User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just upgraded to a 6000# axle from a 4400#...

I have a 2019 2600RB and went to Alaska this summer from Florida. After about 11,000 miles in I noticed my drivers rear tire was wearing uneven. Took it to a shop in the Yukon and they said I bent an axel and recommended I upgrade everything to the tune of $5000. No thanks. I replaced tire and drove another 4000 miles home.
    I just ordered and installed new 6K# axel, springs, brakes and 12" hubs on the rear one only. Cost me about $1000 delivered for everything including new ubolts and plates.
    Anyway...my friend has a 24ft Winnebago that weighs the same as mine empty and his comes standard with 5200# axels. I decided that after this summers trip to Maine, and the Canadian Maritimes, I may upgrade my front axel to a 6000# one too since I plan on returning to Alaska in 2024.
    Why doesn't GD put heavier axels and springs on the 2600RB? I mean...it cost about the same and their would be less issues and more braking power with 12" hubs. Is it marketing where they advertise that a loaded 2600RB is made for a 1/2 ton truck and upgrading the axels would mean more payload capacity?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe they used to come with 3500 lb axles and they "upgraded" them at some point to 4400. Mine are solid so far but if I ever tweak one, I'll go heavier too. Not much cost difference. Just need to make sure you get the right brakes and hubs.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    I believe they used to come with 3500 lb axles and they "upgraded" them at some point to 4400. Mine are solid so far but if I ever tweak one, I'll go heavier too. Not much cost difference. Just need to make sure you get the right brakes and hubs.
    Yeah...I needed breaks also on that axel and by the time I buy brakes I could get the upgraded axel, springs, brakes, 12" hubs, mounting hardware and shipping for about $1050. It was a no brainer. I will probably do the other one next winter.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    Yeah...I needed breaks also on that axel and by the time I buy brakes I could get the upgraded axel, springs, brakes, 12" hubs, mounting hardware and shipping for about $1050. It was a no brainer. I will probably do the other one next winter.
    Did you buy 1 or 2? If it was 2 could you please post a link to the place where you got them. Last time I checked it was that much for just 1 axle delivered.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Did you buy 1 or 2? If it was 2 could you please post a link to the place where you got them. Last time I checked it was that much for just 1 axle delivered.
    From what I read he just changed one
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It was just one...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    And the wheels/tires are the same? Could you share source/part number/
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    You canc spec just about anything you want on axles You need the proper hub face measurement, and spring perch measurement. These are often on a stick on the axle tube. Other that you can get heavier tubes bigger brakes, EZ lube or not . THere are some limitations, the biggest 6 lug drum is on a 7K axle
    Auto Safety House is where I have bought most of mine. They have a lot of locations nationwide. A custom axle does't cost much more, you just gotta wait for it to be made.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    You have to look at your tag on your axel to get the hub face and spring center measurements. Dexter 5200# and up use 12" brake hubs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Imagine 2970RL, we replaced the 4400# axles with 6000# axles and Morryde suspension. Much better all around. Had really bad tire wear with the 4400's. Grand Design, in my opinion, should use heavier axles. That being said, we had an Imagine 2600RB that we took to Alaska, 15,000 mile trip, and had no issues with stock suspension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast