Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: x chocks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zibberfitchy View Post
    I use X chocks in addition to the normal wedge wheel chocks. The X chocks are not rated to replace normal wheel chocks. X chocks are to help provide stability to keep your trailer from rocking.
    So, what you're saying is, "If your trailer is a rockin', you're probably not X-chockin".
    I'll be here all week folks. Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.

And X-chock, if you use my slogan, you can mail my royalty checks to the nearest campground.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use them on our TT, which is larger, and believe they help make things a bit more stable.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    My wife and I performed a highly regulated, incredibly well designed, double-blind randomized control, cross-over study. There was no observational bias at all (well, at least until I found the receipt for the x-chocks).

We arrived at a site in NH last year. My son and I installed the X-chocks during set up as per usual, but then I loosened them so they were hanging somewhat loosely from the upper braces between the tires. I told my wife I would tighten them up at some point in the evening, and to let me know when she noticed a difference. We went about our normal evening with kids and dogs moving around inside the camper. While sitting around the campfire, she went in to use the bathroom. I stealthily snuck around the wheels and tightened the x-chocks. It was a couple of hours later as were getting ready for bed when she mentioned I had forgotten to tighten the x-chocks. To enhance the study even further, I had asked my son to randomly loosen the x-chocks at some point during our stay without telling my wife or me, but leave them tight enough so that it looked like they were properly installed (the slides extend over the wheels, so unless you bend down and look closely, you can't tell if they are properly tightened or not). My son claims he loosened them the next morning while we were out walking the dogs and we spent 2 more days with the x-chocks loose. We could never tell the difference between installed and not installed. We might have had minimal improvement when we used them on our travel trailer. Maybe. Given the rigidity of this study, (pun intended), we will publish our scientific results. In a coloring book.

I think some youtuber (Jared?) did a video where he assessed the various stabilizer systems. Don't think x-chocks faired very well. But, we still haul those things around for some reason.

I have a set and gave up on them 2yrs ago. Too much work and no noticeable difference.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, they help with that twisting type rocking you get if you're in the front of the trailer and someone else is in the rear. A bunk house for example. My friend with a 28BH complained to me that he could feel it in his bed up front whenever his teenage daughter would roll over in bed or get up to use the bathroom. After I told him to try the X chocks, he said that was almost completely eliminated.

In my own testing, our 65 lb golden retriever will occasionally pant in the night. She sleeps back by the bathroom door on our 2600RB. Her panting is enough for me to feel in bed without X chocks. I don't feel it when I put them in place.

For subtle disturbances, I think they're great.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good though but works in situation with dirt, not gravel or concrete pad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234