User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, I tried the stove trick. I had the propane on, turned on a burner, and every two minutes I tried lighting it. After 10 minutes I gave up. Then someone suggested that I turn the selector to midway between the two positions with only the small tank attached. If propane was getting through the regulator I should be able to smell it from the other hose. Nothing.

Tomorrow I'll make some phone calls before I head out to get propane and groceries. I suspect that the grocery stop may well cost more than the propane stop, even with filling two 30# bottles.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran out of propane once. The tank not in use was empty when the regulator switched over. It was empty because of a leak in the hose from the tank to the regulator. Local hardware store had the exact hose I needed.

My suggestion would be to troubleshoot the flow of gas. I would verify flow into the regulator. And out of the regulator. If your not comfortable and experienced with gas pipe plumbing, connection sealing and leak testing, this may be best left to a technician.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed!

Several people suggested that the regulator might be at fault. I first called the dealer and was told that I would have to bring the trailer in to them (200+ miles each way) for them to replace it. The $200 of diesel would be on me, as would be the cost of staying at a campground for the night if they couldn't take care of it as soon as we arrived. I then called GD customer service. They said they would be willing to send me a new regulator. I then asked if this was a pretty standard part (it is) and would a propane store have one (they probably will). When I said that we were headed to town to get propane and would ask, they said that if I bought one I should email them a copy of the receipt and they would reimburse me. We gathered up a cooler, the grocery list, and headed for town (propane tanks were already in the truck). Propane store was the first stop. It took us longer to find the door than to get the tanks filled and back in the truck. I asked about a regulator and showed them a picture of what I had. "Oh, you got the junk one!" A new one was less than $50. It is now on and we again have working propane.

This regulator will switch tanks, but doesn't have the little green and red gauge. No big deal. At the suggestion of several I have only one tank turned on. When we run out of propane I'll turn the other tank on and switch the feed. Then we can head down to the friendly propane store and get more propane.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Fixed!

Several people suggested that the regulator might be at fault. I first called the dealer and was told that I would have to bring the trailer in to them (200+ miles each way) for them to replace it. The $200 of diesel would be on me, as would be the cost of staying at a campground for the night if they couldn't take care of it as soon as we arrived. I then called GD customer service. They said they would be willing to send me a new regulator. I then asked if this was a pretty standard part (it is) and would a propane store have one (they probably will). When I said that we were headed to town to get propane and would ask, they said that if I bought one I should email them a copy of the receipt and they would reimburse me. We gathered up a cooler, the grocery list, and headed for town (propane tanks were already in the truck). Propane store was the first stop. It took us longer to find the door than to get the tanks filled and back in the truck. I asked about a regulator and showed them a picture of what I had. "Oh, you got the junk one!" A new one was less than $50. It is now on and we again have working propane.

This regulator will switch tanks, but doesn't have the little green and red gauge. No big deal. At the suggestion of several I have only one tank turned on. When we run out of propane I'll turn the other tank on and switch the feed. Then we can head down to the friendly propane store and get more propane.
    If it's an auto-switching regulator, both tanks should be open with the level pointing to only one of them (the one you want to use first). When the regulator switches over (without you having to do anything), you switch the lever, close the valve on the empty tank, and take it to get it filled.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good outcome. The new regulator, since it's a auto-switch should have some way to show which tank is being drawn from, and some indication of full and empty, usually a red/green face. Otherwise you'd have no way to know either of the above. I turn both my tanks on and check the valve periodically to see whether I need to fill a tank. Waking up in a cold trailer at night, and have to make my way out to turn the other tank on is not for me, not when I have a device that will do it for me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Fixed!
    Thanks for the update. Glad things worked out for you.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got this solved!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a plug for the Lippert Propane Tank Sensor that report to the Compass Connect App. Now that you have a good regulator, you can also know at a glance how full your tanks are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all follow what Rob mentioned.

The only addition I would add is that there is a safety check valve in the stem of the ACME valve going to each tank.
    Just for the sake of being thorough turn both tanks off, disconnect the hoses from both tanks.
    Wait 5 minutes (probably overkill) then reattach both tanks prior to opening both tanks with the regulator switch pointing to the full(er) tank. Then try to purge the lines by igniting a stove burner.

If you have a new #15 your should get something or the regulator is faulty.

I had a similar issue and replaced the regulator with an MB Sturgis made here at home by a reputable company.

I now see I am late to this thread- glad your good to go!
    Last edited by ExNihilo; 02-11-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmitch View Post
    Just a plug for the Lippert Propane Tank Sensor that report to the Compass Connect App. Now that you have a good regulator, you can also know at a glance how full your tanks are.
    I'm curious...I open one tank at a time and switch to the other once the first tank is empty. Then I fill the empty tank and go back and forth. If I had one sensor and moved it between tanks, would that be a hassle to get it to sync and recalibrate each time?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast