User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I suspect you would be fine down to sustained well-below-freezing days with what you have - there is a decent amount of air exchange between your heated interior and the underbelly, especially if you open cabinets. Probably only a few of those super cold days a year depending on where you are.

Tank heaters not a bad idea and simple/easy. The heat tape wouldnt be too difficult to pair with foam pipe insulation and set up so you could just plug it in when it’s really cold.

You do have a dedicated heat duct to the belly. It’s the smaller diameter tube off the heater. Fwiw, we were also full-time in NC with electric and we ran all electric except the days where it was really cold. It wasn’t a ton of propane - maybe 14 or so days this winter even further north like we are.
    That's incredibly useful info, thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the 4 Screws that holds the intake grill off that is right under your refrigerator. We have a 22RBE XLS - and it is fed by a separate duct from heater that goes thru floor - you should be able to see this with grill cover off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heater Hose to under belly.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	44929

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdmillennium View Post
    Does anyone have photos or a diagram of the underbelly of a 17MKE? I haven't removed the underbelly yet, but I'm trying to see if there is a location that I could place a 300W bilge/engine heater that has a built-in fan. I am on shoreline power all year long and therefore would rather not use the propane heating.

I've seen the other approach in this forum to run an additional force fed air duct into the underbelly and use a space heater in the cabin, but I'd rather not be cutting holes in the floor or cabinets for the vent and ducts.

Any info/suggestions welcome!!

thanks in advance.
    You may want to check this out, it's a hybrid electric heater that is installed in conjunction with your existing propane furnace.

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

There is a YouTube video as well:

https://youtu.be/7NZtY6EpAn4

May be more than you want to spend but
    like it will solve your problem.

Good luck!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found 'self regulating heat tape'
    https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Freeze-P...dp/B096D8QP2G/

None of the overheating or electrical dangers of standard stuff. It's 12v and can't get hot spots! Far better than tank heaters.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG17MKE View Post
    You may want to check this out, it's a hybrid electric heater that is installed in conjunction with your existing propane furnace.

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

There is a YouTube video as well:

https://youtu.be/7NZtY6EpAn4

May be more than you want to spend but
    like it will solve your problem.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I saw this but it looks expensive.. has anyone had experience with these?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I found 'self regulating heat tape'
    https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Freeze-P...dp/B096D8QP2G/

None of the overheating or electrical dangers of standard stuff. It's 12v and can't get hot spots! Far better than tank heaters.
    Have you installed this? How is it better than tank heaters etc? Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdmillennium View Post
    Have you installed this? How is it better than tank heaters etc? Thanks!
    It's been for 2 winters. My first cold camping (about 20F overnight) the water lines to my rear sink froze. Yes I have a heated underbelly and was running my furnace. I later discovered they went under a tank so the only insulation was the belly cover.

Water lines are small will freeze far faster than tanks unless the tank is nearly empty. If I was full time in Canada I would want both! I made many small insulation improvements while the belly was open for other reasons so I'm confident the furnace will prevent total freezing. The heat tape keeps the water flowing.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    It's been for 2 winters. My first cold camping (about 20F overnight) the water lines to my rear sink froze. Yes I have a heated underbelly and was running my furnace. I later discovered they went under a tank so the only insulation was the belly cover.

Water lines are small will freeze far faster than tanks unless the tank is nearly empty. If I was full time in Canada I would want both! I made many small insulation improvements while the belly was open for other reasons so I'm confident the furnace will prevent total freezing. The heat tape keeps the water flowing.
    Thanks Rick - I spend last week in Calgary at -20F and am glad I wasn't in my RV! I'm based in North Texas, so it's rare to have incredibly cold temps (2 years ago we got down to 1F though). I am reluctant to winterize if possible as the RV is on a piece of land I own and is really a getaway. I am going to look into using the heat tape you recommended this winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12