User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New Reflections 31MB owner! Looking for set up advise!

Hi All,

Just put a deposit down on a new rig and I’m looking for feedback on the hitch set up I’m looking at. We are not new to the RV’ing world but are venturing into the new territory of the 5’er realm. I spent some time searching the forum to see if my question has already been addressed but my technical prowess leaves much to be desired. So I ask for a little grace if this is a repeat inquiry.

My TV is a 2016 Chevy 2500HD shortbed (no puck). The trailer we are purchasing is a 36’ Reflections 31MB. After all the research I’ve done, I decided on a B & W turnover ball and a Reese Goosebox. I also was looking at a 4” offset ball to increase turning radius without the worry of cab crush. When I relayed my desired set up to the dealer, he advised that I did not need the offset ball and that I would have “no problem” making a 90 degree turn if needed. I’m obviously a little skeptical having done quite a bit of reading on the subject prior to selecting this set up.

I would love to hear some feedback from anyone rocking a similar set up with a shortbed TV and if you think the 4” offset would be worth the investment regardless of what the dealer says. I appreciate any and all responses. Cheers!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zfyrman View Post
    Hi All,

Just put a deposit down on a new rig and I’m looking for feedback on the hitch set up I’m looking at. We are not new to the RV’ing world but are venturing into the new territory of the 5’er realm. I spent some time searching the forum to see if my question has already been addressed but my technical prowess leaves much to be desired. So I ask for a little grace if this is a repeat inquiry.

My TV is a 2016 Chevy 2500HD shortbed (no puck). The trailer we are purchasing is a 36’ Reflections 31MB. After all the research I’ve done, I decided on a B & W turnover ball and a Reese Goosebox. I also was looking at a 4” offset ball to increase turning radius without the worry of cab crush. When I relayed my desired set up to the dealer, he advised that I did not need the offset ball and that I would have “no problem” making a 90 degree turn if needed. I’m obviously a little skeptical having done quite a bit of reading on the subject prior to selecting this set up.

I would love to hear some feedback from anyone rocking a similar set up with a shortbed TV and if you think the 4” offset would be worth the investment regardless of what the dealer says. I appreciate any and all responses. Cheers!
    First off, welcome to the forum, hope you'll have a great time in the new coach. While I have the same model truck (one year younger), I don't have any experience with the hitch you're asking about. We're using the Anderson Ultimate, and while we do have the hitch oriented to move the ball further back, we've never had any issues with turning.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome and feedback. Do you know how far of a set back your system provides? Also, I’ve been told with gooseneck adapters, bed crush is also a concern. Any experiences to share with the trailer making contact with the bed rails when on uneven terrain?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zfyrman View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and feedback. Do you know how far of a set back your system provides? Also, I’ve been told with gooseneck adapters, bed crush is also a concern. Any experiences to share with the trailer making contact with the bed rails when on uneven terrain?
    So the center of the ball is 43 inches back from the front of the bed, probably 3 or 4 inches more to the cab. Our truck didn't have the OEM puck system, so we have a rail kit. No sign of bed crush so far, your Reflection is bigger than mine though. I did have some small scrapes on the rails for my tonneau cover, I raised the ball by one inch and haven't had any issues since. Just to be clear, I've never needed to do a 90-degree turn (or even close) so I couldn't say how that would work. For all the turns I've done, the coach has never even been close enough to be concerned.

Forum tip, when you Reply With Quote it makes it clearer who you're addressing.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S