User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snap Pads vs. Jack Blocks

Greetings all,

Just recently got a Solitude 3330RE-R. I intend on living out of this for the last year of my military career, then using for weekend getaways with the family when I get a "big boy job," post retirement. Salesman have both recommended the snap pads and the Andersen Jack blocks at the same time. However, wouldn't the snap pads be irrelevant, if I am to use the jack blocks? Not trying to cut corners, just trying to rationalize the cash, with my up comming retirement. If anyone has pros and cons of either option, or both, please let me hear them to best form a decision. Thanks in advance.

2022 Solitude 3330RE-R
    2019 Chevy Duramax 2500HD

-Jamie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the camp that think Snap Pads are an answer to an unasked question. I have some Andersen "buckets" and the Camco yellow blocks. I always use the buckets or the blocks to shorten the length of the leveler legs. I feel the shorter the length of the hydraulic leg extension the more stable the trailer will be.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Udale84 View Post
    Greetings all,

Just recently got a Solitude 3330RE-R. I intend on living out of this for the last year of my military career, then using for weekend getaways with the family when I get a "big boy job," post retirement. Salesman have both recommended the snap pads and the Andersen Jack blocks at the same time. However, wouldn't the snap pads be irrelevant, if I am to use the jack blocks? Not trying to cut corners, just trying to rationalize the cash, with my up comming retirement. If anyone has pros and cons of either option, or both, please let me hear them to best form a decision. Thanks in advance.

2022 Solitude 3330RE-R
    2019 Chevy Duramax 2500HD

-Jamie
    Hello Jamie, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your new coach. As to blocks or pads, I'm sure both have their advantages, a lot will depend on how you camp.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Udale84 View Post
    Greetings all,
    Just recently got a Solitude 3330RE-R. I intend on living out of this for the last year of my military career, then using for weekend getaways with the family when I get a "big boy job," post retirement. Salesman have both recommended the snap pads and the Andersen Jack blocks at the same time. However, wouldn't the snap pads be irrelevant, if I am to use the jack blocks? Not trying to cut corners, just trying to rationalize the cash, with my up comming retirement. If anyone has pros and cons of either option, or both, please let me hear them to best form a decision. Thanks in advance.-Jamie
    I agree that both pads and blocks on the same jack would be redundant. Use one or the other on each jack. I like the blocks because they shorten the jack extension and improve stability. Our 5er has 6 jacks. I use blocks on the front two and back two and pads in the middle.

I looked at the Anderson blocks and rejected them because they looked a bit flimsy IMO. I've seen pictures of shattered Anderson blocks. I visualized the damage from one front corner collapsing to the ground. I bought these instead - https://a.co/d/6YeFoJU - for the front jacks. They are hell-for-stout because the interior vanes go all the way to the ground. They don't nest like the Anderson blocks and are a bit heavier. Using the Anderson blocks for the rear jacks would generally be OK because if one fails, it simply drops the trailer a little bit onto the suspension. If the jacks are used to completely unload the suspension, that's a different story. I would never trust these blocks for safety if I was removing a wheel or working underneath the RV.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I feel the shorter the length of the hydraulic leg extension the more stable the trailer will be.
    That makes two of us, but I use homemade 12"x12"x2" pads and keep the plastic Camco ones for leveling the trailer side-to-side if needed.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I got the Andersen buckets when we bought the trailer about 2 years ago. I wouldn't have bought them for the reasons listed above and the PO had to replace one due to cracks. However that was covered under warranty. We've used them on this 17,000 lb. 5th wheel with no issues, so maybe they've done a redesign for greater strength. I do like the magnets so you don't have to fiddle with exact placement. But we've also had quite a few times when it wasn't possible to use the Andersen buckets on the front legs, so I certainly wouldn't rely on only Andersen buckets.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

We are doing the exact same thing as soon as our house sells, just got it on the market.

We like the andersen buckets, we've used them on our last 2 RVs and they work well. There have been a few occasions where there wasn't enough room to get the buckets in place on the middle or rear jacks. We had one crack on the upper lip that surrounds the jack, but andersen replaced it under warranty fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about snap pads. Good thing with the buckets is they will not require as much jack extension which results in more stability.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response and recommendation. I will look into your buckets, similar price, double the weight rating!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried the buckets. I have the snap pads, I think they are a waste of money. I use 12x12x2 wooden blocks under the snap pads.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I boondock quite often and park on uneven and varying surfaces, including some pretty soft stuff (sand).
    I've been totally happy with the snap pads and haven't found a need for buckets, wood, rocks, whatever. The buckets seem like
    just one more thing to deal with when landing or leaving.

As for stability - I'd never change a tire with the buckets under the jacks. I'd absolutely change one with the snap pads on.

My 349M has been quite stable even with the jacks extended this much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210804_075717.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	44816

The Anderson buckets were discussed at length here ..
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...n-Jack-Buckets
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 02-07-2023 at 06:26 PM.
    signature

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast