User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out motor wiring

Greetings! Just joined this forum finding all sorts of useful info....Thanks! Getting ready to get out of the cold/wet and head south for some sun and the kitchen slide on our 2020 Reflection 337RLS stopped working yesterday. After poking around I found a loose red wire on the motor. There are two wires, one red and one black coming out of the motor. The red wire approximately 6" long was hanging down not connected to anything. There is about 1/4" of bare wire exposed on the end. I called Lippert and was told this is the power wire. I need to know where to connect this wire. Lippert tech told me it should be obvious, but I could only get the bottom cover down about 4" so really could not see much. Tomorrow I intend to take off the spare tire and remove more screws from the cover so I can get better access. Any suggestions from someone with more experience would be very helpful. I am not much of an electrician and don't want to burn anything up by doing it wrong, nor do I want to damage the cover. We leave on the 21st of Feb so hopefully I can get this figured out before then. Not many Grand Design dealers in the Seattle area, all being more than 2 hours away and not getting much help from them.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Slide Systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gailngrant View Post
    Greetings! Just joined this forum finding all sorts of useful info....Thanks! Getting ready to get out of the cold/wet and head south for some sun and the kitchen slide on our 2020 Reflection 337RLS stopped working yesterday. After poking around I found a loose red wire on the motor. There are two wires, one red and one black coming out of the motor. The red wire approximately 6" long was hanging down not connected to anything. There is about 1/4" of bare wire exposed on the end. I called Lippert and was told this is the power wire. I need to know where to connect this wire. Lippert tech told me it should be obvious, but I could only get the bottom cover down about 4" so really could not see much. Tomorrow I intend to take off the spare tire and remove more screws from the cover so I can get better access. Any suggestions from someone with more experience would be very helpful. I am not much of an electrician and don't want to burn anything up by doing it wrong, nor do I want to damage the cover. We leave on the 21st of Feb so hopefully I can get this figured out before then. Not many Grand Design dealers in the Seattle area, all being more than 2 hours away and not getting much help from them.
    Hoping someone jumps in to help here with personal experience on the motor connections. We have not had an issue yet to need to drop the coroplast. When they said it should be obvious they are in reference to a secondary loose wire hanging down. Once located be sure to clean the wire ends and use a watertight connection. Test fully prior to reinstalling the coroplast. I do think once the other end of the power wire is located the repair should be straight forward.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the mean time you should be able to manually crank the slide in and out.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gailngrant View Post
    the kitchen slide on our 2020 Reflection 337RLS stopped working yesterday.
    Do you know what kind of slide it is? Lippert has wiring diagrams for their slides.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I was able to create enough access by lowering the spare and taking out about eight perimeter screws. It was a simple fix. There were two wires running to the motor, one connected to the black motor wire, the other with no other wire connected. I was able to test that wire for 12 volts and reconnected with a new connector. I redid the black wire also and zipped tired both wires to the motor to keep them secure. Thankful for a relative easy fix. 10 hours of research and phone calls and 1 hour to fix it. YAY!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still curious about which slide brand it is and mostly about the wire gage that goes to the motors. We measured how much 12v current is used when my main slide comes in and found it to be 14A. Assuming 7A to each motor, I'm wondering if the motor wires are big enough for this, as sometimes the slide just stops before being in completely.
    Also, assuming schwintek like mine, what are the motors rated at? I think someone here upgraded the motor wires and that cured the same problem. Hopefully that member will see this and jump in...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just doing a quick search in the parts look up on the Grand Design site, they appear to be Schwintec Slides
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems odd for loose wires to be dangling about. The manual shows a motor harness with a connector that plugs into the motor as a set, not individual wires...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I'm still curious about which slide brand it is and mostly about the wire gage that goes to the motors. We measured how much 12v current is used when my main slide comes in and found it to be 14A. Assuming 7A to each motor, I'm wondering if the motor wires are big enough for this, as sometimes the slide just stops before being in completely.
    Also, assuming schwintek like mine, what are the motors rated at? I think someone here upgraded the motor wires and that cured the same problem. Hopefully that member will see this and jump in...
    The OP has a 2020 337, same as my trailer. Kitchen and dining room slides are Lippert through frame rack and pinion and the bedroom is schwintek. I don’t know the wire gauge used.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually