User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What am I doing wrong?

Got up to use the necessary and thought it was a bit cooler than normal. Thermometer said 59* and furnace was set for 68* so I bumped it up to 70. Didn't come on. Hmm. Oh well, the alarm will go off soon enough and I'll see what's what then. After much head scratching I decided that we were completely out of propane. We have two 30-lb tanks and a regulator that is supposed to switch from one to the other automatically. There is also a gauge that has two wedges showing. As the propane is used from a tank the wedges are supposed to change from green to red, and when the first tank gets low enough, it switches to the other.

When we got to the dealership Monday afternoon we started the walk-thru at the propane tanks which were supposed to be full. I commented that the gauge was showing about half red and half green on one tank, and mostly red on the other one. A tech was immediately dispatched to fill the tanks. When we finished the walk-thru the gauge showed green for both tanks.

Yesterday morning I checked the propane. We were still on the first tank and it still showed green. Apparently the gauge isn't working properly, because we dug out the scales and found that both tanks are empty. Being Sunday I can't get them filled, so I bought a Blue Rhino 15-lb tank from Lowe's on the way home from church. Hooked it up, and still nothing. The scales verify that the tank is full.

The fireplace will provide enough heat for tonight, but it doesn't provide any heat for washing dishes. This morning we heated water in an electric pot, 1.5 liters at a time.

So what am I doing wrong? I'd sure like to have propane working again.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What weight were the tanks?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty-some pounds. The tare weight is stamped on them and they were very close to that. Actually, a bit under as I recall.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, those dial gauges that connect between the tank valve and the hose are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. They tell you two things: 1) if there is some propane in the tank... any amount, or 2) if the tank is completely empty. They are pressure driven and LP tanks have a fairly constant pressure until they are empty and there is not enough propane in them to vaporize. Next question: where do you have the lever on your auto-switching regulator set? It needs to point to one tank or the other - not in the middle. Pull out the booklet on the regulator and read up on its operation. My guess is that those pressure gauges mislead you and you need to make sure you understand how the auto-switching regulator works.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong besides relying on your dealer to do things right. As Rob mentioned those add-on gauges are pretty much useless. Weighing the tanks is the best way to know what you've got. And it sounds like your dealer scammed you bigtime. In many areas it's not an issue to get the tanks filled, but I assume you're wanting the dealer to take care of his "oversight". Take that scale with you and weigh them after they're filled so the dealer can see it. Not a good beginning for a dealer-customer relationship.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Twenty-some pounds. The tare weight is stamped on them and they were very close to that. Actually, a bit under as I recall.
    I don’t think you did or are doing anything wrong. Willing to bet the dealer didn’t fill the tanks. A full propane tank will weigh about 55 pounds.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when we first saw the tanks and gauge the gauge was about half red and half green. Later on it was all green. Everything worked fine until sometime during the night when we ran completely out of propane. Tomorrow we'll go down to Carlsbad and get both tanks filled.

We are definitely out of propane in the two 30# tanks. They are in the truck, ready for the trip to town. As I said, we stopped at Lowe's and bought a 15# tank to get us by tonight. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anything out of it. Yes, I did weigh it, too, and it is full.

One of the neighbors had a similar problem when he bought his Montana 10 years ago. He was told then that new propane tanks often have a small amount of oil in them, which then gets into the regulator, ruining it. Tomorrow I'll call the dealership and see what they say. I'm hoping that they will approve having the local mobile mechanic replace the regulator.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a recall on regulators not long ago. Might be worthwhile checking with Grand Design Customer Service with your VIN. Next, sometimes those filling the tanks struggle with venting properly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just filled one on you. After you get them filled and back in, leave one tanl closed and feed from one. Then, time to become intimate with your LP system and mix up soapy water and check all connections for leaks. You can use quite a bit of LP when running the furnace, water heater, fridge and stove on it, but two, 30# tanks in that short of time would be unusual.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An easy way to tell if there's anything left in the tank is to unhook the line and turn the valve on. If there's propane in the tank you'll know it. Hook it back up, make sure the selector is pointing to that tank, go inside and light a burner on the stove top. If you get a flame, turn it off and start the furnace. You should be good to go. If there wasn't any propane in the tank, you know how to fix that. Also, once the furnace locks out due to lack of flame (propane) you have to turn the temp down low enough (or just turn it to "off") so that it can reset. Then turn the temp back up (or switch it back "on") and it should run provided propane is now available to ignite the flame and there isn't something else going on.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll guess when you ran out of propane the gas lines became unpressurized and air got in. So now you have to purge the air.

With that tank you got from Lowes, try turning on one or more stove burners and hold a lighter next to them to see if the is air or gas coming out; and keep on on for a while; hopefully gas will flow and the burner should light. Then turn on all the burners to get a good gas flow. And turn on the water heater on gas too. If the stove lights turn it off and then run the furnace. And hope.

I get into this situation sometimes when the tanks switch over. And I get into this situation sometimes when I turn the valves off on the tanks when in storage and then go to use the gas.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast