User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200w or 400w Renogy kit?

Hi everyone. I have a 278BH with a 200ah battery bank (lithium) and a 1000w inverter. We go to Assateague once or twice a year and we run a propane generator during the day to recharge. I’d like to spell that a bit with solar. Should I get a 200w kit with the mppt (40amp) to start for like 350.00 or just bit the bullet and get the 400w kit? I know I can always add panels later. I just wonder how much a 200w system will make a difference. We use the inverter for lights and maybe a few hours of tv at night. No ac or anything. The fridge is propane.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have a 278BH with a 200ah battery bank (lithium) and a 1000w inverter. We go to Assateague once or twice a year and we run a propane generator during the day to recharge. I’d like to spell that a bit with solar. Should I get a 200w kit with the mppt (40amp) to start for like 350.00 or just bit the bullet and get the 400w kit? I know I can always add panels later. I just wonder how much a 200w system will make a difference. We use the inverter for lights and maybe a few hours of tv at night. No ac or anything. The fridge is propane.
    The 200-watt kit would probably hold you for basic use, with the 400-watt kit you probably won't run your genny much/ever.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also pick up a 400w kit for the price of the 200w kit but it comes with a PWM controller instead of an mppt.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also pick up a 400w kit for the price of the 200w kit but it comes with a PWM controller instead of an mppt.
    Do the 400W kit and plan on replacing the PWM charge controller with a MPPT controller, down the road.

The biggest difference between the two is an MPPT charge controller is about 30% more efficient than a PWM charge controller. The other difference is that an MPPT charge controller is more efficient in cloudy conditions since it can provide more amps to the battery bank.

PWM charge controllers are generally cheaper that MPPT charge controllers.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bite the bullet and get the 400w kit with mppt. One and done...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Just bite the bullet and get the 400w kit with mppt. One and done...
    Oh, and be sure to spread the panels out on your roof to help with partial shading. I placed mine near each other for convenience sake, but regret in now. All it takes is more cable and connectors...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with 400 watts kit if you must, but maybe not a kit. Solar is like a drug; more you get the more you need.

Let say you go with the 400 watts of solar, you only will be getting half of that value for charging and less during the morning and evening. Let's say your battery is down 70% or another way to see it is that you used 140-amp hours during the evening and night. Now you need to charge 140-amp hours back into the battery. The solar will likely only produce around 150-225 watts if lucky and will produce 15 amps at peak for only a few hours in a day with much less before and after the peak. However, let just say the sun shines at peak (not going to happen) for 9 hours therefore the battery is back to 100% or 15-amps x 9 hours for 140-amp hours. However, this also means you didn't use any power during the day either, no lights, no microwave, no charging of phones or laptop etc. and that is likely not going happen either. I did something a little different, 525 watts of panels (400 in your case) and gotten a DC-DC charger and Solar MPPT. Instead of two separate units I gotten the Renogy DCC50S that has both functions. The DCC50S outputs 50 amps maximum. If just the truck it will do 50 amps. If truck plus solar then the truck produces only 25 amps and the solar 25 amps max. Since you should always have a fuse and ON/OFF switch from the solar panels to whatever solar charger, turning the solar off will give 50 amps from the truck. So, as you run down the road you are charging your battery regardless of the sun, but if sun is shining you can do both truck and solar which is a bonus. So, if you are at the campsite, run the truck a few hours and solar or just the truck or just the solar and charged your battery - lots of combo here.

I know you said you have a generator; however other people reading these threads may not have a generator and yet have a truck. The recent Texas ice storm we lost power for three and half days. Moved into the RV and turned the 3K inverter on for 24/7, a long cord to the house freezer, watch TV, VPN for work, CPAP and charging mobile devices. Even with 1050 watts of solar going through a 100-amp MPPT (upgraded since that first phase), I still moved the truck nearby to add another 50 amps along with the Solar's 40 amps. I ran the truck for two hours adding 100-amp hours into the battery. Makes for a good generator when one does not have or want a generator.
    Dark sky of the Texas Hill Country
    2022 2600RB
    Renogy; 1050 Watts Solar, 3000 Watt Inverter, Rover 100 Amp MPPT and DCC50S
    2022 F250 Lariat Godzilla 7.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I think I’m skipping the solar after reading all of this. I have a Renogy 40amp dc to dc charger on board that I use when we drive. It’s nice to power the refrigerator without propane and know that my batteries are fully charged when I get where I’m going. My generator is a Champion dual fuel and it’s very quiet. I think what I might do I make a jumper cable to connect my truck to the camper when it’s parked so I can run the truck and use the dc to dc charger if I need it. The cord is not long enough if I’m unhitched. I think solar might just be a poor use of funds. I wanted to know that the batteries are charging when we are away from camp but the more I think about it, I can just supplement the on board charger when the generator is running by connecting to my truck.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I think I’m skipping the solar after reading all of this. I have a Renogy 40amp dc to dc charger on board that I use when we drive. It’s nice to power the refrigerator without propane and know that my batteries are fully charged when I get where I’m going. My generator is a Champion dual fuel and it’s very quiet. I think what I might do I make a jumper cable to connect my truck to the camper when it’s parked so I can run the truck and use the dc to dc charger if I need it. The cord is not long enough if I’m unhitched. I think solar might just be a poor use of funds. I wanted to know that the batteries are charging when we are away from camp but the more I think about it, I can just supplement the on board charger when the generator is running by connecting to my truck.
    It's all a matter of how you will use it. For some, like @Second Chance, they didn't have solar on their coach, although they did upgrade to LiFePO4 batteries and converter.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe so regarding the funds. When I gotten my first 200ah LiFePO4 battery, in the package of material was a sheet that I believe has a good recommendation regarding ratio. A 200AH battery requires 600 watts of solar power. I have to agree with that ratio. Also, the LiFePO4 is the first item then follows how to charge it. Biggest expense is the battery, you done that. With just one panel and a MPPT controller you can get started and add panels as needed. Once you get to 600-800 watts, then solar will keep up with 80 to 90% of your needs. Then you don't have to worry about lugging a generator, you have your truck for those rare occasions.
    Dark sky of the Texas Hill Country
    2022 2600RB
    Renogy; 1050 Watts Solar, 3000 Watt Inverter, Rover 100 Amp MPPT and DCC50S
    2022 F250 Lariat Godzilla 7.3L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast