Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake noise after brake assembly replaced

Hello

I have a 2018 GD 2800bh and i've replaced all of the brake assembly all new from etrailer with the self adjust feature. One of them is making this noise. I've attached an icloud link. To me it seems like the magnet is touching the drum and making this noise. Any advice help would be appreciated. This is the only one that does it the other 3 went smoothly.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#020wK...FRtG3iOdEIRTXQ

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you find when you took it back apart?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing it’s brand new. It’s just my assumption that the magnet is touching the inside of the drum there are some dimples in the drum and I’m assuming that’s the cause of the noise but unsure. Again all others were straight forward install with no issues just this one is making that clicking noise. Could it be defective?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surface of the drum where the magnet rides is supposed to be machined smooth.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my drums look like this. (cant figure out how to upload a photo on here )

https://i.imgur.com/TODHD9C.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucilini View Post
    All of my drums look like this. (cant figure out how to upload a photo on here )

https://i.imgur.com/TODHD9C.jpg
    That’s how the should look. Magnets should ride quietly unless the studs aren’t in right.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i had no issues with the previous assembly. This one comes with the studs and has bolts on the backside to tighten to secure it to the axle. The drum fits nicely on the bolts no issues. I guess tomorrow morning i'll loosen it up and retighten everything see if that helps.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to the "Axles, Brakes, and Suspension" section
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for a squeal. I've had one on the family car since the day we had the brakes re-done and it's intermittent. I've also had one on the RV which occurred every time I tried to increase the controller input by .5. I lowered the controller level one notch and it was gone. Could be a hard spot on the rotor/drum. Having turned plenty of drums in the past, hard spots are not uncommon. Personally, I'd drop the controller a notch and see if that resolves the problem. I have a video where I did that and the squeal from one of the RV wheels completely disappeared after dropping .5 on the brake controller when it suddenly happened after one overnight stay.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucilini View Post
    Hello

I have a 2018 GD 2800bh and i've replaced all of the brake assembly all new from etrailer with the self adjust feature. One of them is making this noise. I've attached an icloud link. To me it seems like the magnet is touching the drum and making this noise. Any advice help would be appreciated. This is the only one that does it the other 3 went smoothly.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#020wK...FRtG3iOdEIRTXQ
    The clicking sound from the video seems equally spaced. That said the studs may not be pulled into the hub all the way and the manet assemble is coming into contact with each of them as you spin the hub. On the new magnet assemble there looks to be witness makes where the magnet and the studs are making contact on the top side of the magnet in the video. Pull the drum and verify the studs are not protruding above the inside of the hub surface. If so they need to be seated further in the hub.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast