User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With dual tanks you need two(2) sensors unless you want to do the recalabration each time you refill. So to answer your question directly, yes it would be a hassle. The purpose of the sensors is to make it easy to know how full each tank is.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmitch View Post
    With dual tanks you need two(2) sensors unless you want to do the recalabration each time you refill. So to answer your question directly, yes it would be a hassle. The purpose of the sensors is to make it easy to know how full each tank is.
    Got it, thanks.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Fixed!

Several people suggested that the regulator might be at fault. I first called the dealer and was told that I would have to bring the trailer in to them (200+ miles each way) for them to replace it. The $200 of diesel would be on me, as would be the cost of staying at a campground for the night if they couldn't take care of it as soon as we arrived. I then called GD customer service. They said they would be willing to send me a new regulator. I then asked if this was a pretty standard part (it is) and would a propane store have one (they probably will). When I said that we were headed to town to get propane and would ask, they said that if I bought one I should email them a copy of the receipt and they would reimburse me. We gathered up a cooler, the grocery list, and headed for town (propane tanks were already in the truck). Propane store was the first stop. It took us longer to find the door than to get the tanks filled and back in the truck. I asked about a regulator and showed them a picture of what I had. "Oh, you got the junk one!" A new one was less than $50. It is now on and we again have working propane.

This regulator will switch tanks, but doesn't have the little green and red gauge. No big deal. At the suggestion of several I have only one tank turned on. When we run out of propane I'll turn the other tank on and switch the feed. Then we can head down to the friendly propane store and get more propane.
    I’m glad to read you got it figured out, but I wanted to add this anyhow.
    I’ve learned, from my late hubby, that you can also get a “bubble” (for want of a better word right now) if, after you’ve reattached your tank(s) after filling, if you turn them on too quickly. You should always connect the tank(s), then slowly turn on your propane. More than once I’ve just cranked ‘em and have had to turn them back off and then sit and wait before turning back on…sigh!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I'm curious...I open one tank at a time and switch to the other once the first tank is empty. Then I fill the empty tank and go back and forth. If I had one sensor and moved it between tanks, would that be a hassle to get it to sync and recalibrate each time?
    Based on a lot of positive reviews, I bought the Mopeka propane tank level system(from Amazon I think). Came with 2 sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of each tank, plus a remote display that I mounted in my control cabinet. Followed the directions to connect display to the sensors, no problem. I have used this system through the winter and am impressed....it just works. The original factory regulator switches tanks once the first one is empty. I do remove the sensor from the tank and stick it in my pocket when I go to refill. I find myself checking propane levels every time I'm in the cabinet checking other tank levels. This is one of the few RV aftermarket products that actually works better than I expected!
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Well, when we first saw the tanks and gauge the gauge was about half red and half green. Later on it was all green. Everything worked fine until sometime during the night when we ran completely out of propane. Tomorrow we'll go down to Carlsbad and get both tanks filled.

We are definitely out of propane in the two 30# tanks. They are in the truck, ready for the trip to town. As I said, we stopped at Lowe's and bought a 15# tank to get us by tonight. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anything out of it. Yes, I did weigh it, too, and it is full.

One of the neighbors had a similar problem when he bought his Montana 10 years ago. He was told then that new propane tanks often have a small amount of oil in them, which then gets into the regulator, ruining it. Tomorrow I'll call the dealership and see what they say. I'm hoping that they will approve having the local mobile mechanic replace the regulator.

1). If you ran out of propane, you may need to reset the furnace by turning the thermostat to off for a minute or two. Then back to heat. Furnaces are typically equipped with a shutdown feature to prevent the system from trying to start over and over again without fuel.

2). Portable propane tank vale’s are designed to remain upright to ensure the safety valve will operate if necessary by venting gas vapor instead of liquid propane. If you lay it down during transport, liquid propane and potentially oil could get into the valve assembly.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason the propane might not flow is when you turn the valve on too quickly it thinks there is a leak and there is a built-in emergency valve that shuts off the flow. I had that happen to me once. To fix that you shut the valve off completely and then turn it on very slowly. That should correct it. Also, in cold temperatures the pressure in the tank gets lower so that it may not be high enough to light the furnace. It can still light the stove but you will see a smaller flame.

Ian
    Ian
    2015 Reflection 29RES
    2013 RAM 3500 HD long box SRW
    British Columbia, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MccNeo View Post
    1).
    2). Portable propane tank vale’s are designed to remain upright to ensure the safety valve will operate if necessary by venting gas vapor instead of liquid propane. If you lay it down during transport, liquid propane and potentially oil could get into the valve assembly.
    Good point, thanks for the tip...I haul mine upright and strapped down, but never really thought about getting liquid into the safety valve. Just looks logical. I have seen people hauling them laying down though.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MccNeo View Post
    1). If you ran out of propane, you may need to reset the furnace by turning the thermostat to off for a minute or two. Then back to heat. Furnaces are typically equipped with a shutdown feature to prevent the system from trying to start over and over again without fuel.

Milk crates are great for transporting propane tanks. Gives the base a wider footprint so less likely to fall over and a few more spots to use to strap them down.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Based on a lot of positive reviews, I bought the Mopeka propane tank level system(from Amazon I think). Came with 2 sensors that attach magnetically to the bottom of each tank, plus a remote display that I mounted in my control cabinet. Followed the directions to connect display to the sensors, no problem. I have used this system through the winter and am impressed....it just works. The original factory regulator switches tanks once the first one is empty. I do remove the sensor from the tank and stick it in my pocket when I go to refill. I find myself checking propane levels every time I'm in the cabinet checking other tank levels. This is one of the few RV aftermarket products that actually works better than I expected!
    I second the Mopeka sensors. They work great. You sound like one of the few that do remove the sensors when filling the tanks, as recommended by Mopeka.
    If you have every watched the vendors that deliver the Blue Rhino tanks at the stores those cylinders are laying on their side. The only time to worry about getting the valves screwed up is if they get overfilled. It is what is known at packing the cylinder.
    In response to other stuff I have been reading on here, I set my selector switch to which tank I want to use and then open that valve slowly. I then open the second valve slowly. With the Mopeka I can then see when the first cylinder gets low and needs refillled. Not being a full timer, I then shut off both valves, change the selector and then turn on the full valve slowly. It is an extra step but it insures that the selector has switched over and I have never had an issue doing it this way.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    I second the Mopeka sensors. They work great. You sound like one of the few that do remove the sensors when filling the tanks, as recommended by Mopeka.
    If you have every watched the vendors that deliver the Blue Rhino tanks at the stores those cylinders are laying on their side. The only time to worry about getting the valves screwed up is if they get overfilled. It is what is known at packing the cylinder.
    In response to other stuff I have been reading on here, I set my selector switch to which tank I want to use and then open that valve slowly. I then open the second valve slowly. With the Mopeka I can then see when the first cylinder gets low and needs refillled. Not being a full timer, I then shut off both valves, change the selector and then turn on the full valve slowly. It is an extra step but it insures that the selector has switched over and I have never had an issue doing it this way.
    Put me in the group that removes the Mopeka sensors when filling the tanks. Don’t want to lose one along the way. I do use the Halos and find the a good solution.

I also only have the regular pointing to one tank at a time. Just something I inherited along the way. I switch over when the tank reads 20%. This does give a little bit of backup.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123