User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert online Axles, Brakes and Frames Online Coarse

This link to Lippert axles, brakes and frames coarse was brought to our attention by another forum member. Thanks for sharing!!!
    This is excellent coarse and takes several hours to complete. Once you complete coarse take the exam and get your Certificate if you pass.
    Why pay someone hundreds of dollars to do regular yearly maintenance when you can do it yourself and know that it is done correctly.
    Most seals, bearings and other parts available on Amazon. The only special tools you may need is brass drift/punch and bearing race installation tool (can be rented at auto parts stores) - both availbale on Amazon for less than $50 for both.

This will also work with Dexter Axles

Thanks again to forum member that shared this - great people on this forum!!!

https://lippertrvowner.learnupon.com...t=%2Fdashboard
    Last edited by Buckskin; 02-07-2023 at 04:48 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a FWIW, don't use a brass drift with open ball/roller bearings. Brass will flake of and can find its way into the bearing, ruining it. Also don't use a hammer face directly on the bearing surface to get it started, use a soft steel drift to install the bearings. A press is best, but not many DIY'ers have one of those on hand.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brass drift or punch is used only to remove bearing races or cups that must be replaced due to damage. This prevents any damage to brake hub from steel drift or punch. Then everything is wiped down and cleaned before installing new bearing cup with proper tools.

It's all in training coarse.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know. Some people are unaware of the problems associated with using brass to install open bearings, thinking brass is good to use since it is a soft metal. Just a heads-up for those that haven't watched a good video.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I would need to be in a real pinch the drive races out and drive new in these days... Granted, my tool kit is ready, but I have the luxury of a 20T press in my garage. However, I just carry a spare rotor (disc conversion) in the crisis kit.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup... a press is always nice to have for bearing installs. But, some of us poor shade tree or "trail" mechanics with limited garage space at that have to get by with the hardened punch or a hand bearing puller to remove (inside axle) and a proper sized socket to drive in the new. After 40 years of doing it in the driveway, garage and on the trail (jeeping), I'd say "we dont need no stinking presses"! LOL!

BTW, used the press in the POV work shop while in the Army many of times. Does make it ALOT easier! Just be sure to keep clear when pushing off an axle bearing! Them axles can get angry quick when those bearings break lose...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Honestly, I would need to be in a real pinch the drive races out and drive new in these days... Granted, my tool kit is ready, but I have the luxury of a 20T press in my garage. However, I just carry a spare rotor (disc conversion) in the crisis kit.
    I have a 60 ton press, I never considered using it for bearing races though.They are so easy with hand tools that I never bothered. I hve used it to replace wheel studs, and press on differential carrier bearings And various other projects.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have a 60 ton press, I never considered using it for bearing races though.They are so easy with hand tools that I never bothered. I hve used it to replace wheel studs, and press on differential carrier bearings And various other projects.
    Ahhh... But so much easier with the press! Effortless really. I did my time working harder, not smarter, and the wear and tear on my back and joints remind me daily now!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Just Axles, brakes and frames, it's a total of 8 different courses for most all the systems, great resource thanks for posting.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool stuff I will sign up and take a look around. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast