Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have FMCA and Progressive.
    Between the 2, we should be good.
    I hope we will never need either one.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgebackbob View Post
    Thanks much. We will check that out. This is all I am looking for. Long time State Farm customer so will touch base with my equally long time agent later today.
    I’ve had Good Sam for years and have nothing but great service anytime I’ve had to call them…fingers crossed I didn’t just jinks myself!🤣

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC99RV View Post
    One thing you need to confirm is if your tow vehicle breaks down will they tow your trailer to a campsite or a safe place to store. When traveling with a friend a few years back he found out that his main insurance would not tow the trailer. Fortunately he had secondary coverage that did tow. We were about 50 miles from our campground. There might be a limit to how far they will tow it as well. Traveling out west it’s sometimes over 100 miles to a maintenance facility etc.
    Yes, that is why I chose coachnet...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Sam Roadside Is The WORST!

Quote Originally Posted by ridgebackbob View Post
    Anybody have any comments about the best/worst roadside assistance programs. Good Sam, AAA, other? Just starting to RV this spring and thinking it might be good insurance.

Thanks!
    Twice I had to try using the Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Both times they completely failed to assist in a meaningful way. The first time, my RAM which was under warranty died and I was about 25 miles from a RAM dealer. I called Good Sam's Roadside assistance and they would not take me to a RAM dealer where my RAM could be repaired under warranty. They pointed out that their service says they will take you to the nearest approved service center which was an RV dealer that could do nothing to repair my RAM. This clause is the way they rip you off. In this case it was my vehicle only problem.

The second time I broke down I was towing my travel trailer 10 miles outside Lubbock, TX. I gassed up and got bad gas and made it about a mile and the RAM died on a busy highway with the travel trailer attached. I had both vehicle and RV coverage with Good Sam Roadside but when I called them they said that since the travel trailer was not disabled, they could not tow it and only tow my truck. Let me repeat....... I'm towing my travel trailer and I am disabled on a dangerous busy highway. They will tow my truck because it is disabled but not my trailer which they would leave on the highway. Even though I had Vehicle and RV coverage. Oh, they would again not tow me to a RAM dealer but to an authorized RV service center. Fortunately I had AAA which immediately helped me. Don't buy Good Sam and Cancel if you have it.

Called Good Sam to complain and both time they just referred me to the Roadside Assistance people who pointed out that the fine print in their agreement required a disabled vehicle be towed to their authorized service center even though that center could not fix the problem. Also, even though my travel trailer would be left sitting on a busy highway and I had vehicle and RV insurance they are only required to send a single tow for a problem even if two are required. Buy AAA...........

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article I just read, Coach-Net bought out ----
    https://www.rvtravel.com/coach-net-b...nue-rvt-1091b/

Kinda seems like RV Dealerships are starting to act like the big 3 RV Manufacturers, buying up other entities to create their own monopoly?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I have Emergency Road Service on our truck for only $1.26 every 6 months with State Farm. It covers the truck and the trailer when being towed by the truck.

I’ve never used the service so I can’t vouch for level of service. But for the cost equal to a medium soda at 7-11 I took the coverage.

I do carry a Makita 1/2” electric impact gun https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT08Z...=2MI65ZW7ALVJM and a set of impact lug sockets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHK86WS/ in case. I also have an Andersen Rapid Jack https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Manu...dp/B004L6AAUE/

I would attempt to change a tire on the reflection but on my F-450 I’d leave that to a younger and stronger guy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Edward-Tools-...s%2C163&sr=8-3
    I use one of these pry bars and piece of 3/4" wood as a fulcrum to lift the tire onto the lugnuts.
    2019 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW
    Reese Goosebox 20-k

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Edward-Tools-...s%2C163&sr=8-3
    I use one of these pry bars and piece of 3/4" wood as a fulcrum to lift the tire onto the lugnuts.
    Great idea. This week I replaced the rear tires on my UTV. With those small tires I even needed a shovel and a 2x4 as a fulcrum to get them on the lug nuts.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carried AAA for years on our daily drivers. Used it a few times. Once when had to have a vehicle towed from home to dealership 60+ miles away. Asked the driver how much it would have cost us without coverage, he quoted over $400. So glad we had it. Switched to Great Sams when we purchased our first RV, never had to use it so can't comment on service. We now have State Farm insurance on all our vehicles, and RV, and they are all covered with them. Hopefully we won't have to use it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    From stories on various forums, it's obvious that these RA programs use low cost service providers. I doubt many reputable service providers are willing to work for what the RA companies reimburse.

A good business model might be a RA company that did not reimburse for service calls, but actually put the customer in touch with a good, reputable service provider. The customer would then reimburse the service provider.

Of course this would not be the same "insurance" plan that is the current RA model, and it would most assuredly cost the customer more, but at least when an RV'er found themselves in trouble on the side of the road, they would know they could reach out to someone who would provide fast, effective service.

I know if I find myself in a situation where I need help and in an area where I know nobody, I would be willing to pay for service if I could just know who to call!
    I totally agree with this. This May, I experienced a double blow out. I have the AAA RV plan. I was in a rural area of Virginia, called AAA. Waited about 3 hours for the technician that AAA sent to arrive, to be fair, the AAA call center told us there would be a long wait. When the service that AAA sent out got there, the technician told me that he could could only put the spare on for a single tire, and would not be able to put new tires on the rims of the blown tires. That said, he was local and did know some folks that could do that for me. He called three different tire places before he found someone with my tires in stock. Third guy showed up about 90 minutes later and put a new tire on the rim (I had the spare put on in place of the other).

All that to say, as dryfly said, the value was knowing who to call. I know I like the posts that include pictures, so posting one of my shredded tire here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2446.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	47259
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter who you pay for a road side assist plan, you are at the mercy of the local area service providers and will get help at the speed that they can muster depending on work loads and staffing. AAA, Good Sam, your insurance company.... they can not make it go any faster than the actual company doing the work can get there. It is totally random, if your in a good area with multiple service providers nearby, you will think "your company" killed it and is great. If your in an area with little to no service providers, you will blame and spread hate on your company of choice. It is a roll of the dice.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast