are already installed. Like you I am planning to add extra "Z" brackets to ensure these 51 lbs panels are properly supported. My hope is that if I have ~900W of full sun capacity I may get 200-300W in cloud/shade that will keep up with our energy demands... The 12V fridge is awesome but a bit power hungry and we would prefer to not sun a generator each day.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 3-200 watt Newapower solar, 150 Victron Solar controller, Victron 3000 inverter / charger electrifying all 110 outlets with 3- Battleborn LI at 300 total usable watts.

We do a lot of boondocking and electricity has never limited us. We cheat with a Westinghouse 4500 dual fuel generator for air conditioning or 4 days of no solar.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turkington View Post

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    One thing to consider is that having both panels on one end of the coach may be an issue if that end doesn't get much sun at a campsite.
    When I did mine, i distributed 13, 120 watt panels and the factory 300 watt across the entire roof avoiding things like ACs, Sat. dish, vent covers, etc that will always cast a shadow. since I never know what the shade conditions will be from one campsite to the next, this ensures that I will always have some panels producing.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member RazorbackRollin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??? Does anyone know the rafter spacing on the 2021 22mle??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackRollin View Post
    ??? Does anyone know the rafter spacing on the 2021 22mle??
    I'm pretty sure its 24". You can easily find/feel them by walking on the roof. At least I can with my nice rounded figure.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE