User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Affordable Solar -- How To Design and Install an Affordable Solar System

Many RVers are interested in having a Solar system on their RV. However, many RVers have been put off by the expense of having a Solar system installed, especially, by the high costs associated with having an RV Dealer install a system for them.

Installing a Solar system on an RV doesn't have to cost an "arm and a Leg" today. Solar panel costs have dropped by over 80% since 2010 and over the past few years the cost for Lithium batteries (LiFePO4) have dropped to the point of being competitive with AGM or even Lead Acid batteries (see Forum link below).

Lithium-over-Lead-Acid-batteries

Obviously, the best way to reduce the cost of a system is to do most of the work yourself. However, you can still get a great system installed affordably, even if, you hire someone to do the parts that you are not able to do yourself. Additionally, installing your system over a few camping seasons is also a good way to reduce the costs and keep your wallet happy. In the Forum Post: "How to Install Solar in Phases" (linked below) there are many ideas on where to start and how to save money by designing your "finished" system before you start buying components. Having your whole system planned out in the beginning will help keep you from buying components for the system you have today and needing to replace them before you get your final system installed. A good example is your Inverter, you could buy a 1,500 Watt Inverter that will handle all your needs for the next couple of years, however, if you designed your final system around a 3,000 Watt Inverter/Charger, you are going to wind up with a slightly used 1,500 Watt Inverter for sale on Craigs List for $50.

Installing-a-Solar-System-in-Phases

Another way to reduce costs is by using "residential" Solar panels instead of the more common (in the RV world) 100 - 200 Watt Renogy, Furrion or NewPowa panels. If you shop for residential panels in the 325 to 425 Watt range you will find the price of the solar panels are around $0.55 cents per Watt (440 Watt Canadian Solar Panel for $238 = $0.54 per watt [Feb 10, 2023]). The one caveat with choosing any Solar panel for your RV is to make certain they will fit on your roof (I recommend making cardboard cutouts of your prospective panels [include space for mounting brackets] and test fit them on your roof before ordering the panels). See Forum post: "Using Residential Solar Panels on Your Camper" (link below).

Using-Residental-Solar-Panels-on-Your-Camper

The final components that have really made installing a Solar system more affordable in the past couple of years is Lithium Batteries (LiFePo4). These Lithium batteries store twice as much energy as Lead Acid batteries and they weigh less than 1/2 as much. They also charge up extremely fast and maintain a higher voltage during the discharge cycle. Speaking of discharge cycles, these Lithium batteries will last 10 times as long as a Lead Acid battery with cycle ratings above 4,000, vs.: 200 - 300 for a Lead Acid battery.

Lithium battery prices have really dropped over the past few years; from around $1,000 for a 12 volt, 100 amp hour (ah) battery to $259 (includes shipping) for a 12v, 100ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. These batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry and not Lithium Ion chemistry. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries are safer than the Lithium Ion batteries you are familiar with that can catch on fire and have been the subject of many high profile recalls (Samsung, Chevy Bolt).

There is a really good discussion about the advantages of Lithium batteries and why you might consider purchasing the lower cost batteries that are available today in the Forum Post: "Cheap Batteries Are Coming, Cheap Batteries Are Coming, Cheap Lithium Batteries are Coming" (link below).

Cheap-Batteries-are-Coming-Cheap-Batteries-are-Coming-Cheap-Lithium-Batteries?

Here is a more recent post showing more recent pricing (Feb. 2023):

Cheap-Lithium-Batterues-New-Lowest-Price-as-of-Feb-23

Many people have had good results with these lower priced Lithium batteries. Here is a Forum posting of some of their results:

Cheap-Lithium-Batteries-Do-You-Have-Them-Do-You-Like-Them?

All-in all, if you choose the right components, and you are judicious in your spending, you can build yourself a Very, Very, affordable Solar system that will meet your family's needs for as long as you own your camper.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 02-10-2023 at 01:29 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if Victron would just have a 50% off sale......
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV, Great post!!! Besides building the system, make sure the investment is covered by the insurance on the coach. Because the investment can be significant, it's important to talk to your insurer to determine if damage, theft, etc. is covered. Our very close full-time friends had their BattleBorn bank and all of the equipment stripped out of their front compartment. Their coach was in a CG storage area while they took a trip to Hawaii for their daughter's wedding. Their particular insurer's comprehensive policy was not so comprehensive and did not cover them! There was a real gotcha in the fine print of their policy.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David - excellent post......thanks, for sharing !

You have done a wonderful job over the years here on the forum sharing many helpful, informative, and valuable posts on solar. Many of us really appreciate your extensive knowledge and willingness to help others learn and take appropriate actions.

I for one know that if I make moves on a solar system, you (along with others here) will be on my "speed dial" list lol !

Thanks, again David !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

You have done a wonderful job over the years here on the forum sharing many helpful, informative, and valuable posts on solar. Many of us really appreciate your extensive knowledge and willingness to help others learn and take appropriate actions.

I for one know that if I make moves on a solar system, you (along with others here) will be on my "speed dial" list lol !

Thanks, again David !

Dan
    Thank you Dan for the kind words and appreciation.

Sincerely,

David
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

Thanks, again David !

Dan
    Couldn't of said better. I've learned so much from David and other on this subject and RVing. Thanks again @SolarPoweredRV
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently reminded of another trick I used to make my installation more affordable and reliable:

When it came to wiring my Solar panels on the roof, I saved time and money by buying pre-made Solar cables for my roof wiring. I bought cables that were twice as long as my run from each panel pair and cut them in the middle to go into my roof mounted combiner box. This saved me from needing to install any mc4 connectors, all my mc4 connectors are factory installed which should add to the robustness and reliability of the system.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mc4 cables are very easy to make and save money like 50% if willing.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    Mc4 cables are very easy to make and save money like 50% if willing.
    True, however, for only four connectors, I felt buying 2 long cables and cutting them in half was cheaper than buying the cable, the connectors, and the tool(s) required to assemble them, was the cheapest way to go. It was certainly the easiest.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I was having a discussion in another thread and realized that it would be helpful to have the following thread linked here:

So please check out this additional information...

Cheap-Lithium-Batteries-How-to-Avoid-Buying-The-Wrong-Battery
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast